Orphaned cached Windows Installer

Yashar Fakhari

I just cleaned up 1.2 GB of orphaned cached Windows Installer data files from my C drive. These files are stored in C:\WINDOWS\Installer, and have registry keys that are attached to them. Not all C:\WINDOWS\Installer are to be removed, but sometimes when a windows installer fails, there are orphaned files that are left and a new instant of the same installer created a new folder instead of reuse/cleanup of the old files.

The only method that I currently know that safely removes the orphaned files are using "MSIZAP G" (G is a switch that needs to be passed to the command prompt command). msizap.exe is part of Windows Installer Clean Up utility that could be obtained from Microsoft http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290301.

** I WOULD NOT RECOMAND USING WINDOWS INSTALLER CLEAN UP GUI ** since most users might end up removing windows installers that would be necessary for future maintenance of the applications, but do recommend using the msizap.exe with the G switch to remove the orphaned installers. Note that the GUI does not have an option for removing the orphaned files (or at least I didn't find it).

So, here is my suggestion, can this functionality get put functionality in CCleaner by any chance to prevent having to install the Microsoft package which could also remove useful stuff?

Thanks.

• 3 weeks later...

though this is an old post its a good point indeed I was surprised to see how much crap you can really get rid off using CCleaner but like any tool of the sort its still needs to get in the guts of where more crap is hiding, I say it for myself here, good suggestion. Linux does have a package that does just that, its a shame that Linux hardware support is at best still in it infancy otherwise I think MS would be in for a shock. and we wouldnt be having this conversation :)

Userbar-contributer-red.gif

PC's & major failure of technology is attributed to a phenomenom called PEBKAC Problem exists between keyboard and chair.

Yes I agree more agressive and poorly conceived software does do more harm that good, however one thing of being a newby here has meant I have had plenty of experence with programs like you suggest and I experienced CCleaner I think you will agree with me that the developers of this program would not make such a mistake as to add dangerous options to the program though its safe to say that orphaned files dont have any use....

I thought removing the KB unistallers and all those redundant entries was a bold a great move even if that could be viewd as "unwise" by other professionals. And I love getting rid of Crap no use no point out it goes...

Userbar-contributer-red.gif

PC's & major failure of technology is attributed to a phenomenom called PEBKAC Problem exists between keyboard and chair.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hello,

thank you for this posting.

On my system I have the problem that my free space on my C partition is nearly gone (just 66 MB free).

My folder "C:\Windows\Installer" has 1122 MB.

So I switched to "C:\Programme\Windows Installer Clean Up\" and run "MSIZAP ?".

And really the help says: "G = remove orphaned cached Windows Installer data files (for all users)"

So I run "msizap G" but only one file was removed.

Now the folder is 1120 MB in size.

Is there anything else I can do to reduce the size of that folder?

A save way.

Of cause I can delete all files and sub-folders in "C:\Windows\Installer" but this is not a save way.

Thank you for your answers!

Greetings

OLLI

• 8 months later...

I agree with X-3 that removing the unused orphaned windows installers like the way Microsofts msizap !G performs it, would be a major improvement of CCleaner and won't be dangerous if it is performed like msizap G.

I think the orphaned windows installer files belong to the few remaining crap (but could consist of over 10+ GB data) that CCleaner doesn't clean still.

Just want to second this suggestion.

CCleaner is one of the 'milder' cleaners. Too often products are marketed as cleaning faster, deeper and more throughly than any other one. (...)

What about the idea of making CCleaner add-on extensible? This way cleaning options which you think are not entirely mild, like the cleaning suggested in this thread, will also be possible for the advanced pc users.

Already exists via winapp2.ini.

Can anybody tell me how to use this Windows Installer CleanUp Utility??? I would like to try that soon and see if I can clear a lot of crap from it.

I love computer maintenance tasks.

Some of my favorite programs:

Wordpad -basic word processing

Notepad - temporary clipboard and basic scripting module

Windows Media Player 12- video, music and online radio player

Windows Media Center - live TV, local FM radio

CCleaner- handy computer maintenance tool

If something fails to work after using the registry cleaner, use SYSTEM RESTORE.

• Moderators

The Windows Installer Cleanup Utility is simple to use actually, nothing much to teach of its usage. But you have to be super careful using it, because if you remove a valid/working uninstaller you may or will have issues.

The Windows Installer Cleanup Utility is simple to use actually, nothing much to teach of its usage. But you have to be super careful using it, because if you remove a valid/working uninstaller you may or will have issues.

But what I was asking for was the step by step process on how to use MizappG or blah bla bla. The exact procedure. I will have a difficult time trying to use it if I don't have the procedure. Perhaps its a great idea to implement this on CCleaner. thanks!!

I love computer maintenance tasks.

Some of my favorite programs:

Wordpad -basic word processing

Notepad - temporary clipboard and basic scripting module

Windows Media Player 12- video, music and online radio player

Windows Media Center - live TV, local FM radio

CCleaner- handy computer maintenance tool

If something fails to work after using the registry cleaner, use SYSTEM RESTORE.