Crashes back to desktop

Thom_D

I just downloaded Defraggler v1.03.093 and installed it on my laptop. Dell Latitude D620, 2 GB RAM, Intel Centrino Duo 1.6 GhZ, Windows XP SP 3, 35 GB free space on HD, Mobile Intel 945GM Express Chipset on board graphics chip.

When I started Degraggler it displayed the UI very briefly, 1 to 2 seconds at most and then simply crashed to the desktop. Checked running processes and don't see it listed post crash.

I uninstalled v1.03, downloaded the last v1.02.xxx and installed it and had the same problem. I tried to run the debug item but couldn't find the log file.

Thoughts on what to try next?

Thoughts on what to try next?

Hi Thom,

Welcome to the forums ! :D

Doesn't look good , does it.

Do this first. http://forum.piriform.com/index.php?s=&amp...st&p=116036

(If you installed or uninstalled any hardware or software the first thing I would do is a "REBOOT" but the CHKDSK is a good precautionary step as part of the REBOOT in this case. )

Try Defraggler now.

If still no luck then try Windows Disk Defragmenter. Still no luck, come back and let us know.

Good luck,

:) davey

OK Running chkdsk didn't help. I got the debug to run and have attached my log file. I will try to run Windows Defrag tonight after work and see if that helps.

Hi Thom,

Welcome to the forums ! :D

Doesn't look good , does it.

Do this first. http://forum.piriform.com/index.php?s=&amp...st&p=116036

(If you installed or uninstalled any hardware or software the first thing I would do is a "REBOOT" but the CHKDSK is a good precautionary step as part of the REBOOT in this case. )

Try Defraggler now.

If still no luck then try Windows Disk Defragmenter. Still no luck, come back and let us know.

Good luck,

defraggler.exe._1_2_85__2008_10_08_16_21_.txt

defraggler.exe._1_2_85__2008_10_08_16_21_.txt

OK Running chkdsk didn't help. I got the debug to run and have attached my log file. I will try to run Windows Defrag tonight after work and see if that helps.

I finally got a chance to run Windows Defrag and that seems to have helped. I was able to run Defraggler just fine. It runs so much faster than Windows Defrag. Keep up the great work.

I finally got a chance to run Windows Defrag and that seems to have helped. I was able to run Defraggler just fine. It runs so much faster than Windows Defrag. Keep up the great work.

Hi Thom,

Glad to hear things are OK for you now.

I just wanted be sure that you understood that the Chkdsk was not intended to make Defraggler run or not run. It really was to do an important step as regards all your Hard Drives. If you have more Hard Drives also run Chkdsk on them as well.

I have found over the past year that many new Users come to use CCleaner and Defraggler because their PC is not behaving as normal. Sometimes this is all they need to get things flying again.

But some users encounter more problems due to the fact that they have some disk errors that need to be fixed.

It is important to pay attention to the results of the Chkdsk as this may indicate problems that may continue, slowly or quickly, and special steps must be taken to backup all data before a Hard Drive crash occurs.

Thanks for your follow-up as this helps us all.

Good luck,