Freeware Browsers

YoKenny

Freeware Browsers - A Freeware Graphical Web Browser Guide for Windows

This is a freeware graphical web browser guide for Windows. It compares the most popular features between each browser. All of the following web browsers are 100% free, not Shareware. None have any Adware or Spyware. All have been installed and tested for basic compatibility with Windows XP. Most should work with other versions of Windows, just check the requirements. However, Internet Explorer 7 will only work in Windows XP SP2 or Windows Vista.

http://home.comcast.net/~SupportCD/FreewareBrowsers.html

"Education is what remains after one has forgotten everything he learned in school." - Albert Einstein

IE7Pro user

There are many browsers not listed there. World browser and Sleipnir for example.

I just started using Spleipnir, and it is EXCELLENT. By far the most customizable I've ever used. By the way, how in the world do you pronounce it?

Dell Latitude D600

Windows 7 Ultimate 32-bit SP1

follow_me-c.png

No where near as customizable as Opera and FireFox.

I disagree. Firefox and Opera have more pre-made plugins and skins, but Sleipnir can be customized in many ways the two biggies cannot. For example, I was tired of seeing the old outdated Google logo in the search bar, so I was able to use Google's new favicon there instead. Good luck doing that in Firefox or Opera.

Dell Latitude D600

follow_me-c.png

I disagree. Firefox and Opera have more pre-made plugins and skins, but Sleipnir can be customized in many ways the two biggies cannot. For example, I was tired of seeing the old outdated Google logo in the search bar, so I was able to use Google's new favicon there instead. Good luck doing that in Firefox or Opera.

There may be a few things that are unique to Sleipnir. Most browsers have something unique to them and no browser has it all. I can tell you though having tried most of the listed browsers including Sleipnir that Opera is in a league of it's own as far as customizing it goes. Hundreds of mouse gestures. Thousands of skins. Thousands of buttons. Easy to edit ini files for all the menus. I could go on. Opera has a large learning curve compared to all the other browsers I have tried. You can install it and figure the basics out pretty quickly like most browsers but you would just be scraping the surface of what is possible with it.

• Moderators

I did use Sleipnir for about 6 months and I know YoKenny had a try of it lately.

I found it very customizable indeed and has a low memory footprint. It is a great browser to try out and see what you think, there's a lot more info on the Sleipnir main site now than when I used it.

I am back to Opera now but will probably give another browser a go in the near future.

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

The only thing holding Sleipnir back in my opinion is that the official Gecko plug-in is a slightly outdated version, and it's in Japanese. It is version 1.8.1 which is what Firefox 2.0 used. The latest version is 1.9.1 used by Firefox 3.1.

http://public.fenrir.co.jp/en/community/viewtopic.php?t=3136

Dell Latitude D600

follow_me-c.png

I did use Sleipnir for about 6 months and I know YoKenny had a try of it lately.

I found it very customizable indeed and has a low memory footprint. It is a great browser to try out and see what you think, there's a lot more info on the Sleipnir main site now than when I used it.

I am back to Opera now but will probably give another browser a go in the near future.

I'm back to my comfortable old IE7 with IE7Pro.

Its like trying to break in new sneakers or blue genes as it takes ages to get them comfortable and I like to wear them until there is nothing left of them.

I'm amazed at how fast this old PIII is with IE7 and a few Tabs open as well.

"Education is what remains after one has forgotten everything he learned in school." - Albert Einstein

IE7Pro user

Blue genes?
I ment Blue Jean

IE7Pro user

The only thing holding Sleipnir back in my opinion is that the official Gecko plug-in is a slightly outdated version, and it's in Japanese. It is version 1.8.1 which is what Firefox 2.0 used. The latest version is 1.9.1 used by Firefox 3.1.

http://public.fenrir.co.jp/en/community/viewtopic.php?t=3136

Very few skins and the ones that were there I did not like. No where near the addons available for Firefox and nowhere near the built in functionality of Opera.

