Microsoft Plans a Stripped-Down Windows 7

davey

Microsoft knows that they can't screw up. I'm hoping for some major improvements. However, I'm sitting here with Ultimate 32 bit on a Lenovo laptop with nary a major complaint. :D

Oooo, 8.10 Ubuntu. Linux could take over, but won't. Not for a few years at the earliest.

AJ

Microsoft Plans a Stripped-Down Windows 7

http://www.pcworld.com/article/152657/micr..._windows_7.html

Vista on a diet ?

:) davey

Looks like you have disabled PMs davey so I'll post my PM response here

Edited by moderator

Please do not use a public forum as a place for your pm responses YoKenny.

It is considered bad mannered to post information from private pm's from someone without their permission.

"Education is what remains after one has forgotten everything he learned in school." - Albert Einstein

IE7Pro user

I like the automotive anology developed in this thread: http://forum.piriform.com/index.php?showtopic=18599

:P

The car manufacturers (and herein unnamed OS publishers??) work off the notion that adding trinkets and glitz will sell cars (and OSs?). In the past that seems to have worked.

Well, at some point superflous trinkets become a liability.

For example, the electronic systems in many modern cars. They warn you if a taillight is going out. They warn you if a door is open (apparently many people cannot tell). Your window rolls down automatically, so you don't have to hold the down button, thus saving a lot of energy.

On the mechanical end, there are cables, wires, or levers to open the hood, trunk, hatchback, etc. There are little pockets stuck all over the cabin, into which children can put half an ice cream cone. There are abundant cup holders.

All this stuff breaks down after a while. If you keep a car or an OS as long as I do, it breaks down repeatedly.

For my money, give me hand cranked windows, simple wiring, and a stable OS.

Lets all start by reinstalling the last stable version of Windows (there must be one)....of getting a MAC. B)

The CCleaner SLIM version is always released a bit after any new version; when it is it will be HERE :-)

Pssssst: ... It isn't really a cloud. Its a bunch of big, giant servers.

• Moderators

They want a stripped version so they can put it on netbooks. That market is becoming huge and vista simply wont run on those machines. If they are truly ending xp then they have to have something to put on those machines, or linux truly will make its way into the average home.

They want a stripped version so they can put it on netbooks. That market is becoming huge and vista simply wont run on those machines. If they are truly ending xp then they have to have something to put on those machines, or linux truly will make its way into the average home.

They should just keep XP than. They won't do that though because they will be admitting Vista is crap. Stupid pride on Microsoft's part. Doesn't change the reality though.

• Moderators

They wont keep xp because of money. I imagine its expensive to keep having to back port security fixes, ect for xp and vista. So if they can get everyone on vista then they dont have to do as much work. Most of the stuff I've read on windows 7 is that it will basically be vista a la carte. People will have more control over what they can install/uninstall.

I think MS will always have the number 1 os but they are starting to acknowledge that OSes may be on the down side as a whole withing the next 10-15 years.(thats what google is pushing for anyway) thats why they are doing stuff like live mesh and the online version of office that they just announced.

Here I am reading this exciting news with my friend's 133MHZ TURBO CPU 32MB RAM system with Win98SE sitting on my living room table desperately in need of a dust bunny exorcism to see if I can give it a few more months of life.

All she wants to do is read her Hotmail to respond to her Grandchildren and being of limited income a better system is out of the question.

"Education is what remains after one has forgotten everything he learned in school." - Albert Einstein

IE7Pro user

They wont keep xp because of money. . . .

Not sure, but I bet they would keep xp if it was obvious to the financial analysts that it would pay to do so. Whaddaya think?

The CCleaner SLIM version is always released a bit after any new version; when it is it will be HERE :-)

Pssssst: ... It isn't really a cloud. Its a bunch of big, giant servers.

Not sure, but I bet they would keep xp if it was obvious to the financial analysts that it would pay to do so. Whaddaya think?

It's a pride thing. If it was a money thing they would keep XP around because there a millions of people putting off buying new machines because they can't get one without the Vista infection on it. I am one. There are many nice deals on Windows machines and I would have jumped on one except they all have Vista. So my next purchase is a Mac. You lose Microcrap.

I will never buy a machine with Vista on it. I set the GF's machine up with Vista and I hate it. It's not because I am resistant to change because I'm not. if I was I wouldn't even be considering a Mac which will be huge change.

What are the specs of her machine? I run Vista Ultimate 32 bit with nary a problem on my laptop.

AJ

15 inch HP laptop with 3 gig of RAM, 250 GB HD and AMD processor the exact spec I'm not sure off hand but it's a decent one.

