formatted, then fresh install on laptop

beatlebryce

The biggest thing, which makes it hard for me to do anything, is that I am unable to connect to the internet. I've tried multiple times to connect to my home's wireless network, but I can't. It doesn't give me the option to connect to any networks. I'm worried that maybe there is a driver problem, but as don't have the cd's that came with the laptop, I'm stuck. This is a fresh install of XP Pro SP3. Any other info you need, ask away. Thanks!

Who is the manufacturer of the laptop?

How did you install XP Pro fresh install?

Is the XP Pro software a legitimate version?

"Education is what remains after one has forgotten everything he learned in school." - Albert Einstein

IE7Pro user

The biggest thing, which makes it hard for me to do anything, is that I am unable to connect to the internet. I've tried multiple times to connect to my home's wireless network, but I can't. It doesn't give me the option to connect to any networks. I'm worried that maybe there is a driver problem, but as don't have the cd's that came with the laptop, I'm stuck. This is a fresh install of XP Pro SP3. Any other info you need, ask away. Thanks!

Plug your laptop into your router with an ethernet cable. With XP SP3 you should have default drivers installed for your controller, and you could just wait for a while (Make sure you have windows updates set to automatic), and after a while windows update will probably alert you that there are updates that need to be installed. Click on the little gold shield on the notification bar, then update your system. Also go into your Device Manager, and go through and double click on any of the devices that pertain to any of your hardware devices or controllers, then click on the driver tabs and then click "update". Even if there is no yellow ? mark by them, there could still be an update, but it's probably not critical. Now this will of course only work if you can connect to the internet with an ethernet cable. I have a laptop that I had the same kind of problem on, but when it was connected with the ethernet cable I was able to get on the internet. But I was also using Vista, and I think XP SP3 still installs those drivers to get going.

Ok, I am able to connect to my home network if the password is OFF. If I enter in the passcode, it will say " Acquiring network address" forever. I don't understand why it won't connect. There is a wifi indicator on the front of the laptop, a little blue antenna thing that glows when it's connected. It doesn't like up at all. As far as I know, I have the drivers installed, or else I wouldn't have been able to connect to the unprotected network. Any ideas?

Ok, I am able to connect to my home network if the password is OFF. If I enter in the passcode, it will say " Acquiring network address" forever. I don't understand why it won't connect. There is a wifi indicator on the front of the laptop, a little blue antenna thing that glows when it's connected. It doesn't like up at all. As far as I know, I have the drivers installed, or else I wouldn't have been able to connect to the unprotected network. Any ideas?

First make sure your Network Connection is set properly.

Did you Run the Wizards(Network Wizard and also Wireless Wizard) and on all the PCs "after everything" is hooked up and turned on.

Then reboot all PCs involved. These steps are important and related.

Not just the wireless wizard but the Network Wizard as well ? Look at my earlier post again.

You may have to do the Wireless network first and then the Network Wizard second. Then reboot.

I know you can do it. You have learned so much. We are all proud of you.

You may have to call your ISP for some advice also.

Keep us informed.

Good luck,

:) davey

P.S. After some more thought, you know it sounds like you are ready all you need to do is get an ISP person on the Phone and they can tell you the final steps to get assigned an Network address. Good luck !!!

You make sure your key and passwords are all in order and your security software then drop by the forum on your wireless laptop. :P

Edited by davey