CCleaner vs Norton Security

marv6

Everytime I clean the registry with CCleaner my Norton Security stops working until I restore the registry entries deleted with CCleaner. When I scan the entries to be deleted I don't see any that refer to Norton. Is this a common problem and how does one get around it?

• Moderators
Is this a common problem and how does one get around it?

You could take a screenshot or right-click and select 'Save to text file' what CCleaner's registry cleaner is detecting then post it as a reply.

To exclude a registry key you go into this area of CCleaner 'Options->Exclude', but of course you have to know what registry key to block which is why it's vital to look at any CCleaner undo .REG files.

You could take a screenshot or right-click and select 'Save to text file' what CCleaner's registry cleaner is detecting then post it as a reply.

To exclude a registry key you go into this area of CCleaner 'Options->Exclude', but of course you have to know what registry key to block which is why it's vital to look at any CCleaner undo .REG files.

Thanks, good idea, The last time this happened(last time I ran CCleaner) I did try the exclusion but apparently did not do the right thing since it happened again. Unfortunately this makes me not want to run CCleaner until I get brave again. The registry text is included with the current Attachments

registry.txt

registry.txt

• Moderators

Most of the file you sent I'd say DON'T Delete

Delete the following Definitly:

Unused File Extension .nude HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.nude (sounds FISHY to me)

Delete ONLY IF you no longer use:

LavaSoft Adaware

HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Installer\Folders Installer Reference Issue C:\ProgramData\Lavasoft\Ad-Aware 2007 HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Installer\Folders Installer Reference Issue C:\ProgramData\Lavasoft\Ad-Aware 2007\update HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Installer\Folders Installer Reference Issue C:\ProgramData\Lavasoft\Ad-Aware 2007\update\backup HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Installer\Folders Installer Reference Issue C:\ProgramData\Lavasoft\Ad-Aware 2007\update\new HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Installer\Folders Installer Reference Issue C:\Utilities\Lavasoft\Ad-Aware 2007 HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Installer\Folders

TaxAct06

Invalid or empty file class TaxACT06Return HKCR\TaxACT06Return

Why would you delete Symantec things when you have a symantec (Norton Program)?!?!?!

PLEASE READ MY SIGNATURE

AND PLEASE BE CAREFUL WITH YOUR REG CLEANING

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

Most of the file you sent I'd say DON'T Delete

Delete the following Definitly:

Unused File Extension .nude HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.nude (sounds FISHY to me)

Delete ONLY IF you no longer use:

LavaSoft Adaware

HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Installer\Folders Installer Reference Issue C:\ProgramData\Lavasoft\Ad-Aware 2007 HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Installer\Folders Installer Reference Issue C:\ProgramData\Lavasoft\Ad-Aware 2007\update HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Installer\Folders Installer Reference Issue C:\ProgramData\Lavasoft\Ad-Aware 2007\update\backup HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Installer\Folders Installer Reference Issue C:\ProgramData\Lavasoft\Ad-Aware 2007\update\new HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Installer\Folders Installer Reference Issue C:\Utilities\Lavasoft\Ad-Aware 2007 HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Installer\Folders

TaxAct06

Invalid or empty file class TaxACT06Return HKCR\TaxACT06Return

Why would you delete Symantec things when you have a symantec (Norton Program)?!?!?!

PLEASE READ MY SIGNATURE

AND PLEASE BE CAREFUL WITH YOUR REG CLEANING

Interesting reply! I quess CCleaner is safe to use if one really knows what they are doing. One would think that CCleaner would only suggest that you delete entries that no longer are useful or serve no purpose. Why would it suggest that you delete entries that will cause you to loose active programs on your computer? Apparently it is only safe to use if you are willing to restore your system if something goes wrong. Thanks for the info. I will try to be more careful in what I delete.

• Moderators

I noticed from your registry.txt file that you may have Lavasoft Ad-Aware 2007 currently installed, it's outdated! Lavasoft Ad-Aware 2008 is available.

Let's try this for now to see if it works:

1. Start CCleaner.
  2. In CCleaner go into: Options->Exclude
  3. Now click Add Folder and input these one at a time:
    C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared
    C:\ProgramData\Symantec
    C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\LiveUpdate Notice
  4. For the registry problem click Add Registry:
    Select HKLM from the dropdown box, then paste in:
    Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Installer\Folders

Should look like this when done adding the registry key:
    i1791_ccaddregexclusion.png

I noticed from your registry.txt file that you may have Lavasoft Ad-Aware 2007 currently installed, it's outdated! Lavasoft Ad-Aware 2008 is available.

1. Start CCleaner.

Many thanks for the info. I will add this info to my exclusions. For the record I reran cclean registry cleaner and unclecked all items that mentioned my Norton Virusscan and cleaned the registry and my Norton is still working. Thanks again for your help.

1. Start CCleaner.

I found all but C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\liveUpdate Notice. Instead I fould C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\StartMenu|Programs\NortonInternetSecurity\*.*, which I added to the excluded items. The Lavasoft 2007 must be a left over file as I do have Lavasoft 2008 ad ware installed. Again thanks.