What's Wrong with Toolbars?

YoKenny

What's Wrong with Toolbars?

Our good friend Donna who manages Calendar of Updates have been keeping an excellent list of which software installers have been sneaking additional software on to our systems. It?s called the Installers Hall of Shame. The list includes folks who insist on installing not only toolbars from Ask.com, Google and Yahoo but also browsers, video players and more. Click here to see the list. I?ve added it to my Favorites so I check it regularly.

Examples include:

* Cyberlink PowerDVD 8 - Google Toolbar and BETA of Moovielive

* DivX - Yahoo Toolbar

* Shockwave Player - Norton Security Scan or Google Toolbar

* Webroot SpySweeper - Ask Toolbar

* Windows Live Installer - Windows Live Toolbar & Sign-in Assistant

* Winzip - RegistryBooster

I also see that Donna just posted an article specifically about the Ask.com toolbar; Update on Products with Ask Toolbar. It was a timely post considering just last week I heard back from IAC/InterActiveCorp asking if I would re-consider adding the Ask.com toolbar to WinPatrol. I was told that I wouldn?t have to include MyWebSearch or promote other infamous FunWebProducts from IAC. ?We?re not really connected to them? I was told. As I did in the past, I said ?No thanks?.

http://billpstudios.blogspot.com/2008/08/w...h-toolbars.html

"Education is what remains after one has forgotten everything he learned in school." - Albert Einstein

IE7Pro user

• Moderators
I always pay close attention to all the Windows that appear during the install and read everything closely.

I also pay attention to the install screens. Anything I download that I'm not familiar with I assume will have a toolbar shipped with it, and even software I trust I pay close attention to as well as a toolbar could become a part of the installation.

The thing I don't like about some installations that have Yahoo Toolbar is they'll still write a registry key for Yahoo Toolbar that basically states it was offered but declined, I always decline it.

At least some people that make installers that have the third-party add-on toolbars have the courtesy to make the toolbar opt-out/opt-in much more noticeable by making a unique install screen just for the toolbar, versus a single line of text next to a tickbox.

I always pay close attention to all the Windows that appear during the install and read everything closely.

Same here. I never just blindly click Next, Next/OK,OK. And if there's Custom/Advanced options, i take a look at them.

I don't have any installed toolbars.

Same here. I never just blindly click Next, Next/OK,OK. And if there's Custom/Advanced options, i take a look at them.

I don't have any installed toolbars.

I definitely do the same thing. Any program that I download and install I take a look to see what it actually wants to put on my computer. I too currently have no toolbars installed on any of my browsers.

AJ