firefox 3 Ram usage

Eli

I upgraded to FF 3.0.1 yesterday and it consumes about 100MB RAM.

Can any of you confirm that this RAM usage is it`s average ?

Thanks

Eli

OS : MS windows XP pro sp3 Processor : AMD Athlon 64x2 Dual core 3800, 2009Mhz.
Mother board : Gygabyte M61 PM-S2 Ram : 3GB
Disk space : 649.05 GB Default browser: Firefox
Protection : Sandboxie, MBam free version

The best thing to do is go on the internet and concentrate on what you're reading. If you concentrate on FFs' ram usage you're not really interested in going on the internet for the sake of going on the internet.

Yeah RAM is just a number but if you have a small amount of RAM and FF is using most of it than it's a problem. If you have plenty of RAM who cares if FF is using 70, 80, 100 or what ever. This is coming from a guy that obsessively monitored this and has 17 processes running on my machine :lol:

I upgraded to FF 3.0.1 yesterday and it consumes about 100MB RAM.

Can any of you confirm that this RAM usage is it`s average ?

Thanks

Eli

My school laptop runs about 520 Mb RAM out of 2 Gb, with fresh startup, it uses 450 MB at the most.

Yes, sometimes my firefox 3 uses my ram up to 150 MB with few tabs opened. I thought firefox was

light-weighted, less resource consumption and fast - I don't what's causing FF to use up to 150 MB,

I'm trying to change my browser to Opera,

- Eric

Finally ditched FF3 and went back to FF2.0.16.

FF2.0.16 consumes around 70-80MB as opposed to FF3.0.1 somewhere around 130MB!!!!!+ my processor working like crazy! CPU usage sometimes up to 30% !!!!!!!!

I would let go the thing with additional RAM usage, What I`m not willing to compromise is , any progrm massing with my CPU!!!!

I fail to understand why would they make FF3 a lesser product than FF2.

Regards

EP

I've been watching Firefox 3's ram usage on my vista machine, and this is my set-up:

Addons:

Adblock Filterset.G Updater, Adblock Plus, Addictive Typing Lessons, Ctrl-Tab, Download Statusbar, Feed Sidebar, Fire.fm, FireGestures, Flashblock, GooglePreview, Locationbar2, Menu Editor, Microsoft .NET Framework Assistant, MR Tech Toolkit, Open IT Online, QuickJava, Stealther, Stylish, Tempomail, Thumbnail Expander, United States English Dictionary, Yet Another Smooth Scrolling.

Theme:

HEAVEN.CUBE (usually), Proto(v1.1.1pre2) (not so much anymore).

With 8 tabs open, and the Feed sidebar checking 18 rss feeds, I only use 67MB of memory.

Addons:

Adblock Filterset.G Updater, Adblock Plus, Firebug, Firecookie, FirePHP, Fission, Flashblock, Menu Editor, Microsoft .NET Framework Assistant, QuickJava, Zotero.

Theme:

Chromifox(occasionally), Littlefox (mostly).

With 8 tabs open, and everything opened up, I only use 45MB of memory.

Addons:

Adblock Filterset.G Updater, Adblock Plus, Color Management, ColorfulTabs, CuteMenus - Crystal SVG, Fast Dial, Flashblock, Forecastfox, Glasser, GooglePreview, Microsoft .NET Framework Assistant, oldbar, QuickJava, Stylish, Thumbnail Expander, Yet Another Smooth Scrolling.

Theme:

XP on Vista

With 8 tabs open, it only uses 46MB.

Although, I might be a little more yahoo about Opera, if I liked it. ;)

Chrome is a new refreshment, though, from the general browser war material.

Fantasy is the celebration of what we no longer are: individuals certain of our meaningfulness in a meaningful world. The wish-fulfillment that distinguishes fantasy from other genres is not to be the all-conquering hero, but to live in a meaningful world. The fact that such worlds are enchanted worlds, worlds steeped in magic, simply demonstrates the severity of our contemporary crisis.
Scott R. Bakker, Why Fantasy and Why Now?

RPG Codex - Putting the 'Role' back in RPG.

The Age of Decadence - A game everyone should look forward to.

Memory usage in FF doesn't really worry me.

Below are some memory tips that may or may not work as I haven't tried them.

5 Tips to Reduce FF Memory Usage

Check Firefox Memory Usage:

Type " about:cache?device=memory " in the address bar and hit Enter. Firefox will display your current number of entries, maximum storage size, storage in use and inactive storage.

I fail to understand why would they make FF3 a lesser product than FF2.

Regards

EP

Yeah they sure didn't improve FF3 IMO. I still have several extensions that do not work with it plus I find FF3 slower and than FF2. Two big improvements in FF3 was supposed to be the speed and memory use and both those stink so basically FF3 is a step down. The only logical explanation for this is Microstupid secretly bought Mozilla and is Internet Explorifying Firefox. This is the process of taking a good browser and turning it into dog crap.

Yeah they sure didn't improve FF3 IMO. I still have several extensions that do not work with it plus I find FF3 slower and than FF2. Two big improvements in FF3 was supposed to be the speed and memory use and both those stink so basically FF3 is a step down. The only logical explanation for this is Microstupid secretly bought Mozilla and is Internet Explorifying Firefox. This is the process of taking a good browser and turning it into dog crap.

This seems to be the "mass" consensus, except in my circles. :blink:

Why is it that firefox 3 has always ran faster for me than 2 ever did?

Why do so many people have problems doing the same thing I do?

Why do so many people complain, when I've only had one problem related to a java client for a MUD I play?

I'm on the internet 4-5 hours a day, using this computer, and using firefox 3. I've never use IE7, and I used Chrome for the few days when it was the "new thing."

I'm so confused. :unsure:

Fantasy is the celebration of what we no longer are: individuals certain of our meaningfulness in a meaningful world. The wish-fulfillment that distinguishes fantasy from other genres is not to be the all-conquering hero, but to live in a meaningful world. The fact that such worlds are enchanted worlds, worlds steeped in magic, simply demonstrates the severity of our contemporary crisis.
Scott R. Bakker, Why Fantasy and Why Now?

RPG Codex - Putting the 'Role' back in RPG.

The Age of Decadence - A game everyone should look forward to.

• Moderators
This seems to be the "mass" consensus, except in my circles. :blink:

System configuration, other resident software, etc. I know FF 3 when installed on my system is a dog which is why I'm not even going to bother updating again, the portable version doesn't give me any issues however.

At some point I do realize I'll have to make a permanent switch after more exploits, etc., are discovered in 2.0.0.16 but hopefully they continue the v2 line for some time. Switching to Opera really isn't something I want as it also has some issues. So my future browser may just be IE, or an IE clone as updating to FF3 is simply out of the question as Mozilla has really killed it dead for me this time around.

Type " about:cache?device=memory " in the address bar and hit Enter. Firefox will display your current number of entries, maximum storage size, storage in use and inactive storage.

Thank you for the info.

EP

Hi humpty ;)

Below is my "Firefox Memory Usage" results.

Memory cache device

Number of entries: 0 Maximum storage size: 18432 KiB Storage in use: 4194303 KiB Inactive storage: 0 KiB

How do I read these results?

How many (MB of RAM) is being used?

Thanks for the info :D