Add Checkbox to Allow CCleaner to Run at Shutdown

daocampo

I would like to suggest that you add another feature to allow the user to check a box to command CCleaner to run at shutdown. I find that my system running in Vista loads the desktop much faster if I run CCleaner before shutdown during my prior session. The current version of CCleaner only allows the user to run CCleaner at startup. Thanks for considering my suggestion.

Was gonna request this, but will look into the parameter thing. Thanks.

My reason is that I do boot-time defragmentation and if I can clean out temporary files on shutdown I can let the boot-time defragmenter work on all files.

EDIT: Hmm... it seems that it can shutdown after cleaning, but what is meant here is, that it runs before shutting down. In other words, if I go to the start menu, click turn off computer and then shutdown, then it runs before shutting down.

• Moderators
EDIT: Hmm... it seems that it can shutdown after cleaning, but what is meant here is, that it runs before shutting down. In other words, if I go to the start menu, click turn off computer and then shutdown, then it runs before shutting down.

Hi Jones, and welcome to the forum.

Yours is the second post I've answered recently raising the same issue.

The object is to run CCleaner and then have the PC shut down automatically afterwards with no further input from the user, which is what happens when you set up the "Auto Shutdown" from Andavari's link.

The running of CCleaner is the first stage, and upon completion CCleaner shutting down the PC automatically afterwards is the second. Why on earth would you want to initiate the second process first, and somehow have to configure it not to shut down, but to run CCleaner, and then shutdown.

Think about it. :rolleyes:

:)

The idea would just be for the computer to be clean of any temporary files on boot and thereby let the defragmentation tool do its magic on the rest of the files.

But anyway, I can add folders with temporary files to an exclude list and then it'll be alright :)

• Moderators
The idea would just be for the computer to be clean of any temporary files on boot and thereby let the defragmentation tool do its magic on the rest of the files.

But anyway, I can add folders with temporary files to an exclude list and then it'll be alright :)

To do that you can instead use a batch file.

If you're using WinXP it would simply be this for the batch file (don't know if WinVista is the same though for the restart command):

"C:\Program Files\CCleaner\CCleaner.exe" /AUTOshutdown.exe -r -t 15 -c "System Restart after CCleaner to Defrag"

Ahh... so you mean I just run that batch file whenever I want to restart with a clean machine...

Thanks - will try it out and see if it's worth the extra clickin' ;)

EDIT: Alright, decided to clean up once a week instead and also do defragmentation then. Doing it everyday might be overkill anyway. Thanks though, for the support. Take care.

It's already a feature via a parameter! ;) See the CCleaner Beginners Guide. Also see this thread.

Although I understand a checkbox may be useful too.

:rolleyes: Yes, I read your thread and see that I can create a CCleaner shutdown icon:

Create a new shortcut with this in it:

CODE

"C:\Program Files\CCleaner\CCleaner.exe" /AUTO /SHUTDOWN

Then I can replace the CCleaner default icon with a special shutdown icon to avoid error clicking on the wrong icon as this command with automatically shutdown the system upon selecting it.

I like this option but why can't CCleaner be integrated into Windows system shutdown, rather than having to create a separate command parameter in a desktop icon. I think a checkbox in the program to "run CCleaner before system shutdown" would be a nice feature to add.

Thanks,

David

A desk top short cut leaves me in control - I like it.

I would NEVER use anything to interfere with a direct control of shut down - nor should you !!!

If Windows goes bad you might want to shut down and reboot.

If 99% of the CPU is tied up doing something, the last thing you need is to have CCleaner intercepting the shut down.

If you ever install software, it is possible it requires a reboot before completion - it might even invoke a shut down for you.

Can you be sure that no installer will ever leave a vital file in a TEMP folder, expecting to use it after reboot ?

If the boot up sequence is re-directed to this vital (and missing) file, would you then get a normal start-up sequence and a failed application installation - or would this give you experience of the Recovery Console ?

I do not know - and I would rather not find out the hard way !!!

Regards

Alan

• 1 month later...

How about this quick fix???

(Appears in the Right-Click Menu for the Recycle Bin if you've chosen to add it)

Add this in the registry (not sure if the signature changes for each install though - someone needs to confirm)

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{645FF040-5081-101B-9F08-00AA002F954E}\Shell\Run CCleaner and Shutdown][HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{645FF040-5081-101B-9F08-00AA002F954E}\Shell\Run CCleaner and Shutdown\command]@="C:\\Program Files\\CCleaner\\ccleaner.exe /AUTO /SHUTDOWN"

Search for ccleaner.exe /AUTO in the registry.

(I'm NOT responsible for you effing up your PC if you go fiddling in the registry and don't know what you're doing!)

How about this quick fix???

(Appears in the Right-Click Menu for the Recycle Bin if you've chosen to add it)

Add this in the registry (not sure if the signature changes for each install though - someone needs to confirm)

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{645FF040-5081-101B-9F08-00AA002F954E}\Shell\Run CCleaner and Shutdown][HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{645FF040-5081-101B-9F08-00AA002F954E}\Shell\Run CCleaner and Shutdown\command]@="C:\\Program Files\\CCleaner\\ccleaner.exe /AUTO /SHUTDOWN"

Search for ccleaner.exe /AUTO in the registry.

(I'm NOT responsible for you effing up your PC if you go fiddling in the registry and don't know what you're doing!)

Could you give me a similar Registry entry for running CCleaner after each use of IE shuts down?

Thanks,

Bob frost.