Administrator rights needed

loginsrl

I've a PC with MS Windows XP SP3 italian installed.

I've installed Defraggler on a PC logged as administrator. After I've logged with a User level right and I found the following problems:

1. Program does not appear in installed programs in Start menu;

2. If I run the exe, I cannot analyze the drives because I got the following error:

"Processing aborted due to: Accesso negato."

(I'm working with Italian version of XP; the error message in english is "Access Denied")

It seems that I need administrator rights for running defraggler ...

Is it real?

If yes, Is there a way for running it anyway (with scheduling for example) without administrator present inserting his password?

Bye and thanks.

I've a PC with MS Windows XP SP3 italian installed.

I've installed Defraggler on a PC logged as administrator. After I've logged with a User level right and I found the following problems:

1. Program does not appear in installed programs in Start menu;

2. If I run the exe, I cannot analyze the drives because I got the following error:

"Processing aborted due to: Accesso negato."

(I'm working with Italian version of XP; the error message in english is "Access Denied")

It seems that I need administrator rights for running defraggler ...

Is it real?

If yes, Is there a way for running it anyway (with scheduling for example) without administrator present inserting his password?

Bye and thanks.

Yes, you do need admin rights.

If every user on the computer would defrag all the time the system would end up crashing

because defragging and using the OS is a bad combination.

I suggest to move on to linux ^^

That's what I did when Windows started to annoy me too much.

But yes you can schedule the scans. I'm now on my linux (like most of my time) so I can't check the path to scheduling but

in English it was propably Options -> Schedule

or

Properties -> schedule

and in Italian (a quess) I think it is:

Opzioni -> Orario

or

Sostanza -> Orario

:lol:

Linux Ubuntu Intrepid Ibex

I hate Windows.

Listing here what there is bad in it would take the whole space.

Current OS: Linux Ubuntu Intrepid Ibex (8.10) i686

and

Windows Vista/Longhorn (6001.18063.080425-1930) i586

"Open source is the only right way to do software" -Linus Torvalds

Yes, you do need admin rights.

If every user on the computer would defrag all the time the system would end up crashing

because defragging and using the OS is a bad combination.

I suggest to move on to linux ^^

That's what I did when Windows started to annoy me too much.

But yes you can schedule the scans. I'm now on my linux (like most of my time) so I can't check the path to scheduling but

in English it was propably Options -> Schedule

or

Properties -> schedule

and in Italian (a quess) I think it is:

Opzioni -> Orario

or

Sostanza -> Orario

:lol:

Linux Ubuntu Intrepid Ibex

Thanks very much for Your reply LUII, but:

1. I cannot use Linux; I'm in a working environment where many programs I need to use are only for MS Windows, so ...

2. Admin rights: the PC is used by a girl at the office, so I don't give her admin rights in order to avoid unwanted installations

3. Defrag + using = problem: I know it, but I will schedule defragging only once a week or a month, during lunch hour, so when the PC is not used ...

So finally the questions remains: I need to execute Defraggler with user rights in MS Windows XP SP3 in unattended mode (with scheduling);

Is it possible or not?

Thanks in advance to everybody.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Moderators
2. Admin rights: the PC is used by a girl at the office, so I don't give her admin rights in order to avoid unwanted installations

Which is also why you shouldn't let her run Defraggler/any defrag utility

Since this is a XP machine enable <RUNAS> and run Defraggler as a administrator. You can even keep Defraggler off the computer completely and use the portable version on a memory card, or iPod, or Smartphone.

If it were Vista and UAC is enabled you could be the most powerful user on the computer and it still will require that you run Defraggler or winDefrag as Admin.

The Defraggler shell or the Schedule Defraggler option Mentioned above will run it as an admin in the background (Vista may still need a UAC prompt I'm not sure I don't schedule Defraggler)

:P .seirtsiger tuoba gniklat ton nehw recin m'I !!!!aH

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

Which is also why you shouldn't let her run Defraggler/any defrag utility

Since this is a XP machine enable <RUNAS> and run Defraggler as a administrator. You can even keep Defraggler off the computer completely and use the portable version on a memory card, or iPod, or Smartphone.

If it were Vista and UAC is enabled you could be the most powerful user on the computer and it still will require that you run Defraggler or winDefrag as Admin.

The Defraggler shell or the Schedule Defraggler option Mentioned above will run it as an admin in the background (Vista may still need a UAC prompt I'm not sure I don't schedule Defraggler)

:P .seirtsiger tuoba gniklat ton nehw recin m'I !!!!aH

Thanks for Your reply,

Ok, You are right on everything, but If I want to run defraggler in unattended mode with a scheduling when girl is out of office for lunch once a week (for example)? With RUNAS solution is all ok, but I or an admin must be in office, go to the PC and manually run the program.

Bye

Thanks for Your reply,

Ok, You are right on everything, but If I want to run defraggler in unattended mode with a scheduling when girl is out of office for lunch once a week (for example)? With RUNAS solution is all ok, but I or an admin must be in office, go to the PC and manually run the program.

Bye

You can use RunAs at the command line, if you type RunAs.exe at the command line you should get all of the parameters for the executable. This site also details the parameters and gives some examples.

http://www.computerhope.com/runas.htm

This will require you to enter the username and PASSWORD of the administrator - please note I do not know of a way for you to have a user run an application as an administrator without supplying the credentials for an administrator.

You can use RunAs at the command line, if you type RunAs.exe at the command line you should get all of the parameters for the executable. This site also details the parameters and gives some examples.

http://www.computerhope.com/runas.htm

This will require you to enter the username and PASSWORD of the administrator - please note I do not know of a way for you to have a user run an application as an administrator without supplying the credentials for an administrator.

Thanks for the info, but the problem is the same you noticed: admin password becomes visible, and, for security purporses I don't want this.

Any other suggestion?

For Piriform techs/develeopers: is there any reason for this admin rights block? If not, can You change this item in next Deflagger version?

Bye and thanks to everybody.