Lists of Lists updated 2008-08-28

YoKenny

4 new and 71 updated items in 47 lists:

http://lists.thedatalist.com/pages/New_Links.htm

Stan & Ollie

"Education is what remains after one has forgotten everything he learned in school." - Albert Einstein

IE7Pro user

• Moderators

This list is odd... its a little bit of everything yet it leaves off obvious areas as well. Its freeware and shareware which is fine but for instance on ashampoo they make no notice of the free version. Its not a bad list but to be honest if someone asks "hey whats a site with good software" I'm probably going to send them to filehippo(since its basically just good software anyway) or maybe the gizmo site(or any of the other 100 freeware/recommended software sites).

Its not a bad list of stuff its just a little bit of an odd mix and lets be honest, could he have made it any less exciting looking? :lol:

I'm just throwing out suggestions since maybe you know whoever put this up? Basically do something different!

I get this from newsgroup grc.news.latestversions on news server news.grc.com and I just post the announcement.

They are receptive to comments.

"Education is what remains after one has forgotten everything he learned in school." - Albert Einstein

IE7Pro user

This list is odd... its a little bit of everything yet it leaves off obvious areas as well. Its freeware and shareware which is fine but for instance on ashampoo they make no notice of the free version. Its not a bad list but to be honest if someone asks "hey whats a site with good software" I'm probably going to send them to filehippo(since its basically just good software anyway) or maybe the gizmo site(or any of the other 100 freeware/recommended software sites).

Its not a bad list of stuff its just a little bit of an odd mix and lets be honest, could he have made it any less exciting looking? :lol:

I'm just throwing out suggestions since maybe you know whoever put this up? Basically do something different!

I love this site BECAUSE it is simple, clear, easy to read, easy to understand and NOT exciting or distracting. I don't have to dig around looking for the right link and going from page to page to page and back again. Wouldn't it be great if every site offered us options for different versions, a pop up box that we could choose from. Please Choose a Style: Simple Classic, Aesthetically Beautiful, Exciting, Big and Boxy, Complex, Zingy, more options . . . :)

• Moderators

I didnt say make a all flash site with tons of animations or anything. I'm just saying dont stick up a site with all square buttons thats basically just a graphical database. For instance take a look at file hippo, I would say its every bit as easy to find what you want on there as it is on the above site yet its not nearly as boring/ugly. Same thing for gizmo's site.

http://www.filehippo.com/

http://www.techsupportalert.com/

Its not only how it looks but how the information is presented. I think its actually easier to find what you want and if its been updated on file hippo than it is on the "list of lists". I think gizmo's site makes it easier to compare the programs.

What does this "list of lists" do better than either of those or what does it do uniquely?

Now if you want to criticize for bad over designed lets just talk about download.com's new layout. Yikes. :(