Shutdown/Restart Icons

Jamin4u

My sister is disabled and theses would make it easier for her.

Shutdown/Restart Icons

1) Are these correct and safe to use on a daily basis?

2) Will these work on Vista and XP?

3) Should I add time at the end to lets say "Shutdown.exe -s -t 05" ?

To allow time for programs to shutdown.

Thanks,

Jamin4u

1) They look like they would be safe to use and I believe they are correct.

2) It says it's for Vista, but someone said in the comments that they should work for XP as well.

3) Better to be safe than sorry.

Honestly, to be super safe, create a restore point, try them out, and if something happens, you have the restore point to fall back on.

AJ

Jamin4u, I do that on my XP systems

t1624_reboot.png

3) Permits you to stop the Shutdown or Restart.

Windows takes care of program closing but if you have unsaved work in the application then it will be lost.

"Education is what remains after one has forgotten everything he learned in school." - Albert Einstein

IE7Pro user

Honestly, to be super safe, create a restore point, try them out, and if something happens, you have the restore point to fall back on.

Good Idea

Jamin4u, I do that on my XP systems

t1624_reboot.png

3) Permits you to stop the Shutdown or Restart.

Windows takes care of program closing but if you have unsaved work in the application then it will be lost.

Do you leave your time at "Shutdown.exe -s -t 00" ?

I set them to 10 seconds so that I can change my mind if I remember I have not saved something.

"Education is what remains after one has forgotten everything he learned in school." - Albert Einstein

IE7Pro user

I set them to 10 seconds so that I can change my mind if I remember I have not saved something.

This will help her shutdown her computer. I will leave it at 00 seconds because the abort screen is not needed for her. I may start using this method to shutdown and restart for the simple fact that its convenient.

Thanks,

Jamin4u

• Moderators

I'd use a countdown timer myself because if it's accidentally clicked that could cause some frustration, or even worse like unsaved work being lost.

I'd use a countdown timer myself because if it's accidentally clicked that could cause some frustration, or even worse like unsaved work being lost.

Could someone give me an example on how to add -a to abort shutdown during the time-out period.

If you could give me the basics on how to use the rest I would really appreciate it.

Thanks,

I found this on the Internet.

WindowsXP has a program called SHUTDOWN.EXE which allows you to easily create icons to shutdown or restart your computer.

To create a shutdown shortcut on the desktop:

Right click on an open area of the desktop

Select New / Shortcut

Enter in "shutdown -s -t 00" - (no quotes)

Press the Next button

For the name, enter in anything you like. I just use shutdown. Click the Finish button.

For a reboot, enter "shutdown -r -t 00"

Shutdown [{-l|-s|-r|-a}] [-f] [-m [\ComputerName]] [-t xx] [-c "message"] [-d[p]:xx:yy]

Parameters:

-l - Logs off the current user, this is also the default. -m ComputerName takes precedence.

-s - Shuts down the local computer.

-r - Reboots after shutdown.

-a - Aborts shutdown. Ignores other parameters, except -l and ComputerName. You can only use -a during the time-out period.

-f - Forces running applications to close.

-m [\ComputerName] - Specifies the computer that you want to shut down.

-t xx - Sets the timer for system shutdown in xx seconds. The default is 20 seconds.

-c "message" - Specifies a message to be displayed in the Message area of the System Shutdown window. You can use a maximum of 127 characters. You must enclose the message in quotation marks.

My sister is disabled and theses would make it easier for her.

Shutdown/Restart Icons

1) Are these correct and safe to use on a daily basis?

2) Will these work on Vista and XP?

3) Should I add time at the end to lets say "Shutdown.exe -s -t 05" ?

To allow time for programs to shutdown.

Thanks,

Jamin4u

I've been using these since my days as a 95 user, like all the others have stated they are perfectly safe to use.

I wouldn't want to shut down any other way now.

• Moderators
If you could give me the basics on how to use the rest I would really appreciate it.

Done via a batch file, just copy and paste the individual code listed below!

Line 1=Shutdown.

Line 2=Pause which allows you to access Line 3 if you want to abort the shutdown by pressing any keyboard key.

Line 3=Abort Shutdown.

Line 4 and 5=Close the batch file Command Prompt window.

shutdown -s -t 15 -c "System Shutdown"pauseshutdown -aclsexit

Line 1=Restart.

Line 2=Pause which allows you to access Line 3 if you want to abort the restart by pressing any keyboard key.

Line 3=Abort Restart.

Line 4 and 5=Close the batch file Command Prompt window.

shutdown -r -t 15 -c "System Restart"pauseshutdown -aclsexit

Line 1=Log Off to the Welcome screen. This one cannot be aborted as a countdown timer doesn't work - well at least not in XP it doesn't.

shutdown -lclsexit