registry scan problem

CCleaner will not fix a problem in my registry. CCleaner finds the file on the registry integrity scan but fails to fix it; for the simple fact that it finds the same 'problem file' on my computer daily. would anyone know why this is happening and why CCleaner can not correct the file after the scan is complete? the file name is...

"C:\WINDOWS\$NtUninstallKB938464$\spuninst\spuninst.exe".... thank you!

CCleaner will not fix a problem in my registry. CCleaner finds the file on the registry integrity scan but fails to fix it; for the simple fact that it finds the same 'problem file' on my computer daily. would anyone know why this is happening and why CCleaner can not correct the file after the scan is complete? the file name is...

"C:\WINDOWS\$NtUninstallKB938464$\spuninst\spuninst.exe".... thank you!

Hi mysteryman,

Welcome to the forums. :D

What is the complete information ? There should be a problem explanation also other than what you have listed.

:) davey

• Moderators

Two possible reasons:

• You need to be logged on as the Administrator.
  • Or that registry key needs to have the permissions changed. Although in some cases this won't even work!

If it's a registry permissions problem:

Registry Permissions:

Registry keys you think you've "removed" keep showing up in registry cleaners can be a problem with some Windows systems. It's also common with many security applications ("antivirus, firewall, etc.,") which may create entries in a particular area of the registry that even an Administrator account can't remove unless the permissions are changed to full access.

If your registry cleaner can't remove a registry key you'll need to manually edit the registry using RegEdit after setting permissions on the key(s) that won't delete.

Warning:

Manually editing the Windows registry is extremely dangerous if you don't know exactly what you're doing, any mishaps can result into the re-installation of software, or worse Windows itself. Even if you know what you're doing you should create a backup of the registry before manually editing it. Users of Microsoft Windows NT, 2000, XP, 2003, and Vista can use ERUNT (100% clean freeware, no adware, no spyware) to make a known good registry backup. Note: If you're not comfortable editing the Windows registry then don't do it, better safe than sorry!

ERUNT is available at: http://www.larshederer.homepage.t-online.de/erunt/index.htm

How to manually set registry key permissions to Administrators:

1. Make a registry backup first either with ERUNT, or System Restore!
    How to make a system restore point in Windows XP.
    How to make a system restore point in Windows Vista.
  2. Click Start, Run, and type in: RegEdit
  3. In RegEdit navigate to the key that your registry cleaner can't remove.
  4. Right click the registry key to display a pop-up, then click: Permissions
  5. Now click: Add
  6. Input into the field named 'Enter object names to select': Administrators
  7. Close RegEdit, and run your registry cleaner again. It "should" now be able to successfully remove the key it detects as invalid.

Hi mysteryman,

Welcome to the forums. :D

What is the complete information ? There should be a problem explanation also other than what you have listed.

thanks for the reply Davey....from time to time after i scanned and cleaned and scanned again, that was the only file that kept showing back up....now for what ever reason it doesnt show up and now i got more that show up not cleaned. the list below are the prefetch files that keep showing up, after i clean and scan for files again. i have a back up firewall that i can't just turn on and off like you can with a windows firewall. is my back up firewall the real problem im running into now? what can i do to correct this problem below? thanks for your time.

ANALYSIS COMPLETE - (0.224 secs)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1.91MB to be removed. (Approximate size)

Secure file deletion enabled - Gutmann (35 passes)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Details of files to be deleted (Note: No files have been deleted yet)

