Printing woes

Corona

(Friend with Vista, possibly laptop) "This problem has to do with the size of the print. The size of the print on my monitor looks fine, same as always. However when I go to print something it is so small I can hardly read it. To my knowledge nothing has been changed on this computer. I have the screen resolution set at 1280 x 906 and the DPI is set at 120. I even did a system restore. Any hints as to what may be wrong?"

(Corona) "Woah, printing is not my forte, or if you've been reading obscure blogs, my fort.

1280 x 906 almost sounds widescreen, possibly a laptop.

Try setting your DPI (back) to 96, if you have that option. (Right-click a blank part of your desktop/Properties/Settings/Advanced, under the General tab, in the drop-down menu, change from 120 DPI to 96 DPI) Of course, these are the instructions for XP."

(Friend) "Welp, I have always had the settings of 1280 x 906 and DPI of 120 on this computer. But I will try 96. But that prolly won't work as the 120 always did. I am going to bed now, so I will try it tomorrow."

------------------

Any takers on this? :blink:

(Friend with Vista, possibly laptop) "This problem has to do with the size of the print. The size of the print on my monitor looks fine, same as always. However when I go to print something it is so small I can hardly read it. To my knowledge nothing has been changed on this computer. I have the screen resolution set at 1280 x 906 and the DPI is set at 120. I even did a system restore. Any hints as to what may be wrong?"

(Corona) "Woah, printing is not my forte, or if you've been reading obscure blogs, my fort.

Try setting your DPI (back) to 96, if you have that option. (Right-click a blank part of your desktop/Properties/Settings/Advanced, under the General tab, in the drop-down menu, change from 120 DPI to 96 DPI) Of course, these are the instructions for XP."

(Friend) "Welp, I have always had the settings of 1280 x 906 and DPI of 120 on this computer. But I will try 96. But that prolly won't work as the 120 always did. I am going to bed now, so I will try it tomorrow."

------------------

<_< OK Sleepy Eyes,

You will "prolly" wake-up looking for this post in the Software forum tomorrow morning.

Who knows, it may be there by then.

Anyhow, I would be looking more into some accidental mouse-click being made in one of the Printer windows before actual Printing.

:) davey

I found that having the DPI is set at anything other than the default of 96 causes all kinds of display problems like windows not showing all of the information with truncation at the right of the window.

My old eyes can handle 1024x768 but 1280x906 would give me a headache or get stronger reading glasses that I keep loosing.

"Education is what remains after one has forgotten everything he learned in school." - Albert Einstein

IE7Pro user

I found that having the DPI is set at anything other than the default of 96 causes all kinds of display problems like windows not showing all of the information with truncation at the right of the window.

You mean small solid-faced dialog windows? I've been getting truncation for years. Thank God they've given just enough info for me to make the right decisions. And my DPI is set to 96.

You mean small solid-faced dialog windows? I've been getting truncation for years. Thank God they've given just enough info for me to make the right decisions. And my DPI is set to 96.

Hi Corona,

Is the person in this other thread the same as your friend or just co-incidental ?

http://forum.piriform.com/index.php?s=&amp...st&p=114224

:) davey

Yes, that's my friend. I found her at Astroland in Coney Island eating a hotdog and crying for her Mommie so I took pity on her. I thought the Parachute Ride would calm her down but, kids these days.

She's really a very sweet woman I know on another board.

------------------

Ok, I am the one with the problem. :( I do have Vista, but it is not a laptop.

• Moderators

Is it when you print from a web page you have the problem, or is it printing in general from anything?

If it's webpages have a look here

http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Windows/e...46a2831033.mspx

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

My old eyes can handle 1024x768 but 1280x906 would give me a headache or get stronger reading glasses that I keep loosing.

But I have always had the setting of 120 and 1280 x 960. It has never been a problem til now, when all of a sudden the print on the page is so tiny. Yet the monitor print is still fine. I have no idea what I could have done to make this unwelcome change. :unsure:

• Moderators

Messed up printer drivers, maybe.

Perhaps this will help, then again it may be a total waste of time:

1. Uninstall your printer drivers.

2. Restart Windows.

3. Reinstall your printer drivers, or download any new updated version they may have available.

2. Restart Windows.

3. Reinstall your printer drivers, or download any new updated version they may have available.

Okay, do you guys have an emoticon for "I feel faint."? Okay, I might try and figure out how to do that. But like Scarlette O'Hara says "I'll think about it tomorrow."

2. Restart Windows.

Okay, I am really dumb as in D-U-M-B. I have no idea how to uninstall printers drivers. When I look under programs that will let you uninstall, I don't see anything resembling a printer. I don't have a disk for it either, as it was purchased before I purchased the CPU. When I go to printers in the control panel, I don't see any way to uninstall from there either. BTW, what could I unknowingly have done to mess up the printer drivers? :blink:

• Moderators
what could I unknowingly have done to mess up the printer drivers? :blink:

Nothing I know of if you weren't playing around with the settings. Could've been a Microsoft update as they're supposedly issuing ActiveX killbits to remove vulnerabilities in third-party software, but who knows if such a thing would mess with your printer.

For official drivers you'd visit the manufacturers website, then physically pick up your printer and look on the back or bottom for the model number/name and punch that information into the website for a compatible driver download. If you're using Windows Vista it could be a driver issue if you're using an old XP driver.

Note: Before messing with anything I'd highly recommend making a system restore point in case installing new drivers could make matters even worse.

How to make a system restore point in Windows XP.

How to make a system restore point in Windows Vista.

Okay, I am really dumb as in D-U-M-B. I have no idea how to uninstall printers drivers. When I look under programs that will let you uninstall, I don't see anything resembling a printer. I don't have a disk for it either, as it was purchased before I purchased the CPU. When I go to printers in the control panel, I don't see any way to uninstall from there either. BTW, what could I unknowingly have done to mess up the printer drivers? :blink:

Okay, while looking for something else yesterdayI found the cd that came with the printer. Is there any way to fix the problem with this, and if so, how? Thanks in advance.

• Moderators
I can't find any way to uninstall it.

1. Make a System Restore Point first! Links to instructions are listed at the very bottom of this post.

2. It may have a repair function when running the setup file from the setup CD. If it doesn't you may be able to just install right over the existing installation.

To un-install a printer.

Go to Control Panel then Printers and Faxes then select printer then right click in the printer you want to delete then tap Del key.

To install a new printer insert the supplied CD then it should auto load and if it does not then use the Windows key + E ( key to the left of the Ctrl key that had a Windows logo on it together with the E key ) to open Windows Explorer then navigate to the CD and run the Auto file you find there.

You may have to attach the printer before you run the CD but it will be easy to attach if it is a USB type printer that most printers are these days.

"Education is what remains after one has forgotten everything he learned in school." - Albert Einstein

IE7Pro user

1. Make a System Restore Point first! Links to instructions are listed at the very bottom of this post.

2. It may have a repair function when running the setup file from the setup CD. If it doesn't you may be able to just install right over the existing installation.

As if by magic it corrected itself. Without me doing anything. :o

• Moderators
As if by magic it corrected itself. Without me doing anything. :o

You must have frightened it into working! 2132%20(127).gif

I don't know why you had the problem with it to begin with. On one occasion when I printed a wallpaper of a Corvette C6 to my amazement it didn't use a full sheet of photo paper and instead printed an image not even an inch long - made a nice refrigerator magnet though. :lol: