Some Suggestions for CCleaner

Chai

Hi, I just want to add my 2 cents:

• Add command line option for automating Registry scans (e.g. /AUTOREGSCAN).
  • Add more command line options to fine tune both automated Cleaner and Registry scans.
  • Clean multiple profiles in one scan (e.g. from a single account).

Thank you for a great free product!

• Moderators

Hi Chai, and welcome to the forum.

Thanks for your suggestions, but if I were you I wouldn't be going down the road of Automated Registry Scans. I mention that in case you ever have that option in an alternative program.

You really need to watch and check a registry scan before you kill anything.

Your other suggestion of cleaning multiple profiles sounds good in practice, but all users on a PC don't always have the same interests, and therefore most probably would have log-on/registration/settings details saved from the sites they frequent, which either you, or other users don't.

My daughter would be real p****d if I cleaned her account, believe me.

We still appreciate your suggestions Chai, but just from experience we can see the problems they might generate.

Hi Chai, and welcome to the forum.

Thanks. :)

Thanks for your suggestions, but if I were you I wouldn't be going down the road of Automated Registry Scans. I mention that in case you ever have that option in an alternative program.

You really need to watch and check a registry scan before you kill anything.

I understand your concern. So long as a backup is made, I personally feel safe. I usually don't have any problems and am willing to take the risk. I'm an experienced technician, so I know how to go into Safe Mode or even use utilities like BartPE or Reatogo on the rare occasion something gets screwed up. And so long as automated registry scans remain separate from cleanup scans, it would be a purely optional feature.

Your other suggestion of cleaning multiple profiles sounds good in practice, but all users on a PC don't always have the same interests, and therefore most probably would have log-on/registration/settings details saved from the sites they frequent, which either you, or other users don't.

My daughter would be real p****d if I cleaned her account, believe me.

I understand your concern here as well. However, so long as it's kept an optional feature (e.g. a check box that says "Clean all users?", or even better, a separate check box for each user), I don't see a problem since it would make life easier if multiple users want automated cleanup.

We still appreciate your suggestions Chai, but just from experience we can see the problems they might generate.

I think that so long as these features are kept optional, CCleaner would remain customizable for each user's needs.

• Moderators

Hi Chai, it's an interesting debate, and for someone like yourself these features would obviously pose no problems whatsoever, but I don't think that may be the case in a lot of households.

That being said, the developers read all these posts, and your opinions and suggestions will most certainly be noted.

Thanks for your detailed reply.

:)

• 4 weeks later...

First, Great product!

I agree with Chai on the command line options. This would be very useful for network use, where administrators dictate the policy, not users. While registry cleaning would not be recommended for regular scheduled use on a network, deletion of unneeded files would be.

Thanks

• Moderators

Chai, I too am a "highly skilled tech person" but I have to agree with dennis on two points 1) most users of CCleaner are not HSTP and 2) even someone such as us has Multiple Reg entries which shouldn't be cleaned and therefore before even running an autoclean would have to enter many exclude keys into the exclude (especially in the file extention section) and it would make it harder for portable users such as myself to go into a "strange" computer and run an auto. On top of that there's my signature.

First, Great product!

This would be very useful for network use, where administrators dictate the policy, not users. While registry cleaning would not be recommended for regular scheduled use on a network, deletion of unneeded files would be.

Thanks

Dave Green, Check this out

http://forum.piriform.com/index.php?showtopic=14936

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

• 1 year later...

Ok, thank you for confirm my suspicions.

As Piriform will ignore popular claim for this feature for ADVANCED users, is time to find an alternative software like j16 that fit my needs.

Good bye Piriform! Thanks for years of great satisfaction with software created.

ps: I will keep my eyes on Piriform products all time, if one day users suggestions impassion developers enough...

• Moderators

/me rolls eyes at the sillyness of the above statement. . .

sorry but what?

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

• 2 weeks later...

I agree with Dennis on the Auto registry cleaning. I use the Registry clean option all the time as well as the one with Ace Utilities. I have yet to experience any minor issues let alone major but why take the risk.

As far as the cleaning of all users profile, perhaps just the internet cache and Temporary folder but all users should be cleaned even if not by default.