Avast!

CeeCee

How many of you know, that Avast! will run Anti-rootkit scan on Windows startup by default? LOG file is placed in C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\DATA\log. If you want, here's the way to disable rootkit scan on Windows startup: http://support.avast.com/index.php?_m=know...ratingconfirm=1

Another thing you might not know, is that some Avast! LOG files are locked and can't be deleted (not even by using Unlocker program). This is because of the self-defence mode. You have to temporarely disable it to delete LOG files. You can disable it by going avast! Program settings -> Troubleshooting.

Of course, some of you already know these things, but some might not.

How many of you know, that Avast! will run Anti-rootkit scan on Windows startup by default? LOG file is placed in C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\DATA\log. If you want, here's the way to disable rootkit scan on Windows startup: http://support.avast.com/index.php?_m=know...ratingconfirm=1

Another thing you might not know, is that some Avast! LOG files are locked and can't be deleted (not even by using Unlocker program). This is because of the self-defence mode. You have to temporarely disable it to delete LOG files. You can disable it by going avast! Program settings -> Troubleshooting.

I noticed that option about the RootKit scan in Troubleshooting. If it is doing the scan in the Free version then the scan is very quick as my start-up times have not increased that I am aware of.

Yes, it is comforting to see those files even after a CCleaning.

Thanks for the information. It is comforting to know that even Unlocker can't touch those files.

:) davey

If it is doing the scan in the Free version then the scan is very quick as my start-up times have not increased that I am aware of.

I didn't notice any difference. I just noticed this thing from the log file. I have disabled this startup scan for now. Might enable it again later though.

• Moderators

I didn't know about the rootkit scanning on startup, which I think is a very good ideal.

I did however know about the self protection it has as no cleaning tool can touch it. When I last used Avast and was going to update the CCleaner winapp2.ini cleaning routine for it then just left well enough alone because I didn't think it would be a very good ideal to recommend people disabling the protection just to clean a few measly logs that aren't hurting anything.

Um this is what a help file is for. The root kit scan on start up is clearly pointed out in the help file. I knew about it 1 hour after I installed Avast. Never stops amazing me the people that will use a program for years and not know many of it's functions because they didn't bother to read a help file. Since Avast has such a disgusting GUI you really need to read the help file to learn all the features. It's definitely not an intuitive GUI like Avira AntiVir is.

New info about this rootkit boot scan. This is a response to me on Avast! forum:

It isn't run at boot, but 8 minutes after boot to enable any boot activity to complete, allowing a comparison to be made against what is actually running and what is reported as running.

If you found the C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\DATA\log\aswAr.log you will also have found that the scan takes seconds, my last one took 3 seconds (start time at top and finished time at the bottom of the report).

Well, i think i enable it after all...

CeeCee, I am glad that you started this topic.

(removed by davey).

:) davey

P.S. Oops!!! Sorry Hazel,topic related but wrong forum.

Edited by davey

• Moderators
New info about this rootkit boot scan. This is a response to me on Avast! forum:

It isn't run at boot, but 8 minutes after boot to enable any boot activity to complete, allowing a comparison to be made against what is actually running and what is reported as running.

If you found the C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\DATA\log\aswAr.log you will also have found that the scan takes seconds, my last one took 3 seconds (start time at top and finished time at the bottom of the report).

Well, i think i enable it after all...

This is the best bit of info in this already pretty good thread. Nice one CeeCee.