CCleaner analysis stalls when it reaches Multimedia/Flash Player

honeythief

Hi all. :)

I've installed the latest version of CCleaner, but when I run the Cleaner utility the analysis stalls every time, and no 'files to be deleted' results are displayed.

Last time I ran the scan I noticed that the cleaning analysis stalled when it got to the Multimedia/Flash Player file section of the scan.

I'm running Windows ME with a Pentium III processsor and 512 MB RAM, with about 8% free hard drive space (which is why I need CCleaner).

I recently installed the same version of CCleaner on two PCs at work, which run XP SP3 and the cleaner utility works fine on both of them.

Any idea what, if anything, I'm doing wrong?

Thanks in advance. :)

honeythief

Hello honeythief, and welcome to the forum.

Try unchecking Flash Player and run the Cleaner.

Cleaner > Applications > Multimedia > Adobe Flash Player.

If the Cleaner runs normally, you could reinstall Adobe Flash Player.

Download and run the uninstaller from here.

Install Adobe Flash Player from here.

Uncheck optional toolbar if you don't want it.

Heres a link to the CCleaner guide.

Let us know if this helps, or if you need any more help.

Good Luck!

Many thanks for the welcome and the advice, Jamin4u. Much appreciated.

I've tried unchecking the Flash Player option and then running CCleaner, but the same thing happens as before; the analysis completes (presumably. I've no way of telling other than that both the 'analyze' and 'run cleaner' buttons become available) but produces no analysis results.

I've also tried running an analysis with the whole multimedia section unchecked, and finally with all the applications unchecked, and still no analysis results are displayed at the end of the scan.

The only way I can make CCleaner list its analysis results is to cancel the analysis part way through, which while proving it is capable of listing the results, obviously isn't very practical in terms of cleaning the junk off my drive.

So I'm still stumped... *scratches head*

Btw, before I started this thread I performed a search of the forum and checked back through the first few pages of the index to see if anyone else had had similar problems but didn't manage to find anything. Does this situation sound unique to regular posters or is it a common problem with older operating systems?

Hello honeythief,

1) Try what hazelnut suggested.

2) YoKenny is very familiar with Windows ME.

3) Note all of your settings, then uncheck all but one and scan the system.

If your problem disappears, then add one more of your settings and scan again.

By the process of elimination you will find the problem.

4) Uninstall CCleaner, download and Reinstall from here.

I use the slim version (No Toolbar).

Hi all. :)

I'm running Windows ME with a Pentium III processsor and 512 MB RAM, with about 8% free hard drive space (which is why I need CCleaner).

Any idea what, if anything, I'm doing wrong?

Thanks in advance. :)

honeythief

This may help if your C++ programs are too old or corrupted and causing problems.

CCleaner is written in Visual C++ . This has been an infrequent problem but it does occur more frequently on older OSes.

It sure can't harm anything to have fresh copies of these programs.

Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 Redistributable Package (x86)

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details...99-220B62A191EE

Supported Operating Systems: Windows 2000 Service Pack 3; Windows 98; Windows 98 Second Edition; Windows ME; Windows Server 2003; Windows XP Service Pack 2

The "REBOOT" is crucial to get the new modules loaded instead of the old ones.

Good luck,

:) davey

Hello honeythief,

2) YoKenny is very familiar with Windows ME.

I am but a lot of things do not run on it any more.

My friend's old Compaq was infested with the antivirus2008 infection that I could not remove so I did a FORMAT and installed WinME with the latest updates but I did not have to install Flash Player as my friend only uses it for Hotmail.

"Education is what remains after one has forgotten everything he learned in school." - Albert Einstein

IE7Pro user

Have you tried doing a scan in safe mode?

Thanks for the suggestion, hazelnut. I've just run an analysis in safe mode, but, alas, with the same outcome: the scan stops (stalls/completes?), both the 'Analyze' and 'Run Cleaner' buttons become available, and no scan results are displayed.

3) Note all of your settings, then uncheck all but one and scan the system.

If your problem disappears, then add one more of your settings and scan again.

By the process of elimination you will find the problem.

4) Uninstall CCleaner, download and Reinstall from here.