It idles at over half a gig. It's not as snappy as my machines not even close but I probably could tweak it if I spend some time on it. There are like 60+ processes running and I'm sure I could cut that at least in half. My XP machines have 18-20 processes running on start up.

I don't like Vista for many reasons. They made a lot of pointless changes to the UI that seem to me made simply for the sake of changing not for any functional reason. It's bloated and slow and I don't like it's look.

I think the reason it gets such bad reviews is because it took 7 years to release this thing and it's not an improvement. With some tweaking and good hardware you might get equal performance to XP but thats unacceptable for supposed upgrade. I just feel like it's a money grab. New OS that needs a new system to run and no real benefits over XP so why bother? I can't think of one reason I would want Vista instead of XP but there are many reasons to choose XP over Vista. Even the people that don't mind Vista don't say Wow what a big improvement. People either hate it or say it's not bad.

MS screwed the pooch on this one and should just suck it up. Keep XP available and do the next OS right. If MS has peaked and can't really improve on XP than too bad for them. Releasing an OS that really isn't an improvement just to force a new product cycle annoys me.

I think the whole concept of making Windows more integrated with online activity killed it. Widgets and trinkets and Air and Clouds and Silver(fish)light, Messenger, Live, Orifice.

Bloat. Like a dead body that's been in the ocean for months. That's what I think of the whole concept.

I would love to get a barebones operating system created that had nothing added to it. Then i could just add some core products like microsoft office, winrar, vlc player, etc that i need for opening and viewing files, and use that computer for all my surfing needs.

Usually they come with so much additional software, programs, bells and whistles that i rarely if ever use that it takes a long time to customize everything the way i like them.

I would love to get a barebones operating system created that had nothing added to it. Then i could just add some core products like microsoft office, winrar, vlc player, etc that i need for opening and viewing files, and use that computer for all my surfing needs.

Usually they come with so much additional software, programs, bells and whistles that i rarely if ever use that it takes a long time to customize everything the way i like them.

Keep this in your wallet:

http://www.pcdecrapifier.com

What's in your wallet?

Capital None!

IE7Pro user

Another annoying thing is you don't get the install disks any more. You are expected to make a recovery disk and use that. If you were given the disks than you could just start fresh with a clean install but no you get a system loaded with junk and than you make a recovery disk of that image so you are always stuck with a totally bloated crap Microcarp system. I guess you could go ut and buy a copy of Vista separately and put in on the machine but that is BS since you paid for it already when you bought the machine.

I was in the Future Shop today looking at net books. Many came with XP because there is no way Vista will run well on them. I couldn't help but notice while I was in there the young kids high school age and younger all playing with the Macs and just ignoring Windows. Did my heart good to see the nails firmly driven into Microsoft's coffin. If Apple ever drops the prices to the same as a Windows machine it's all over and quickly for Windows.

• Moderators
Another annoying thing is you don't get the install disks any more. You are expected to make a recovery disk and use that. If you were given the disks than you could just start fresh with a clean install but no you get a system loaded with junk and than you make a recovery disk of that image so you are always stuck with a totally bloated crap Microcarp system. I guess you could go ut and buy a copy of Vista separately and put in on the machine but that is BS since you paid for it already when you bought the machine.

That is the pc manufacturer not MS. I know dell will give you a windows cd for like 10 bucks if you click that option when you buy a pc from them.

I was in the Future Shop today looking at net books. Many came with XP because there is no way Vista will run well on them. I couldn't help but notice while I was in there the young kids high school age and younger all playing with the Macs and just ignoring Windows. Did my heart good to see the nails firmly driven into Microsoft's coffin. If Apple ever drops the prices to the same as a Windows machine it's all over and quickly for Windows.

The grass is always greener on the other side. I know lots of people who have problems with the newest version of OSX. Its not as stable as people seem to think. (its a myth that it never crashes, same with linux) Macs are cool from a design stand point but they have some very bad disadvantages.

1. Closed hardware, your stuck with what apple gives you.

2. price- they cost sometimes as much as $1000 more for the same specs.

3. No games if thats your thing.

4. Not supported by many hardware accessories like mp3 players. Fine if you want to be all apple all the time, I guess.

I took a class where I was forced to use a mac, I quickly found that it wasn't for me.

What I like, from the previes I've seen, is that finally, somebody out there gets that some of us want 'Windows Explorer' permanently anchored on the Start Menu, instead of having to relocated it ourselves!!

Windows 7 - Office 2010 - Internet Explorer 9

All better than the versions preceding them :D

What I like, from the previes I've seen, is that finally, somebody out there gets that some of us want 'Windows Explorer' permanently anchored on the Start Menu, instead of having to relocated it ourselves!!
Windows key ( just right of the left Ctrl key ) + E works well for me.

IE7Pro user