do what first?

ralf

Hi ralf,

There are many third-party programs that have been developed to perform "defragmentation". Many also include disk optimization methods and strategies that improve the performance of a PC.

Some products perform better for certain types of users than others. This really depends on how the PC is being used.

Most users don't need much "optimization" as much as they need "defragmentation".

Defraggler's speed in defragmenting files is very desirable for IT professionals and regular users alike.

I consider myself to be an average user and I find that I hardly ever need to do "whole disk" defragmentation anymore.

By using Defraggler to defrag all files prior to running CCleaner, my disk stays in healthy condition and no "optimization" is needed.

I use the following method.

#1. I run Defraggler using the GUI to Analyze first. Then I select the "file list" tab and I check all files for Defragmentation by checking the box next to the "Filename" heading and selecting "Defrag checked". This defragments all the files. Of course it takes the longest time the first time that you use it. From then on it it is very quick, taking only a few minutes at the most if used frequently. This is usually prior to running CCleaner.

#2. Every now and then I select Action in the Defraggler toolbar and select Defrag folder and defragment complete folders.

#3. Rarely but when necessary I select "whole disk" defragmentation but I have not needed this in several months.

After defragmenting, your PC will take a little time for Windows to relearn where files are repositioned but the speed will increase soon.

Some users insist on constant "whole disk" defragmentation and for some this is necessary. For most, it does not give enough return in benefits versus the work necessary to perform the "whole disk" defragmentation. "Whole disk" defragmentation is necessary very infrequently but it does have benefits if it has never been performed.

You may only need to defragment files as I do. I have done much personal testing and I find "whole disk" defragmentation of little benefit to most users.

See these posts for further explanation and more detailed information.

http://forum.piriform.com/index.php?s=&amp...st&p=112671

http://forum.piriform.com/index.php?s=&amp...st&p=118211

http://forum.piriform.com/index.php?s=&amp...st&p=117806

http://forum.piriform.com/index.php?s=&amp...st&p=116118

Good luck,

:) davey

• 2 months later...
By using Defraggler to defrag all files prior to running CCleaner, my disk stays in healthy condition and no "optimization" is needed.

Why prior to CCleaner?

What is the difference with running CCleaner first (= less files to defrag)? :rolleyes:

Pentium4 3,00GHz - 2GB RAM - ATI Radeon X1950 PRO 256MB - 4xHDD = 1,36TB - XP Home SP3

Why prior to CCleaner?

What is the difference with running CCleaner first (= less files to defrag)? :rolleyes:

I leave larger free spaces this way when I do my "CCleaning", instead of releasing more and more smaller free spaces. It also means I can just "check" 1 box(the one at the top of list,next to the Filename column header) and then select "Defrag Checked" or am I just trying to keep it simple. :lol:

Best wishes, :) davey

P.S. Bookmark this site for future use. docs.piriform.com

Use this page for new,easy documentation of "files list". http://docs.piriform.com/defraggler/using-...-folder-or-file

I leave larger free spaces this way when I do my "CCleaning", instead of releasing more and more smaller free spaces. It also means I can just "check" 1 box(the one at the top of list,next to the Filename column header) and then select "Defrag Checked" or am I just trying to keep it simple. :lol:

P.S. Bookmark this site for future use. docs.piriform.com

Use this page for new,easy documentation of "files list". http://docs.piriform.com/defraggler/using-...-folder-or-file

The previous post was not complete??? :blink:

Edit: Oh, suddenly now it is. ??? :lol::lol:

It also means I can just "check" 1 box(the one at the top of list,next to the Filename column header) and then select "Defrag Checked"

But that I can do also when CCleaner was runned first. :unsure:

Edit: Oh, I think you mean you have to do only 1 action (2 clicks) and with CCleaner first it is more. ;)

or am I just trying to keep it simple. :lol:
Edited by NewHaunter
Pentium4 3,00GHz - 2GB RAM - ATI Radeon X1950 PRO 256MB - 4xHDD = 1,36TB - XP Home SP3

The previous post was not complete??? :blink:

Edit: Oh, suddenly now it is. ??? :lol::lol:

But that I can do also when CCleaner was runned first. :unsure:

Yes, of course you can but all the files released by CCleaner were still fragmented when they were released.

By Defraggling first, then larger free spaces become available after running CCleaner.

More larger free spaces available means less chance of creating more and more fragmented files.

Yes, of course you can but all the files released by CCleaner were still fragmented when they were released.

By Defraggling first, then larger free spaces become available after running CCleaner.

More larger free spaces available means less chance of creating more and more fragmented files.

Hi Davey,

Your suggestion about using defraggler prior to CCleaner makes sense to me. The reason I say this because I have always known that defragmenting is good to do before installing large softwares so that things cann run smoother and than it is also a good idea to do it after all instalations. So I usually do defrag only files before CCleaner and after if I have deleted a large amount of data.

I also do a full defragment once in a while or sometimes just defrag free space when I have done alot of deleting and installing.

My only question though is if I defrag all files why would I need to defrag only folders? Isn't files from folders too?

My only question though is if I defrag all files why would I need to defrag only folders? Isn't files from folders too?

Not on this PC, but on others I have found "large" defragmented directories.

Like the users with 10s or 100s of thousands of files in one folder. :o:lol:

I agree with you also as to when to defragment. I am glad that you brought out this fact.

Prior to large installations, it is beneficial to do both "cleaning" and "defragmenting" and possibly some "optimization" to get large infrequently used files out of the way and larger free spaces.

Personally, I have learned to wait awhile after any installations to do any "cleaning" or "defragmenting". I will do it a little later when I am satisfied that everything is settled down. By then WinXP is already doing some "optimization" for me by moving frequently used programs and files closer to the front of the disk.

Of course, there are many users that get along with little or no "defragmenting" at all. Most Vista users don't even have to think about it, since it is automatically done for them once a week(Wednesday 1:00 A.M.).