CC no longer clears internet history

grantcc

I havent had any problems clearing history. Which OS and browser are you using? Do you recall the last version of CC that worked for you?

I am using IE7 and am currently using V2.11.636. The one prior to this release worked.

Welcome to Piriform Grant.

I have noticed on CC latest version that it no longer clears down the internet history of sites visited. Has anyone else experienced this?

I've noticed this for the last 3 or 4 versions. When you say clear internet history it does clear the history in the history folder but if you go on sites that you've been on previously the links that you have clicked before are normally a sort of red colour. Its this history that doesn't clear on both of my systems. ;)

Keith

Windows XP 2002 SP3

IE 7.0

Martin2k

Rorshach112 is the best

Grant, maybe a dumb question but how did you determine that the history was not being cleared? Also we arent dealing with typed urls or autocomplete right?

When you type in web addresses and access the sites all the sites visited in a session are added on to a list. If you go into Windoww, tools, internet options, general, Browsing history - delete, this clears down all websites visited in that session. Crap Cleaner use to do the same but it no longer does - not even its latest version.

CCleaner cleans my History but I have to have all browser windows closed.

t2000_history.png

I like IEHistoryView from NirSoft:

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/iehv.html

"Education is what remains after one has forgotten everything he learned in school." - Albert Einstein

IE7Pro user

• Moderators
CCleaner cleans my History but I have to have all browser windows closed.

Grant I'm going to agree with this here. Try the following. Close all ie windows (Including Outlook) go to task manger (Alt+Ctrl+Del) and find and kill all iexplore and ieuser that are running run cleaner with JUST internet information checked

then open your browser and you should see that the history is gone (if not please report here). Also you answered 2 out of the three main questions. Please answer the red question below; it would help us help you (and remember we are not the developers only a groupd of users)

1) CCleaner Version V2.11.636

2) Ie version 7

3) Os Version ? Sp# ?

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

When you type in web addresses and access the sites all the sites visited in a session are added on to a list. If you go into Windoww, tools, internet options, general, Browsing history - delete, this clears down all websites visited in that session. Crap Cleaner use to do the same but it no longer does - not even its latest version.

Grant. Sounds like your talking about Typed URLS. Those differ from history as they are stored in the registry under:

HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\TypedURLs

CC cleans History and typed URL's separately. In CC if you check the box Recently typed URL's under Internet Explorer you should be able to clear the typed URL's.

As Kenny & Nergal pointed out, IE has to be closed (or restarted if CC is run while the browser is open).

Grant I'm going to agree with this here. Try the following. Close all ie windows (Including Outlook) go to task manger (Alt+Ctrl+Del) and find and kill all iexplore and ieuser that are running run cleaner with JUST internet information checked

then open your browser and you should see that the history is gone (if not please report here). Also you answered 2 out of the three main questions. Please answer the red question below; it would help us help you (and remember we are not the developers only a groupd of users)

1) CCleaner Version V2.11.636

2) Ie version 7

3) Os Version ? Sp# ?

Thanks for that, I tried what you suggested but it made no difference. I am using XP home.

Thanks for that, I tried what you suggested but it made no difference. I am using XP home.

I think I have found the cause of the problem. I have a software package called Zone Alarm Field Force that sits in the background blocking dodgy sites and monitoring all internet traffic to and from the Pc. Even when the internet connection is off and all browsers are off line this is still operating in the background. For some strange reason this seems to be conflicking with the clear history option of Crap Cleaner. Once the Zone Alarm software was disabled Crap Cleaner cleared the browser history as it had always done.

Just a word of caution if using Zone Alarm Field Force it may conflict with Crap Cleaner.

Thanks for all your help guys.......... :)

• 5 months later...

I see this problem as well.

Most history is cleared out, but *some* items remain.

When I type a URL like t for twitter, I do see URL links that I expected to be deleted.

IEHistoryView from NirSoft shows clean

HKCU registery section shows clean

CCleaner v2.18.878 (Everything turned on under IE)

XP SP2

IE7

Symantec AV 10.1.8.8000

@ jjson >> I know this is a little offtopic, but you should really update to SP3....And turn Automatic Updates on (because if you haven't got SP3, Automatic Updates are probably disabled)

Piriform French translator

@Aethec - Thanks for the note. It is a corporate deployment, so they keep at SP2 and keep the patches updated through SMS.

Still a mystery on where the info for the web links in autocomplete are stored.

I have been able to figure out that Ccleaner is not taking care of the IE7 auto complete web addreses settings, which are stored in an encrypted form somewhere.

Clearing the encrypted listing (registry or file) or deleting the the file is OK, but Ccleaner is not doing it.

So any help identifing it, or fixing it in a future version is great.

Anyone have ideas?

I have been able to figure out that Ccleaner is not taking care of the IE7 auto complete web addreses settings, which are stored in an encrypted form somewhere.

Clearing the encrypted listing (registry or file) or deleting the the file is OK, but Ccleaner is not doing it.

So any help identifing it, or fixing it in a future version is great.

Anyone have ideas?

Perhaps a tad unhelpful, but use firefox? :)

Also i'll test this right now, one moment.

Hm, using winxp sp3 with IE7, it cleared the history of the websites I visited, are you sure you ticked the "autocomplete form history" option, and after the pop up notice clicked okay? thats kind of important :lol:

There are certain files that are not removed until a reboot occurs. If you look at the log after the cleaning operation, you will see possibly three items listed as "Marked for deletion". When you reboot, these files are removed and the complete history should be cleared at this point.

• 2 weeks later...

Clearing encrypted autocomplete web addresses is still an issue.

Firefox not an option

All options are ticked for cleaning

Reboot does not resolve

On XP SP2, with current patch levels

Using IE7

• Moderators

Am I missing something here?

I'll take that risk and stick my neck out anyway, and say the problem you have can surely be fixed from within IE7 itself.

Disable Auto-complete In Internet Explorer 7:

The web addresses check box specifies if you want Internet Explorer to automatically list previously entered internet addresses as you type them in the address bar. Deselect this check box if you don't want IE to list these entries.

The forms check box specifies if you want IE to list entries you've used before when filling in your name and address information in a web form. Deselect the check box to disable this option.

The user names and passwords check box makes IE automatically fill in the username and password information when you are visiting web pages that you have visited before.

More detailed info here:

If it isn't the same thing, then no worries, I just thought I'd mention it.

Go ahead and stick your neck out :)

Disabling IE7 auto complete for Web addresses only stops the function, it still keeps the entries. If you turn it on, all the remembered sites are still there waiting for you.

I'm thinking my best option is to delete the user, and start with autocomplete turned off.

I was just hoping that CCleaner would be able to take care of it. Something quirky. Gotta love MS.

• Moderators
Go ahead and stick your neck out :)

Disabling IE7 auto complete for Web addresses only stops the function, it still keeps the entries. If you turn it on, all the remembered sites are still there waiting for you.

I'm thinking my best option is to delete the user, and start with autocomplete turned off.

I was just hoping that CCleaner would be able to take care of it. Something quirky. Gotta love MS.

Well, it was a thought, and that sounds like a good workaround.