Worms Wriggling Their Way Through Facebook

YoKenny

Worms Wriggling Their Way Through Facebook

Early last week, Trend Micro has flagged two malware with a type that is slowly and steadily making itself get noticed: worms, and the most notable to date are WORM_KOOBFACE.E and WORM_KOOBFACE.D.

One may recall that both worms are unique since these take advantage of user interactivity, an awesome Web 2.0-borne feature, by making this a part of the whole propagation chain. Somewhere between their execution on the affected system to their possible deletion from it, these worms search for a string or set of strings in cookie files related to the popular social-networking site Facebook. Once a match is found, these worms then access the user?s profile using the credentials from the cookies to add links pointing to a copy of itself in the affected user?s profile for virtually anyone to find and click on to download.

"Education is what remains after one has forgotten everything he learned in school." - Albert Einstein

IE7Pro user

Just another reason to avoid the stupid "social networking" sites which are full of pathetic people franticly adding people to their friends list in a desperate attempt to improve their self image.

end rant

Dell Latitude D600

Windows 7 Ultimate 32-bit SP1

follow_me-c.png

Just another reason to avoid the stupid "social networking" sites which are full of pathetic people franticly adding people to their friends list in a desperate attempt to improve their self image.

end rant

That's the ONLY way I can keep in touch with my daughter and niece as they live far away and they like it and show me pictures of their adventures.

"Education is what remains after one has forgotten everything he learned in school." - Albert Einstein

IE7Pro user

Places like MySpace anf Facebook are being made scapegoats just because of their popularity.

Sure there will be exploits exposed, sure there will be scaremongers, but then they are possibly the most used sites on the web. It stands to reason that they will have problems.

As with any other form of surfing, if used with caution they can be just as safe as anywhere else on the net.

Bad habits lead to infections, not popular websites.

That's the ONLY way I can keep in touch with my daughter and niece as they live far away and they like it and show me pictures of their adventures.

I'm glad you find it useful, but my opinion remains the same. :)

EDIT: Sorry, that response was a little rude sounding. I do have a pretty negative view of sites like MySpace and Facebook and in some cases, those that use them. However, if you have use them in beneficial ways like that, I think that's great.

Dell Latitude D600

Windows 7 Ultimate 32-bit SP1

follow_me-c.png