Symantec Beats The Competition

Humpty

With a mind-blowing detection rate, almost 10 times higher than the nearest competitor, Symantec has beaten eleven other Internet Security Suites by offering a superior detection rate of exploits.

Congratulations, Symantec!

Secunia has tested the ability of twelve different Internet Security Suites to find out what level of protection they offer against 300 exploits targeting vulnerabilities in various high-end, high-profile programs.

So, does this mean that Symantec customers can feel safe surfing the Internet?

By no means!

Even the "high" score from Symantec was disappointing. Symantec detected a mere 64 out of 300 exploits, or less than one-fourth, leaving 236 exploits undetected!

Secunia Article

"Education is what remains after one has forgotten everything he learned in school." - Albert Einstein

IE7Pro user

No AV used here in quite a while, much preferring my sandbox/virtual/images setups.

I do work on a few of other people's pc's and usually install Avast Home realtime along with MBAM and SAS as on demand.

Last week worked a machine where they still had 11 months left of Norton's Internet Security which had been disabled by a rouge AV.

MBAM cleaned up the rogue which allowed Norton's to work ok again.

They wanted to keep Nortons so I just said fine. <_<

They wanted to keep Nortons so I just said fine. <_<

95% of the people I know use Norton/Mcafee and IE7. When you ask them why they say because they are the best. I ask them why they think that and they say because thats what comes on all the computers so they must be the best :lol: Their parents should have let them play in the traffic when they were kids :P

Their parents should have let them play in the traffic when they were kids
They probably did and learned how to dodge the cars and how to "Play Safe"

"Education is what remains after one has forgotten everything he learned in school." - Albert Einstein

IE7Pro user

• Moderators

From Kens first link above:

Avast not being encumbered by pointless firewalls, actually being able to remove viruses (yes, I've actually seen Norton just say that a virus was found, and didn't offer any options, and didn't even say "can't delete".)

Been there, done that, and I should have told them what to do with the tee shirt.

Norton was pre-installed on my PC. I'm now a long time user of Avast, and it's never had to remove a virus.