Programs Have Changed to READ ONLY

writeaway

Using FileSnoop this a.m. I found I could only view files with it. The search icons were grayed out. Next, I noticed that the list of files it was showing had several in red. One of them was FileSnoop itself. In case you are not familiar with the application, it lists files with Read Only attributes in red text. Alarmed, I checked out the list only to discover several more folders are now Read Only AND a couple (only found a few so far) programs. The scariest part is the folders that are now Read Only are: Downloads, EruntRegistryBackups, FileMap-by-BB(notifies me when something has changed on the system), Maps (a file storing maps), MSOCashe, MyIcons, MyPimFiles, MyPrograms, MyWeb pages, Program Files, and my favorite, WINDOWS. Others are system files, IO.SYS, MSDOS.SYS, NTDETECT.COM, ntldr. In Documents and Settings: All Users and Owner.

Ini files and configurations have changed. The Topics folder for one of my PIMs was changed to Read Only. I opened the application all right but the files did not show up like they usually do. When I tried to open one, I found the Open Dialog box had reverted to My Documents - which is NOT where I store the files. I was able to return the default folder to where it belonged and then open a file and edit it.

All the folder settings in Windows Explorer have reverted back to being sorted by Date Modified (@!?*). That happens every once in a while and at the same time all my folder views/sizes revert back to whatever it is that Windows prefers. I don't know why. I am unable to change the file attributes. The Folders Options applet does not allow me to make any changes - hasn't for over a year now. Again, I don't know why.

I think this all happened this morning because I can see that the .ini file for FileSnoop shows it was modified this a.m. but I haven't been looking at file attributes for a while.

Nothing shows up on scans of the system (AVG Anti-Virus, AVG Anti-Spyware, SUPERAntiSpyware).

Any ideas?

• Moderators

It sounds like something that could be caused by Malware. If you're not 100% certain, you could post a log in the Spyware Hell section after first going here:

http://forum.piriform.com/index.php?showtopic=17457

Or, if that Snoop thing has screwed up the Permissions on your PC, maybe give Dial-A-Fix a run. The first thing it does is scan for Restrictive Policies, and in the "Tools" section there's a "Repair Permissions" feature.

Could be worth a try.

Dial-A-Fix: