Why can't I defrag in parallel?

Ramzy

Why does Defraggler literally lock itself once it begins to defrag?

29puumo.png

I've got 4 physical hard drives in my computer, with the first drive having 3 partitions.

The problem I have with Defraggler is that if I wish to defrag two or more physical drives separately, to cut down on time, I simply CAN'T do that... And on top of that, Defraggler doesn't have a scheduler... So if I want to defrag multiple hard drives, I simply cannot do so without having to be in front of my computer, babysitting it.

I understand that defragging multiple partitions is bad -- But defragging multiple hard drives simultaneously has nothing but benefits.

Will we ever be able to select multiple hard drives and defrag?

P.S.

I know that there are probably more important things in the works right now, such as a faster engine, boot time defragging, registry compacting, MFT compacting, optimized file placement, etc -- But being restricted to defragging ONE hard drive at a time is just plain silly.

• Moderators

You could try the command line df.exe.

Usage Guide:

Piriform Defraggler (Command-Line Version)Usage:"C:\Program Files\Defraggler\df.exe" /?"C:\Program Files\Defraggler\df.exe" /L [/debug]"C:\Program Files\Defraggler\df.exe" <drive> [/debug]"C:\Program Files\Defraggler\df.exe" <item> [<item>] [/s] [/debug]/? Show this message./L List all supported drives.<drive> Defrag drive.<item> Defrag file or folder. This option can be set multiple times, butall items must be on the same drive./S Recurse into subfolders.Examples:"C:\Program Files\Defraggler\df.exe" C:Defrag drive C:"C:\Program Files\Defraggler\df.exe" "C:\Program Files"Defrag "C:\Program Files" folder."C:\Program Files\Defraggler\df.exe" "C:\Program Files" /SDefrag "C:\Program Files" folder and recurses into sub folders."C:\Program Files\Defraggler\df.exe" "C:\Windows\*.exe"Defrag all executables inside "C:\Windows" folder.

So let's say you want to defrag all your hard disks via a batch file you could have this inside of it, and it will defragment each hard disk/partition one at a time:

"C:\Program Files\Defraggler\df.exe" C:"C:\Program Files\Defraggler\df.exe" F:"C:\Program Files\Defraggler\df.exe" G:"C:\Program Files\Defraggler\df.exe" V:"C:\Program Files\Defraggler\df.exe" W:"C:\Program Files\Defraggler\df.exe" X:clsexit