Firefox Turns Four!

Humpty

Four years ago today, Mozilla announced the release of Firefox 1.0. and delivered a better Web experience to millions of users. Top features included pop-up blocking, fraud protection, integrated search and tabbed browsing. What made you decide to give Firefox a try? And what were your favorite features in Firefox 1.0? 2.0? 3.0?

Happy birthday Firefox! Here?s to many more years of a healthy, open, participatory Web!

Mozilla Blog

never say never, but i dont see myself ever leaving firefox.....just too many things i like about it.

Like 1984 says ;)

I've only been using Firefox for a couple of months now and I luv it :rolleyes:

• Moderators

I've been using firefox for four years? Seems like it hasn't been nearly that long.

I remember absolutely despising FF1 until 1.5, but I still used it because the only real alternative at the time was IE6. Of all the things FF1 introduced tabs changed the way I use the internet. Not sure if thats good or bad because now I'm like a crazy person reading 6 things at once, quickly cycling and reloading them all. :P

Whats even crazier is that in a few months it will be 4 years since some of us joined this forum. Something that I'm sure none of us could have imagined at the time. :P

I'm an IE7 with IE7Pro guy and could never get to love that poor red fox clinging onto the Earth for dear life and I have been around the Earth a few times.

We have been around for a while and CCleaner is one of the most popular downloads still.

"Education is what remains after one has forgotten everything he learned in school." - Albert Einstein

IE7Pro user

Dang it, I missed the party yesterday.

After I got my hands on Firefox 1.5, that's when the love started. I feel something is separated when the fox ain't doin' the internet surfing for me. :)

I've been using firefox for four years? Seems like it hasn't been nearly that long.

I remember absolutely despising FF1 until 1.5, but I still used it because the only real alternative at the time was IE6. Of all the things FF1 introduced tabs changed the way I use the internet. Not sure if thats good or bad because now I'm like a crazy person reading 6 things at once, quickly cycling and reloading them all. :P

Whats even crazier is that in a few months it will be 4 years since some of us joined this forum. Something that I'm sure none of us could have imagined at the time. :P

Opera and some of the IE shells had tabs before FF did.

Opera and some of the IE shells had tabs before FF did.

I just cant get into opera. Tried and go back every once in awhile, but firefox just seems so much more customizable and i like the look and feel much better. I had spent a few years on ie6 and it was ok, but once i went to firefox my surfing got so much more fun.

I do like ie7 with the pro add on, it works pretty good, but still like firefox better. I just keep ie set up for the kids and my wife so they dont muck with my setup. :)

As for opera, it does seem a touch snappier then firefox, but for that millisecond of speed the loss of the functions that I use and like is not worth it.

I just cant get into opera. Tried and go back every once in awhile, but firefox just seems so much more customizable and i like the look and feel much better. I had spent a few years on ie6 and it was ok, but once i went to firefox my surfing got so much more fun.

I do like ie7 with the pro add on, it works pretty good, but still like firefox better. I just keep ie set up for the kids and my wife so they dont muck with my setup. :)

As for opera, it does seem a touch snappier then firefox, but for that millisecond of speed the loss of the functions that I use and like is not worth it.

I use both FF and Opera. They compliment each other well. What one won't do the other can.

Default FF is nothing special at all. It needs it's extensions to be any good. Opera comes with many of the features already built in. It can be customized much more than FF can. Opera has a much bigger learning curve than FF and if you don't take the time to learn it you can't fully appreciate it.

I will be getting a Mac very soon and I will be starting to spend a lot of time on that and Opera and FF both work on Macs so that's going to work out good for me. I have a ton of browsers installed and tried many more but they all fall well short of Opera and FF. I will be removing all of them except for FF, Opera, IE7 with IE Pro, and Maxthon 2 for the sake of simplicity and reducing my work load. Trying to keep current on all my browsers on all my machines gets to be a hassle and will be more so when I get the Mac. Google Chrome is one that has some potential to challenge Opera and FF but not right now. When it gets better support for extensions and further along in development it will be interesting but right now it's not worth the hassle for me.

Yeh thats crazy. I just noticed I joined one day after my birthday too rofl. Wow, tis been so long!! Time really does fly!