Your opinion on best Uninstaller

razz

A programs own uninstaller.

I go right along with you, Hazel !

If it is a lousy uninstaller then my opinion of the software manufacturer is lousy also.

However, there are many "lousy" software makers out there and what these guys are discussing is the result.

Norton sure cleaned up their act. Maybe? maybe ? ADOBE will do the same ???

I won't use any of their products until they do !!!

:) davey

• Moderators

The route I go:

1. Use the programs built-in and included uninstaller.

2. Use Total Uninstall to remove many of the left overs.

3. Go on a physical disk hunt for any left over appdata.

4. Look in the registry for any left overs in HKCU\Software and HKLM\Software.

5. Run CCleaner's registry cleaner, and two other registry cleaners.

I do the same as Andavari with a NTREGOPT run and reboot.

"Education is what remains after one has forgotten everything he learned in school." - Albert Einstein

IE7Pro user

The route I go:

I do the same, but without step 2. But often i use Windows Search to find any leftover folders and files.

In my opinion I still think CCleaner does a nice job as Uninstaller. I also find ZSoft very good.

What do you use for uninstalling?

CCleaner uninstaller and the Windows uninstaller are exactly the same. Why, because they use the same registry info.

e.g. In CC and Windows its displayed as CCleaner (remove only) and the thing that uninstalls it is C:\Program Files\CCleaner\uninst.exe. So you could uninstall your own CC if you used

Run: C:\Program Files\CCleaner\uninst.exe

each app as its own uninstall string.

Now the thing thats always bothered me with CC is it shows CCleaner (remove only) in the Uninstall section but if your running CC then you can't uninstall it because its being used. I think MrG shouldn't show CC in CC's uninstall section.

Now an app that I've been using for 5 years is Uninstall Manager 4.3 which is wrongly named it doesn't uninstall anything. It just tells you what additional files have been added to your drive since the last check. This will stop any adware, spyware or virus's being installed without you knowing it. Oh you can also do a system restore to the last saved restore point. Just checked the site and its no available at the moment, oh and it doesn't work under Vista or didn't. What do you want for free? I have mensioned this before in other posts but it appears no one else is interested. ;)

I've just done a web search and you can download it here

http://www.download.com/Uninstall-Manager/...4-10529137.html

Keith

Windows XP 2002 SP3

IE 7.0

Martin2k

Rorshach112 is the best

• Moderators

I can understand why no ones interested. Unless I'm missing something on that page you link to, it isn't free. It's only a 30 day trial.

And the comments from people who've tried it aren't very promising:- "Sucks"; "Did not work"; "Unusable, Fails to Work - No Trial Key".

With good freeware install trackers like ZSoft and Total Uninstall available, this ones a non starter in my opinion.

I can understand why no ones interested. Unless I'm missing something on that page you link to, it isn't free. It's only a 30 day trial.

Maybe so Dennis but did you know there is a fantastic device on the web its called a web search.

And the comments from people who've tried it aren't very promising:- "Sucks"; "Did not work"; "Unusable, Fails to Work - No Trial Key".

I don't know of any problems. I've used it on Win98/ME and XP without any problems. It does work and it is very usable. ;)

Keith

Windows XP 2002 SP3

IE 7.0

Martin2k

Rorshach112 is the best

The route I go:

I usually follow the same procedure, except for #2. I was just hoping that there was some magical uninstaller that I did not know about, but according to your posts, there is not. I think I will add Total Uninstall to the mix.

• Moderators
Now an app that I've been using for 5 years is Uninstall Manager 4.3 which is wrongly named it doesn't uninstall anything. What do you want for free?

I've just done a web search and you can download it here

http://www.download.com/Uninstall-Manager/...4-10529137.html

Maybe so Dennis but did you know there is a fantastic device on the web its called a web search.

I'm wounded here Keith, but I've got my happy smiley head on, tonight. :rolleyes:

I'm simply responding to a post stating that a free program can be downloaded from a provided link, when the link leads to a commercial program.

Why on earth would I want to go searching for a free version of a commercial application I don't want in the first place, even if I knew what a web search was? :)

I'm wounded here Keith, but I've got my happy smiley head on, tonight. :rolleyes:

I'm simply responding to a post stating that a free program can be downloaded from a provided link, when the link leads to a commercial program.

Why on earth would I want to go searching for a free version of a commercial application I don't want in the first place, even if I knew what a web search was? :)

I'm sorry to offend you Dennis.

Actually Dennis that was a slight error on my part. The last time I looked at the site it was saying it costs $14.95, which in English money its less than a tener. It will be the best tener anyone has ever spent on software.

P.S. The site is now working. ;)

Keith

Windows XP 2002 SP3

IE 7.0

Martin2k

Rorshach112 is the best

:o I did not realize that Total Uninstall is not a free program. Sadness. I'll just do without. I'll add Revo to the mix instead .... seems like a good product from what I've read.