Anyone know a good DVD-Ram drive?

englishmen

• Moderators

I didnt click on your link ;). I wouldnt get one of those actually. Mostly because in about 1-2 years the new HD DVDs and Blu Ray DVDs will be out and those drives will be obsolete. Why not just get a regular dvd or dual layer dvd burner? I've never seen one of those before, Im curious why would you want one? I looked at the advantages and disadvantages and still dont see the point. They cost more and are not compatible with all drives, while the only advantage is it could be rewritten 100,000 times (who needs that?) and it comes with cases.

Those actually remind me of those mini discs that sony made that never took off. I dont know though maybe that technology is more widely used in the UK but here in the US no one ever used it.

• Moderators

DVD-RAM drive comparisons:

http://www.google.com/search?q=dvd-ram+drive+comparisons

I wouldnt get one of those actually. Mostly because in about 1-2 years the new HD DVDs and Blu Ray DVDs will be out and those drives will be obsolete.

I agree about the waiting part. I should have waited before getting a home dvd recorder, hence the 2 hour SP mode and 1 hour XP mode really aren't good enough quality for me since I can see the compression, or is it called compression errors. However, current DVD technology which has already reduced in price will be even less expensive when HD, and Blu Ray are released, some already are I got my buggy JVC home dvd recorder for $299 USD. Also when HD, and Blu Ray are released they are supposed to be backwards compatible, however older devices won't be able to play the new format.

---

Don't get a JVC home dvd recorder they have a weird loading bug and will refuse to erase/format DVD-RW's after they've already been erased/formatted a few times.

You do not need to burn dvd-ram discs they act as ram you just move files from your pc to the disc etc and they come in I believe around 9gb discs. Also anyone know when the HD DVDs & blu ray drives are coming out?

Bavaria if you do not mind me asking but how much did you dvd-ram drive cost?

• Moderators
Also anyone know when the HD DVDs & blu ray drives are coming out?

The same info that rridgely posted, about 1 to 2 years. It's just an estimate.

What I know so far from reading about it is that HD DVD "will" able to have 8 hours of video at "high quality, high definition".

Here's some info (old as of now):

Dual DVD, HD-DVD Disc Developed

Format Battle Brews Over Next-Gen DVD

The same info that rridgely posted, about 1 to 2 years. It's just an estimate.

What I know so far from reading about it is that HD DVD "will" able to have 8 hours of video at "high quality, high definition".

Here's some info (old as of now):

Dual DVD, HD-DVD Disc Developed

Format Battle Brews Over Next-Gen DVD

Thanks for the info Andavari.

Thanks Bavaria the reason I was asking was I found one here which is ?37.65 which I thought was stupidly cheep but as you paid $80 for yours it works out about the same price :D so I think I will get one, cheers everyone for all the help.