Cookie Handling Preference

Selvan

Hi,

Great program and forum, thank you all.

I'd like to know, is there a way to have CCleaner v2.13.720 list all new cookies in the "Cookies to Keep" side by default?

My habit is to surf for days, run a malware utility to find the unwanted cookies and have CCleaner keep all cookies except for those. I'd like to use the "Run CCleaner when the computer starts" to auto delete those all the time but all new cookies will also be deleted so I can't take advantage of that great feature.

If I can't change where new cookies are listed, can you suggest an alternate routine in regards to cookies?

Thanks.

Selvan

Hi,

Great program and forum, thank you all.

Thanks.

Selvan

Hi Selvan,

Welcome to the forums !!! :D

I find your "new cookies list" request interesting.

I can't provide any alternative "cookies" methods but the new CCleaner version is available.

Latest CCleaner v 2.14 Nov. 26,2008

http://forum.piriform.com/index.php?showto...mp;#entry121512

Best wishes,

:) davey

Hi Davey,

I got the new version installed but there is still no option for that.

It's my thinking that most cookies are for my browsing convenience so why not keep them all except the malware ones? That said, I think it would be better if , by default, CCleaner kept them all. What's your thought on that?

Question: The cookies listed in CCleaner, whether to keep of not, are they actually stored by CCleaner or is it simply a list of cookies stored by other apps? I've searched the forums and read through the Beginners Guide to no avail.

Thanks and Happy Thanksgiving!!!

Selvan

Hi Davey,

Thanks and Happy Thanksgiving!!!

Selvan

Hi Selvan,

Most users come to CCleaner with literally over a thousand "cookies".

You can turn the "cookies" cleaning off and on as you need it.

This link may help you. http://forum.piriform.com/index.php?s=&amp...st&p=121522

:) davey Most cookies are not needed. They just slow down your browsing while all the bean counting websites fiddle with them. The only "cookies" I save are for my favorite websites like Piriform,CCleaner,Recuva,Defraggler,IE7Pro and other software sites I support. I want the bean counters to count them.

I use the HOSTS file for sites that like to leave their cookie droppings on my system plus it helps to prevent known malware sites from invading my system:

http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm <== has a good description about the HOSTS file

I use HostsMan to manage my HOSTS file and its companion proxy HostsServer to speed up the Internet.

http://www.abelhadigital.com

I only use hpHosts and MVPS HOSTS file.

The HOSTS file works for all browsers.

"Education is what remains after one has forgotten everything he learned in school." - Albert Einstein

IE7Pro user

One of the biggest reasons I came to CCleaner was to clean cookies at boot. I visit far too many new sites daily to selectively save the keepers, it would just be too much extra effort sorting through them all the time.

Re; the HOST file, thanks, I think it's time I look into it. I've heard about it often.

Rgds.

Selvan

Hi YoKenny,

I started using the HOSTS file and HostsServer like you mentioned, thanks.

I'm now only keeping selected cookies and so far none of my Malware utilities have detected a single thing. I must say that browsing seems to be a bit slower even though I changed DNS Client to Manual (I keep checking it and never starts). Do you have any recommendations?

Thanks.

Selvan

I must say that browsing seems to be a bit slower even though I changed DNS Client to Manual (I keep checking it and never starts).

Do you have HostsServer running?

Do you have its proxy enabled in its Preferences Server tab?

I have it enabled plus I start it automatically with Windows with its icon in the Taskbar notification area with Logging enabled with Log referrer so that I can see the effectiveness of the HOSTS file.

The HostsServer forum is quite helpful for usage information:

http://forum.abelhadigital.com

"Education is what remains after one has forgotten everything he learned in school." - Albert Einstein

IE7Pro user

Yes, I too have HostsServer start with Windows with loggging set like you mentioned.

But where is this proxy setting you refer to?

I went to:

HostsMan, Tools, Additional Information and under Network, it says Proxy: Not used.

If you don't mind my asking, how do I enable it?

Thanks.

Selvan

But where is this proxy setting you refer to?

Its not in HostsMan but in HostsServer.

Do you see its gray S down in the information area of the Task bar?

If yes then right click it then Show Control Panel then go to Preferences then Server to set up its properties like I indicated before.

IE7Pro user

I've tried becoming a member at adelhadigital for a couple days now but it keeps saying an error occurred so I hope you can help me here. I did send an e-mail to the admin about it.

What is the error?

You are running a real old version of HostsServer.

I am running HostsMan 3.2.70 Beta6 and it is running very well with no problems so far:

http://www.abelhadigital.com

Go to Add/Remove Programs and un-install HostsMan then install the new version.

IE7Pro user

I go to http://forum.abelhadigital.com/ and click on Register, I ensure I complete all the fields fully, I enter a 9 character Username, a 6 character password twice, a real google e-mail address twice, the unique security code, check to agree to the terms, and finally I click Submit my registration. I got the below page 5 mins ago, several hours ago and also 2 or 3 days ago (no change).

Since you didn't mention to go the Beta route, I thought the latest Non-Beta release of HostsMan would be the safer route! The HostsServer version I'm running is the one installed by it.

Beta it is than.

Thanks.

Selvan

post-24961-1228363152_thumb.jpg

post-24961-1228363152_thumb.jpg

Do you have its proxy enabled in its Preferences Server tab?

Sorry but I still don't see it. The only place I see the word Proxy is in HostsMan (not HostsServer), Tools, Options, Update, Proxy Server = Auto-Detect.

post-24961-1228369804_thumb.jpg

post-24961-1228369804_thumb.jpg

The bottom pictures are from HostsServer and they are set correctly as far as I can see and the only difference is that I chose a small image to be displayed instead of message and image.

What do you see when you look at the Log file?

This is what I see

t2425_analyt.png

That lets me know that the HOSTS file is blocking www.google-analytics.com

Regarding the log in problem.

The forum had a problem with spammers and certain IP address ranges have been blocked so PM me the your IP address plus what ID you want and I will ask the application author why you can not sign up to the forum.

IE7Pro user

Okay, so all is good. Surfing is much better with the beta version, I will add. I do see the same blocking of www.google-analytics.com in the logs.

PM sent <edit 1> disregard the PM, it's being taken care of!

Thanks.

Selvan

Okay, so all is good. Surfing is much better with the beta version, I will add. I do see the same blocking of www.google-analytics.com in the logs.

PM sent <edit 1> disregard the PM, it's being taken care of!

Thanks.

Selvan

I opened up a topic anyway and if you can see it then respond over there.

I am glad that they are working better for you now.

IE7Pro user

Please remove my IP for all to see in that topic!

Thanks you.

Selvan

I took care of it and I see that you are OK now.

IE7Pro user