registry cleaner ?

Nic

I have been using CCleaner for a little over 2 months now and so far its performed better then I could have imagined . I always use the registry cleaner ,and I also always backup the registry B/4 using the cleaner ! My ? is , since I do not use all the applications on my PC ,except once in awhile how can I be sure no important registry entries have been delelted . Also how long should I keep the backups of the registry ,they are starting to stack up ? I have a 250G.B. internial H.D. and a 320G.B. externial H.D. ,so hard drive space is not the issuse ,with that said I still like to remove un-needed items when they are no longer of any use ! Thanks to all those who reply, thank you to the good people at Piriform and a HAPPY THANKSGIVING to all !

Take Care , Nick

Thanks to all those who reply, thank you to the good people at Piriform and a HAPPY THANKSGIVING to all !

Take Care , Nick

Hi Nic,

Welcome to the forums !!!

Glad to see that CCleaner is doing good things for you. Same for me.

I use ERUNT to automatically backup and delete old backups of the Registry and other important system files.

It all depends on how long you think is sufficient. I keep backups for 7 days and then they are automatically deleted by the program that creates them. I REBOOT at least once a day if possible. Some people REBOOT less often. The ERUNT program creates 1 copy on each day that it is REBOOTED.

Hope this helps. I use both programs from this author.

http://www.larshederer.homepage.t-online.de/erunt/index.htm

Good luck,

:) davey

Hi Davey ,

I appreciate your response to my ?'s and I plan on following the lnk you provided me and checking out the program you suggested. I will let you know if I decide to follow your lead and use that app. ! I have two other utilities on my PC one is the System Mechanic ,which will locate obsolete or erroneous registry entries and another utility called Tune Up Utilities which I just downloaded a couple of days ago and Iam still finding out how it works . With CCleaner the best assets seem to be how safe it is when it comes to the registry and how fast it works . Unlike many other utilities you do not have to sit forever and wait for it to scan your system ,its fast as can be !

Well thanks again and thank you for the warm welcome !

Take Care ,Nick

Hi Davey ,

With CCleaner the best assets seem to be how safe it is when it comes to the registry and how fast it works . Unlike many other utilities you do not have to sit forever and wait for it to scan your system ,its fast as can be !

Well thanks again and thank you for the warm welcome !

Take Care ,Nick

Hi Nick,

I apologize that I overlooked your question regarding the CCleaner .reg backups.

This is an important subject. You say that you do not use all your software immediately after doing Registry issues fixing. If something shows on the Registry scan I would be suspicious about anything that shows up that I did not recently do some sort of maintenace. Anyhow these files are normally small and I would wait at least 2 cycles of use. I normally save them a lot longer than that. I haven't used the Registry issues fixing in quite awhile anyway. Since I cleaned up my PC after 3 1/2 years of use with no maintenance.

I don't do much software installing,testing, and uninstalling like many of the other members do. There is nothing wrong with them doing so since they test things out and provide valuable information related to such products. They are also very knowledgable about how to get themselves out of trouble. "Most users" are not and I advise them to leave the Registry alone. "Most users" will never see any performance improvements by removing things from the Registry. Messing with the Registry is only advised to fix specific problems.

I would not even bother with anything other than CCleaner when it comes to registry issues removal but I probably won't use it for a long while now.

Good luck, :) davey