C:\WINDOWS\Prefetch\AD-AWARE.EXE-3122AD3A.pf 65.10KB

C:\WINDOWS\Prefetch\CCleaner.EXE-0BCE437C.pf 71.55KB

C:\WINDOWS\Prefetch\CLEANMGR.EXE-1F86EA8E.pf 98.35KB

C:\WINDOWS\Prefetch\FIREFOX.EXE-28641590.pf 81.55KB

C:\WINDOWS\Prefetch\HWUPDCHK.EXE-37A51FEB.pf 48.54KB

C:\WINDOWS\Prefetch\IEXPLORE.EXE-27122324.pf 92.93KB

C:\WINDOWS\Prefetch\IMAPI.EXE-0BF740A4.pf 29.90KB

C:\WINDOWS\Prefetch\LOGONUI.EXE-0AF22957.pf 31.38KB

C:\WINDOWS\Prefetch\MCSVRCNT.EXE-024F4049.pf 38.82KB

C:\WINDOWS\Prefetch\MCUIMGR.EXE-296A8DB6.pf 30.56KB

C:\WINDOWS\Prefetch\MCUPDATE.EXE-19916285.pf 80.66KB

C:\WINDOWS\Prefetch\MCUPDMGR.EXE-30842AD8.pf 0.13MB

C:\WINDOWS\Prefetch\NTOSBOOT-B00DFAAD.pf 0.71MB

C:\WINDOWS\Prefetch\QCCONSOL.EXE-1342BA31.pf 79.54KB

C:\WINDOWS\Prefetch\RUNDLL32.EXE-1357CA32.pf 34.26KB

C:\WINDOWS\Prefetch\RUNDLL32.EXE-1F20A0D1.pf 29.06KB

C:\WINDOWS\Prefetch\RUNDLL32.EXE-2BF3472E.pf 38.30KB

C:\WINDOWS\Prefetch\WMIPRVSE.EXE-28F301A9.pf 44.85KB

C:\WINDOWS\Prefetch\WUAUCLT.EXE-399A8E72.pf 40.13KB

C:\WINDOWS\Prefetch\YAHOOMESSENGER.EXE-06E29CD9.pf 97.78KB

C:\WINDOWS\Prefetch\YMSGR_TRAY.EXE-256366BA.pf 66.71KB

thanks for the reply Davey....from time to time after i scanned and cleaned and scanned again, that was the only file that kept showing back up....now for what ever reason it doesnt show up and now i got more that show up not cleaned. the list below are the prefetch files that keep showing up, after i clean and scan for files again. i have a back up firewall that i can't just turn on and off like you can with a windows firewall. is my back up firewall the real problem im running into now? what can i do to correct this problem below? thanks for your time.

ANALYSIS COMPLETE - (0.224 secs)

1.91MB to be removed. (Approximate size)

Secure file deletion enabled - Gutmann (35 passes)

Details of files to be deleted (Note: No files have been deleted yet)

C:\WINDOWS\Prefetch\AD-AWARE.EXE-3122AD3A.pf 65.10KB

C:\WINDOWS\Prefetch\CCleaner.EXE-0BCE437C.pf 71.55KB

C:\WINDOWS\Prefetch\CLEANMGR.EXE-1F86EA8E.pf 98.35KB

C:\WINDOWS\Prefetch\FIREFOX.EXE-28641590.pf 81.55KB

C:\WINDOWS\Prefetch\HWUPDCHK.EXE-37A51FEB.pf 48.54KB

C:\WINDOWS\Prefetch\IEXPLORE.EXE-27122324.pf 92.93KB

C:\WINDOWS\Prefetch\IMAPI.EXE-0BF740A4.pf 29.90KB

C:\WINDOWS\Prefetch\LOGONUI.EXE-0AF22957.pf 31.38KB

C:\WINDOWS\Prefetch\MCSVRCNT.EXE-024F4049.pf 38.82KB

C:\WINDOWS\Prefetch\MCUIMGR.EXE-296A8DB6.pf 30.56KB

C:\WINDOWS\Prefetch\MCUPDATE.EXE-19916285.pf 80.66KB

C:\WINDOWS\Prefetch\MCUPDMGR.EXE-30842AD8.pf 0.13MB

C:\WINDOWS\Prefetch\NTOSBOOT-B00DFAAD.pf 0.71MB

C:\WINDOWS\Prefetch\QCCONSOL.EXE-1342BA31.pf 79.54KB

C:\WINDOWS\Prefetch\RUNDLL32.EXE-1357CA32.pf 34.26KB

C:\WINDOWS\Prefetch\RUNDLL32.EXE-1F20A0D1.pf 29.06KB

C:\WINDOWS\Prefetch\RUNDLL32.EXE-2BF3472E.pf 38.30KB

C:\WINDOWS\Prefetch\WMIPRVSE.EXE-28F301A9.pf 44.85KB

C:\WINDOWS\Prefetch\WUAUCLT.EXE-399A8E72.pf 40.13KB

C:\WINDOWS\Prefetch\YAHOOMESSENGER.EXE-06E29CD9.pf 97.78KB

C:\WINDOWS\Prefetch\YMSGR_TRAY.EXE-256366BA.pf 66.71KB

I am not sure about that firewall that you mention. What is it ? Others may have an answer for you.

Do you use some Tweak tool to turn off Prefetch ? You are slowing down your PC by doing this.

Are you using an Include entry to try to Delete the Prefetch files ?

"Prefetch" is your friend and Windows cleans up what needs to be when necessary.

Of course, you may already know this.

These files probably can't be deleted while you are running CCleaner anyhow or the other programs that may be running also . Not sure but I would think so.

Edited by davey