Bits from Bill

YoKenny

Today's a Good Day to Update

If you?re a regular BitsFromBill.com reader you know how I feel about the concept of auto updating software. I hate autoupdate programs from Apple, Google and Adobe.

* Detect Changes to Windows Automatic Updates (10/07)

* Not All Computers are Updated Equal (04/07)

* More AutoUpdate Problems (04/06)

* Microsoft Security Update Problems (04/06)

* AutoUpdates Are Evil (03/06)

* Windows Blackout caused by AutoUpdates (01/06)

Occasionally, the bad guys learn about a vulnerability and are quick to deploy dangerous attacks designed to take advantage newly discovered security holes. When this happens installing an update to protect yourself is worth any risk of updated code.

Today is one of those days. Yesterday Microsoft released security bulletin MS08?067 Vulernability in Server Service Could Allow Remove Code Execution. You might be thinking, ?But I have a laptop, not a server?. Well, technically you do have a server and even your laptop is exposed if you?re connected to the internet.

So far the reported attacks seem to be targeted but it won?t be long before internet bots are scanning all IP address for this vulnerability. Microsoft has been a little vague only giving specific details to security providers. This attack can bypass firewalls and users don?t have to visit any webpages to become infected. I?ve read enough to suggest this security patch is a special exception.

So, I don?t know if this update could cause problems but I?ve updated my machines and I recommend you do the same.

http://update.microsoft.com/windowsupdate/v6/default.aspx

http://billpstudios.blogspot.com/2008/10/t...-to-update.html

"Education is what remains after one has forgotten everything he learned in school." - Albert Einstein

IE7Pro user