Microsoft Security Bulletin Advance Notification for October 2008

YoKenny

Microsoft Security Bulletin Advance Notification for October 2008

Published: October 9, 2008

Microsoft Security Bulletin Advance Notification issued: October 9, 2008

Microsoft Security Bulletins to be issued: October 14, 2008

This is an advance notification of security bulletins that Microsoft is intending to release on October 14, 2008.

This bulletin advance notification will be replaced with the October bulletin summary on October 14, 2008. For more information about the bulletin advance notification service, see Microsoft Security Bulletin Advance Notification.

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/...n/ms08-oct.mspx

Critical (4)

Important (6)

Moderate (1)

"Education is what remains after one has forgotten everything he learned in school." - Albert Einstein

IE7Pro user

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/...n/ms08-oct.mspx

Critical (4)

Important (6)

Moderate (1)

Hi Kenny B)

If "Windows Automatic Updates" is on will these... shouldn't these "updates" when they become available, just download & install?... with maybe a prompt to restart Windows?

Hi Kenny B)

If "Windows Automatic Updates" is on will these... shouldn't these "updates" when they become available, just download & install?... with maybe a prompt to restart Windows?

Auto-Updates are bloody annoying, IMHO, so I do it straight manual. :) It's nice to know about these kind of things.

Thanks, Kenny :)

Fantasy is the celebration of what we no longer are: individuals certain of our meaningfulness in a meaningful world. The wish-fulfillment that distinguishes fantasy from other genres is not to be the all-conquering hero, but to live in a meaningful world. The fact that such worlds are enchanted worlds, worlds steeped in magic, simply demonstrates the severity of our contemporary crisis.
Scott R. Bakker, Why Fantasy and Why Now?

RPG Codex - Putting the 'Role' back in RPG.

The Age of Decadence - A game everyone should look forward to.

Hi Kenny B)

They will become available automatically and probably require a reboot.

Some people like to be in total control of everything waiting for a disaster to happen then blame Microsoft for poor software and some people like to be made aware that Updates are available and can choose to have the Updates applied automatically or just notified that they have been downloaded and ready for installation.

That's why you have choices.

"Education is what remains after one has forgotten everything he learned in school." - Albert Einstein

IE7Pro user

They will become available automatically and probably require a reboot.

Some people like to be in total control of everything waiting for a disaster to happen then blame Microsoft for poor software and some people like to be made aware that Updates are available and can choose to have the Updates applied automatically or just notified that they have been downloaded and ready for installation.

That's why you have choices.

I can't help but love you. :)

This is why I have my laptop, my main source of computing these days, running Linux. (alternating between Ubuntu, Arch Linux, and Debian.).

Fantasy is the celebration of what we no longer are: individuals certain of our meaningfulness in a meaningful world. The wish-fulfillment that distinguishes fantasy from other genres is not to be the all-conquering hero, but to live in a meaningful world. The fact that such worlds are enchanted worlds, worlds steeped in magic, simply demonstrates the severity of our contemporary crisis.

• Moderators

You need to be careful running ubuntu(or any other linux) on a laptop. It causes a lot of stress on the hard drive.(has a lot of different factors and is hard to explain) but basically look here:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=805570

Basically the power management settings in ubuntu could make your hard drive die way quicker than it should.

That was one of the many reasons I gave up on linux.

I'm actually going to give this a thorough reading, as my Dell is already in risk zone because of some construction malfunction (bought it second-hand for really cheap, I couldn't help myself).

It overheats, it slows, it stalls at 70 Celcius. I pretty much have an hour on Linux before I have to shut down, whereas I have the fans going near all the time on XP and it runs at about 35-50 Celcius. :(

I don't think I could ever give up on Linux. It needs work, as it always has, but, with enough support, and determination, I'm sure it'll be well-suited on laptops eventually.

• Moderators

I gave up linux long before I saw that. The fact that it kills HDs was just the nail in the coffin.

All of my computers already have windows so switching meant that I went from an OS that was stable and had all the software I needed to one that wasn't and had the same software. The only non free software I use is MS office and before I had that I used openoffice so I'm fine with it too. But why use an unstable system for no reason?

I really had a lot of issues with ubuntu in particular because their updates would cause all kinds of issues. Gnome was a nuisance too with things not loading/panels crashing. It just wasn't worth the hassle.

I tried Ubuntu on my old 500MHZ PIII with 512MB RAM and RAGE 128 PRO video adapter that I found in my apartment's recycle area but I could not get it to load on its 80GB hard drive from the CD and I posted about it earlier.

It had Win98SE on it.

It had a second 40GB as D: that I removed and now use in an external USB case as a backup drive with Karen's Backup.

I took it to my local PC shop to get XP Home installed but it was not available so I had XP Pro installed and it runs IE8 beta2 fine and I was able to install a driver for its SoundBlaster card.

Now it runs Avira anti virus, the usual HOSTS files, MBAM, Windows Defender and WinPatrol quite happily but a bit slowly.

In all it cost me $50.00 but it provides me with a system that I can try things on without fear of loosing much if I have to FORMAT the hard drive and re-install the image I have.

I'll forgo the venture into Linux Land and let the Penguin operating system by used by the Neckbeards.

IE7Pro user

I just checked Windows Update and 7 were downloaded and installed on XP Pro for me.

Reboot required.

IE7Pro user

• Moderators
I'll forgo the venture into Linux Land and let the Penguin operating system by used by the Neckbeards.

Is this a new reference to nerds or something? I've seen you say this about apple users too.

I think spending hours on a forum posting about antivirus updates is a little nerdy too so I'm not sure if you want to go there. :P (I cant really talk either with my countless amount of waisted time but I'm just sayin...)

I will say that linux isn't only for the nerds as much as it once was. I've seen countless little eeepcs around campus being used by the trendy set. There are some based on xp but I've seen a good amount of the linux ones too. I thought about getting one to keep from dragging around my behomth of a laptop around but I think I'm just going to wait and get a nice ultra portable instead once I have the cash.(hoping the prices will come down a bit too though)