Stranded Blocks

galileo

@ MrRon & MrG

When using "Defrag" or "Defrag Freespace" the result upon completion will frequently leave isolated or stranded used blocks on the drivemap and thus, I am assuming, on the actual drive. The "freespace" is not truly being defragged or "compacted". These stranded blocks are an issue as other files are saved to the drive and - much more importantly - as dynamic pagefile and/or MFT spaces grow these are by necessity fragmented around these stranded blocks.

Can this issue be addressed so that freespace is in fact defragged - or alternatively "compacted"...?

I was just coming to the board to post on this same issue. I've tried defragging several times and can't get my drivemap to be solid. It has a dozen or so mixed blocks scattered about. Any way to resolve this?

@ MrRon & MrG

When using "Defrag" or "Defrag Freespace" the result upon completion will frequently leave isolated or stranded used blocks on the drivemap and thus, I am assuming, on the actual drive. The "freespace" is not truly being defragged or "compacted". These stranded blocks are an issue as other files are saved to the drive and - much more importantly - as dynamic pagefile and/or MFT spaces grow these are by necessity fragmented around these stranded blocks.

Can this issue be addressed so that freespace is in fact defragged - or alternatively "compacted"...?