CCleaner did not show this -- can I delete it?

Normandie

Hey folks,

Have another question. I ran CCleaner & I love it, but under "Issues", it did not show the following entry & I wonder if it is safe to go into the registry & delete it.

I installed "xnview" then decided I did not want it, so uninstalled it and I have found the entries below in the registry:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\XnView.bmp]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\XnView.bmp\shell]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\XnView.bmp\shell\open]

There is one for "wmf", "jpg" etc., none of the keys have a value.

I was wondering if it is safe to delete these directly from REGEDIT? I know that they are not hurting anything, but if they serve nothing I would like to delete them.

Thanks in advance for your advice,

Normandie

Those left overs XnView entries should be perfectly safe to remove. After you remove them run the Issues scanner in CCleaner again.

Andavari,

Thanks, I deleted the entries and the computer seems to still be running :lol: I even restarted it to see if there would be problems and so far none :D

I reran CCleaner afterwards and in issues nothing was found so I guess all is good. I just wanted to get rid of more junk in the registry if it does not serve anything.

Again thanks & have a dood day,

Normandie

Much as I love CCleaner, it doesn't have (or claim to have) a very powerful registry cleaner.

It is a very safe registry cleaner, which you can run routinely without qualms.

If I've been uninstalling programs, though, I run another registry cleaner (EasyCleaner) after CCleaner.

I think between the two they're doing a pretty thorough job.

• Moderators
If I've been uninstalling programs, though, I run another registry cleaner (EasyCleaner) after CCleaner.

I think between the two they're doing a pretty thorough job.

Even if a registry cleaner is very power it can still miss many things, hence the reason multiple registry cleaners have to be used.

Even if a registry cleaner is very power it can still miss many things, hence the reason multiple registry cleaners have to be used.

Very true. I have also done some registry cleaning with HDCleaner, it finds a lot more.

But it only gives you a list of possibly invalid entries, you have to figure out which ones are safe to remove.

I had a lot of garbage produced by an attempt to recover files from a borked copy of WinXP, that other cleaners didn't find, and I was able to remove over a hundred entries.

But there were over a hundred more I don't want to touch, because I don't know enough about them. That list isn't growing, though, regular cleaning with CCleaner and EasyCleaner takes care of the new stuff.

Well, all of this became unimportant for the moment, Monday I installed an update for WordPerfect Office 12 & it scambled my HD. Could not startup in safe mode, could not start up with "last good configuration", tried it all, then just gave up and formatted the little devil :o and reinstalled everything from clean, so now it is clean and the 3rd program I installed after Windows XP, the firewall, SP2 update, Virus program and then CCleaner so hopefully the registry is pretty clean now and I will try to keep it that way.

Thanks for all your help & advice,

Normandie