Norton 360 Help Registry CCleaner Scan Problem

budgie

I have recently installed Norton 360. When CCleaner does a registry scan the following problem is identified:

Data C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\NHelp\\NRTHelp.chm

Registry Key HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\HTML Help

The register key value is:

C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\NHelp\

When CCleaner fixes the registry problem by deleting the registry key, Norton 360 "Help" does not work. When I restored the registry key, Norton 360 "Help" does work.

CCleaner should not identify this as a problem.

• Moderators
CCleaner should not identify this as a problem.

it doesn't, CCleaner Identifies reg entries it cannot identify the program for. You need to decide whether the reg entry ought to be deleted.

Most Antivirus/Antimalware/Security programs will have MULTIPLE entries listed in CCleaner's Reg scan. This is because the makers of the Security product don't have their programs identified in their reg entries to make it harder for them to be disabled by malware.

I hope you were wise and made a backup of the reg entries before you removed them. else you WILL have to re install Norton.

The Best practice for reg entries is laid out clearly in my signature

Also do it in little chunks (a checkmark at a time, at the very most) so you don't have to put too much crap back into the registry when you merge that backup back to the registry

(I wonder how many times I have typed that r word in this forum LOL )

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

• Moderators

Hi budgie, and welcome to the forum.

To get around that problem, you can exclude a registry item from being cleaned by first copying the key by going to Start/Run enter "regedit" (without the quotes). Navigate to the reg entry in question, right click on the folder in the left pane, and select "copy key name".

Then go to CCleaner/Options/Exclude/Add Registry, and paste the key name into the window. Make sure you select the right "hive" address in the small box, HKLM in this case, and then delete the hive name from the start of the pasted address in the long window, as this is already set in the small one.

If you do this correctly the "OK" box will become active. Hit OK.

Hope that helps.