Add notice to Include and Exclude

Jamin4u

• Moderators
Add a notice in options Include and Exclude.

"Enable Custom Files and Folders in Cleaner Advanced Section".

Cleaner > Windows > Advanced > Custom Files and Folders.

This would save some posts, and frustration on new users.

Yup yup I agree

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

Exclusions dont require custom files & folders checked (only include).

Its based on implied usage. If a user adds items to the include list then he/she intends to clean those items.

I've never Excluded items so I'll take your word for it, in the CCleaners Guide it says the box should be checked.

You are correct that its implied. So why is the Custom Files and Folders option there in the advanced section?

My thoughts are that its a "do you really want to do this box".

So why not do this: Move the box inside the Include Section, or let us custom select with an individual box for each entry. (If Possible) :D

Not to be contrarian, but IMHO is up to the user take any action. Who said i want delete my customized files/folders every time i run CCleaner, and not, for instance, once a week or once a month? ;) In my opinion everything should be unchecked by default in CCleaner. Nevertheless this could cause as well some headaches and/or complaints about CCleaner not working at all, but... this is the life :lol:

max_sig.gif Guide in italiano per CCleaner - Recuva - Defraggler - Speccy

• Moderators

I concur. I think that many - perhaps the majority - of non-casual CC users like to be in control of their pc. If only there was a piece of software that introduced two new keys, marked 'Stop that immediately!' and 'Just do as I say, dammit!' I would be happier.

I like that idea! Check the box and the list is enabled and buttons are enabled. I made a concept image showing the enabled vs disabled state

I also like the idea of having a checkbox for each item. That would be helpfull when trying to figure out which included item entry is causing a problem. As it stands now you either enable all custom files/folders are none.

Also the startup tool works on an item by item basis. Its not disable or enable all. So another reason to go with a checkbox for each included item. The more i think about it more I like that idea. Good thinking Jamin4u.

I like the concept image you did Disk4mat. Could you do another image adding a checkbox for each included item.

With the Enable box and individual box for each entry, we would have the ability to enable/disable the section and have on/off settings for each entry. What more could anyone ask for! ^_^

Not to be contrarian, but IMHO is up to the user take any action. Who said i want delete my customized files/folders every time i run CCleaner, and not, for instance, once a week or once a month? ;) In my opinion everything should be unchecked by default in CCleaner. Nevertheless this could cause as well some headaches and/or complaints about CCleaner not working at all, but... this is the life :lol:

I concur. I think that many - perhaps the majority - of non-casual CC users like to be in control of their pc. If only there was a piece of software that introduced two new keys, marked 'Stop that immediately!' and 'Just do as I say, dammit!' I would be happier.

This suggestion allows for more customization and control over include! :D

It doesn't force you to do anything, or take control of your PC! ;)

Im feeling rather lazy so here is a quick concept image. I imagine something like the startup tool. Using a data grid component with an enabled\disabled column. This way there would be continuity. The disable button could simply function as a toggle depending on the selcted item.

I left the checkbox in the picture. It could serve as a enable all or disable all. In the scenario that you oly want to clean these items say once a month, then you could turn it on and off when finished.

Also please note I rushed this image. So the File Ext column reflects not just the ext, but file masks such as *temp*.txt, *.tm? etc etc.

I imagine something like the startup tool. Using a data grid component with an enabled\disabled column. This way there would be continuity. The disable button could simply function as a toggle depending on the selcted item.

I left the checkbox in the picture. It could serve as a enable all or disable all. In the scenario that you oly want to clean these items say once a month, then you could turn it on and off when finished.

Thats exactly what I imagined it to look like!

I like your idea of modeling it after the startup tool.

I hope that others like the idea, and its integrated into CCleaner.

Thanks for your help Disk4mat. :D

Jamin4u

CCleaner Rocks!!!

Thats exactly what I imagined it to look like!

I like your idea of modeling it after the startup tool.

I hope that others like the idea, and its integrated into CCleaner.

Thanks for your help Disk4mat. :D

Jamin4u

CCleaner Rocks!!!

I like the original suggestion and its result as envisioned also.

How about the same for the Exclude option also ?

You guys ROCK !!!

:) davey

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks MrG for implementing the ability to edit items. Much appreciated. I would futher like to request the ability to selectively enable/disable items for TS or times when you dont always want to clean everything in the 'Inlcude list'.

Here is a new concept image I made...

About the new editing feature... This is really a step forward. Thanks again MrG for this.

For those that arent familiar with the feature goto Options>Inlcude

1. Select the file you want to edit

2. Click the edit button

3. Edit the file mask (or select a different file/folder)

Thanks MrG for implementing the ability to edit items. Much appreciated. I would futher like to request the ability to selectively enable/disable items for TS or times when you dont always want to clean everything in the 'Inlcude list'.

Here is a new concept image I made...

About the new editing feature... This is really a step forward. Thanks again MrG for this.

For those that arent familiar with the feature goto Options>Inlcude

1. Select the file you want to edit

2. Click the edit button

3. Edit the file mask (or select a different file/folder)

Just noticed that there is also a right click menu:

- Edit

- Manual Edit

- Remove Selected

Selecting 'Manual Edit' does work as expected.

(i was breaking my brain trying to get rid of those asterisks

http://forum.piriform.com/index.php?s=&...t&p=118910 ) :P

max_sig.gif Guide in italiano per CCleaner - Recuva - Defraggler - Speccy

Just noticed that there is also a right click menu:

- Edit

- Manual Edit

- Remove Selected

Selecting 'Manual Edit' does work as expected.

I didnt know about that. Thanks for mentioning it!

I wish the Edit button performed the action of "Manual edit".