AntiVir, F-Secure, and Kasperksy fail

tcoffeep

http://arstechnica.com/journals/microsoft....s-bulletin-test

Virus Bulletin (VB) conducted its latest test in September, posting the results this month. The security research company evaluated 24 anti-malware products for Windows Server 2008. The basic requirements for a product passing the test is detecting, both on demand and on access, in its default settings, all malware known to be "In the Wild" at the time of the review, and not detecting any false positives when scanning a set of clean files.

A third of the products did not manage to meet these requirements, including a few big names. Here are the eight products that failed the test, and the reason given for their failure: Avira AntiVir (1 false positive), F-Secure (1 false positive), Kaspersky (1 false positive), MWTI eScan Internet Security (1 false positive), Quick Heal AntiVirus (1 false positive), Arcabit ArcaVir (93 wildlist misses, 3 false positives), CA eTrust (1 wildlist miss), and Redstone Redprotect (1 wildlist miss, 1 false positive).

My biggest disappointment is with AntiVir, as it's the product I typically recommend to users who want solid protection but don't want to shell out a dime (AntiVir has a freeware version). I'm also a bit surprised Kaspersky and F-Secure managed to fail the test, as they are usually quite on top of things. The following 16 products passed the test: ESET NOD32, Agnitum Outpost, McAfee VirusScan, Alwil avast!, Microsoft Forefront, AVG, Symantec Endpoint Protection, Kingsoft, Ahnlab V3, Norman Security Suite, Rising Antivirus, Fortinet FortiClient, Sophos Endpoint Security and Control, Frisk F-PROT, Trustport Antivirus, and VirusBuster Professional.

The next VB test results will be posted two months from now and will be for Windows Vista x64; actual testing will be conducted in November.

Fantasy is the celebration of what we no longer are: individuals certain of our meaningfulness in a meaningful world. The wish-fulfillment that distinguishes fantasy from other genres is not to be the all-conquering hero, but to live in a meaningful world. The fact that such worlds are enchanted worlds, worlds steeped in magic, simply demonstrates the severity of our contemporary crisis.
Scott R. Bakker, Why Fantasy and Why Now?

RPG Codex - Putting the 'Role' back in RPG.

The Age of Decadence - A game everyone should look forward to.

Use Sandboxie and you will better off than you would with any AV.

Anthony,

I'm a fan of Sandboxie...been using it now for about 6 months now. My browsing is always sandboxed and I'm venturing into downloading new "test" programs into individual sandboxes.

I currently have Nod32, Spybot, and SAS on my system (free versions of the latter two) and I'm beginning to seriously reconsider my need for having all three of these programs. I'm not bold enough to dump all three, but since I very seldom ever scan with Spybot, I'm considering to remove that one.

Your thoughts?

Anthony,

I'm a fan of Sandboxie...been using it now for about 6 months now. My browsing is always sandboxed and I'm venturing into downloading new "test" programs into individual sandboxes.

I currently have Nod32, Spybot, and SAS on my system (free versions of the latter two) and I'm beginning to seriously reconsider my need for having all three of these programs. I'm not bold enough to dump all three, but since I very seldom ever scan with Spybot, I'm considering to remove that one.

Your thoughts?

I use Avira AntiVir running the real time protection. I also have Spybot, SAS, A-squared, Malwarebytes, Adawre SE, Windows Defender, and a couple Anti Root-kit scanners installed non of these with real time protection. I use them for the occasional scan and I have them just in case I do get infected.

It doesn't hurt to have the anti malware apps you have. Personally I would keep them. You only have 3 apps.

I use Avira AntiVir running the real timre protection. I also have Spybot, SAS, A-squared, Malwarebytes, Adawre SE, Windows Defender, and a couple Anti Root-kit scanners installed non of these with real time protection. I use them for the occassional scan and I have them just in case I do get infected.

It doesn't hurt to have the anti malware apps you have. Personally I would keep them. You only have 3 apps.

Thanks for the input.