I use the slim version (No Toolbar).

Thanks again. I'll give both of the above a try and report back on developments.

Incidentally, I was advised that a newer version of CCleaner was available when I started it up today, so I d/led and installed it before I tried yet another scan, but it hasn't resolved the problem.

Would installing an older version of the software perhaps cure the problem? Was CCleaner around at the time of ME's release (you know, back when dinosaurs were roaming the planet *grins and rolls eyes at my archaic technology*)?

This may help if your C++ programs are too old or corrupted and causing problems.

CCleaner is written in Visual C++ . This has been an infrequent problem but it does occur more frequently on older OSes.

It sure can't harm anything to have fresh copies of these programs.

<snip>

Many thanks, davey. I'm a bit hesitant to tinker, perhaps unnecessarily, with an otherwise fully functioning set-up so I'll try the simpler options first and if that doesn't solve the issue, I'll give reinstalling Visual C++ a go.

Thanks again to everyone who's offered advice. It's much appreciated. :)

• Moderators

Older versions are many :)

Right hand side of page

http://www.filehippo.com/download_ccleaner/

Have you done a complete uninstall and reinstall yet or just over the top ones?

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

Older versions are many :)

Right hand side of page

http://www.filehippo.com/download_ccleaner/

Have you done a complete uninstall and reinstall yet or just over the top ones?

Can I just add a possibility to the things being tested, I have been working on a DCOM Configuration issue for one of my company applications and have found that "FlashUtil9f.EXE", which is the adobe flash update tool (I Believe) has been causing me some problems.

On a windows 2000 box it would cause dcomcnfg to fail to process application GUIDS from the registry, Past the point of the flash programs own guid ({D4304BCF-B8E9-4B35-BEA0-DC5B522670C2}).

The end result was that although my application WAS installed properly it would not display in dcomcnfg because of a registry rights permission configuration on the flash application, that cause dcomcnfg to stop processing further application details.

In essence I wonder if the flash app is causing the same kind of barrier to the CCleaner program with ME. Now Windows XP doesn't fail in the same way, it happily skips past the Locked registry entry and because ME is of a similar "vintage" to Win2000 That's why I'm wondering if the issue is related.

To be honest, my app is running on a business server so I just uninstalled flash and the problem went away, you could try this as a test to prove the point.

To show this I used Procmon.exe from the sysinternals.com website.

Please don't disregard it just because I am talking about Dcomcnfg, I'm using this as an example of a CLSID Guid scanning application that fails to completely process a list due to a locked registry entry

I have seen this on every windows 2000 box that has this version of flash installed on it now but don't see any sign of aknowledgement on Adobe support forums.

Hope this helps

Keith

• 2 weeks later...

Might the problem with CCleaner is that you need to do a CHECK DRIVE in safe mode? could have some internal file alloc problems?

Can I just add a possibility to the things being tested, I have been working on a DCOM Configuration issue for one of my company applications and have found that "FlashUtil9f.EXE", which is the adobe flash update tool (I Believe) has been causing me some problems.

On a windows 2000 box it would cause dcomcnfg to fail to process application GUIDS from the registry, Past the point of the flash programs own guid ({D4304BCF-B8E9-4B35-BEA0-DC5B522670C2}).

The end result was that although my application WAS installed properly it would not display in dcomcnfg because of a registry rights permission configuration on the flash application, that cause dcomcnfg to stop processing further application details.

In essence I wonder if the flash app is causing the same kind of barrier to the CCleaner program with ME. Now Windows XP doesn't fail in the same way, it happily skips past the Locked registry entry and because ME is of a similar "vintage" to Win2000 That's why I'm wondering if the issue is related.

To be honest, my app is running on a business server so I just uninstalled flash and the problem went away, you could try this as a test to prove the point.

To show this I used Procmon.exe from the sysinternals.com website.

Please don't disregard it just because I am talking about Dcomcnfg, I'm using this as an example of a CLSID Guid scanning application that fails to completely process a list due to a locked registry entry

I have seen this on every windows 2000 box that has this version of flash installed on it now but don't see any sign of aknowledgement on Adobe support forums.

Hope this helps

Keith