Registry Error with Plug and Play devices

chrissywiss

Wow, it seems that when one problem is fixed with my computer another begins. I have had to restore to factory defaults about 100 times since I got this computer, exageration but it feels like that way for sure.

I have used CCleaner only to remove item which I new what they were but now when I plug in my CreativeZEN mp3 player or my husband plugs in his Samsung MP3 player we get the following message:

Windows cannot start this hardware device because its configuration information (in the registry) is incomplete or damaged. (Code 19)

Click 'Check for solutions' to send data about this device to Microsoft and to see if there is a solution available.

I restored from the registry back up just to see if I had deleted something without realizing I had but even after that I still get this error.

Does anyone have a clue as to 1. Why this is happening? and 2. How I can fix it?

Please help. I am going on a trip soon and I would really like to have my mp3 for the trip :-)

BTW I thought it might be the USB port but I pluged my palm into the port and was able to sync it to the computer without a problem. HELPPPPPPP :blink:

After searching in Google for Windows cannot start this hardware device because its configuration information (in the registry) is incomplete or damaged. (Code 19) I saw this fix recommended a couple of times:

http://www.raymond.cc/blog/archives/2008/0...-damage-code-19

I also recommend USBDeview to find what USB Device Has Been Used On Your Computer:

http://www.raymond.cc/blog/archives/2007/0...n-your-computer

It looks like plugging in a device with similar properties disables its use.

"Education is what remains after one has forgotten everything he learned in school." - Albert Einstein

IE7Pro user

Well so I started experimenting after I read your reply, thank you by the way. I found a section that said upper filter instead of lower filter like the article said so I was a little aprehensive about removing it from the registry not being sure what it was. I did download the USBdeview and after installing it and looking through it I got the idea that I should uninstall both the plug and play devices that were not working. After uninstalling them and then reconnecting them the device manager was able to locate the device once again.

Should the problem re-occur....I may have to do some more research. :ph34r:

Thanks a bunch for your help

Chrissy B)