If you are coming off of IE than it's no wonder Sleipnir seems amazing for you. If you have been using FireFox or Opera and are still amazed by Sleipnir than I would suggest you didn't take Firefox or Opera to their full potential. I have tried every browser I can think off and none come close to those two. My third choice is Maxthon 2 which was also much better than Sleipnir. I keep IE installed because I need it to run Maxthon 2 and with IE7 Pro IE7 is tolerable but clunky to use.

Very few skins and the ones that were there I did not like. No where near the addons available for Firefox and nowhere near the built in functionality of Opera.

If you are coming off of IE than it's no wonder Sleipnir seems amazing for you. If you have been using FireFox or Opera and are still amazed by Sleipnir than I would suggest you didn't take Firefox or Opera to their full potential. I have tried every browser I can think off and none come close to those two. My third choice is Maxthon 2 which was also much better than Sleipnir. I keep IE installed because I need it to run Maxthon 2 and with IE7 Pro IE7 is tolerable but clunky to use.

Then I guess we just disagree, bro. I have used Firefox for ages...since version 0.7 in fact. I still use it on my Athlon 64x2 XP machine, but on my lesser-powered Win2k machine, Sleipnir just fits the bill. On weaker computers, IE is a much more efficient engine than FF/Opera, and Maxthon had been causing browsing problems (and here). When I need to use the IE engine, I feel that Sleipnir is the best, and it is able to be easily customized in ways you can't in Firefox (like the item I mentioned earlier). There are definitely far fewer pre-built plug-ins available, but I barely have any installed in FF anyways, and I far prefer the Sleipnir RSS plug-in over FF's built-in RSS or any of it's RSS plug-ins.

Dell Latitude D600

follow_me-c.png

Then I guess we just disagree, bro. I have used Firefox for ages...since version 0.7 in fact. I still use it on my Athlon 64x2 XP machine, but on my lesser-powered Win2k machine, Sleipnir just fits the bill. On weaker computers, IE is a much more efficient engine than FF/Opera, and Maxthon had been causing browsing problems (and here). When I need to use the IE engine, I feel that Sleipnir is the best, and it is able to be easily customized in ways you can't in Firefox (like the item I mentioned earlier). There are definitely far fewer pre-built plug-ins available, but I barely have any installed in FF anyways, and I far prefer the Sleipnir RSS plug-in over FF's built-in RSS or any of it's RSS plug-ins.

Use what works for you thats what matters most ;) You said you barley use any of the extensions for FireFox than in that case I see why you would prefer Sleipnir because FireFox in default form is nothing special. It's the extensions that make it good.

I will strongly disagree on IE being a more efficient engine than Opera. Of all my browsers Opera is the fastest and use the least resources by far. I run the portable version of Opera off my USB and I can't tell the difference from using the installed version it's that light on resources.

I will strongly disagree on IE being a more efficient engine than Opera. Of all my browsers Opera is the fastest and use the least resources by far. I run the portable version of Opera off my USB and I can't tell the difference from using the installed version it's that light on resources.

You're probably right, but the exception seems to be on older computers. I've tried both Firefox and Opera on my Win2k machine, and they're both much slower than the included IE6 engine. It sucks, because I'd much rather use the safer Gecko and Presto rendering engines. It's just that they load pages so much slower than Trident. I've been told that is because Trident is integrated with the OS, so there are some efficiency advantages that only become apparent on ancient PC's.

Like I said, this is probably only true on old, weak computers. I'm sure on the average PIII and newer machines, Opera is much faster.

Dell Latitude D600

follow_me-c.png

• 3 months later...

Firefox 3.0.5 :-)

Fantasy is the celebration of what we no longer are: individuals certain of our meaningfulness in a meaningful world. The wish-fulfillment that distinguishes fantasy from other genres is not to be the all-conquering hero, but to live in a meaningful world. The fact that such worlds are enchanted worlds, worlds steeped in magic, simply demonstrates the severity of our contemporary crisis.
Scott R. Bakker, Why Fantasy and Why Now?

RPG Codex - Putting the 'Role' back in RPG.

The Age of Decadence - A game everyone should look forward to.