Norton Anti-Virus - how to uninstall?

kaybee

• Moderators
If you haven't removed it properly, the only way to do so may be to reinstall it, and then to use the correct tool.

I'm sorry to hear about your probs, and hopefully you can get back to where you were following Andavaris advice. Your problem may be caused by the original "part removed" Norton.

I've removed Norton at least 3 times myself with the correct tool following format/reinstalls (Norton is part of my recovery partition), and there weren't any problems, but it was a full, complete install each time, and not a partly removed one. You may have to go down the road of reinstalling Norton to completely get rid of it.

I can't describe how badly I want to see Norton exterminated as a company. They are a disease. Try buying a new machine from one of the major manufacturers without it or McAfee on it. Than you have to go through this BS to remove the crap and than as Dennis said the crap is part of your recovery partition so every time you you start over there it is right back up your ass. It should be illegal for this. Problem is most people don't care they think that Norton is great so they don't complain about it. If enough people complained the major computer manufacturers wouldn't be putting that crap on there.

Boot into Safe Mode, then System Restore to an earlier date.

Hopefully you can do that as sometimes that also means Safe Mode won't work either.

Thank you but, in spite of all your help, it still won't work! I successfully restored it to the restore point I created just before attempting the uninstall, but still didn't manage to get it to boot up any further. :angry:

I totally agree with everyones' opinions on Norton forcing themselves on consumers. What would happen if we went to buy a new car and were told that you can only have it with lime green leather upholstery - that would soon be outlawed!!! :lol:

Once again thanks for all your suggestions - looks like I'll have to get a 'techy' friend of my daughters to look at it, although he too thought that reverting to an earlier SR point should have sorted it. Ah well, here's hoping!

Thank you but, in spite of all your help, it still won't work! I successfully restored it to the restore point I created just before attempting the uninstall, but still didn't manage to get it to boot up any further. :angry:

I totally agree with everyones' opinions on Norton forcing themselves on consumers. What would happen if we went to buy a new car and were told that you can only have it with lime green leather upholstery - that would soon be outlawed!!! :lol:

Once again thanks for all your suggestions - looks like I'll have to get a 'techy' friend of my daughters to look at it, although he too thought that reverting to an earlier SR point should have sorted it. Ah well, here's hoping!

Have you thought of visiting the Norton head office and smashing the machine over an executives head and than shoving the broken pieces up his arse? I think that would fix the problem ;) Oh Waite his head is probably already up his arse so you will have to put the machine up there in one piece to smash it over his head :lol:

Boot into Safe Mode, then System Restore to an earlier date.

Hopefully you can do that as sometimes that also means Safe Mode won't work either.

Final update as I'm now getting really pi**ed off with the damn machine! :angry:

Left in 'post Windows logon screen' mode - (you remember, it's a blank grey screen with the 'arrow' cursor), for 20 minutes and went back to switch it off using Ctrl-Alt-Del to bring the options screen up. The 'shut down' button was showing that it had downloaded some Windows updates and it's now installing them before it switches off. :huh:

Does this make things any:

_

a) Clearer |_|

B) Harder |_|

c) Unsure |_|

d) Couldn't care less |_|

Please tick one box only!

And it's goodnight from me................and goodnight from him!! [Courtesy the Two Ronnies] :lol:

OK they should have been tick boxes but, when posted, it all went out of alignment Grr

Re: Anthony As' post - precisely where is Nortons head office - and does anybody wish to join me in a communal laptop/arse shoving excercise??!!!

Final update as I'm now getting really pi**ed off with the damn machine! :angry:

Re: Anthony As' post - precisely where is Nortons head office - and does anybody wish to join me in a communal laptop/arse shoving excercise??!!!

Thats the spirit. Not enough people feel this way thats why nothing is done about it. I won't just be arse shoving laptops. I will find some of those old main frames that take up rooms and I will shove those to :P

does anybody wish to join me in a communal laptop/arse shoving excercise??!!!
To use a phrase from one of Peter Sellers last movies Being There "I like to watch."

"Education is what remains after one has forgotten everything he learned in school." - Albert Einstein

IE7Pro user

Have you thought of visiting the Norton head office and smashing the machine over an executives head ... :lol:

You gotta back off on that coffee a little, AA. :lol:

Kaybee, sorry you are having trouble.

I actually did visit one of the offices, sort of. I installed norton's free trial on a VM (VM runs WXP pro, sp2.), and got an error, so asked the online chat helper try to fix it. Very nice, helpful person, actually called me on the phone. Got the trial to work, finally. You have to give them remote control of your computer. I WOULDN"T HAVE DONE IT except that I had Returnil active.

I installed and uninstalled 3 times altogether. Took 2, 3 hours. Nothing crashed. Lotsa reg entries left after the uninstall completes.

The attached pictures show a bit about the remote chat assistance Norton uses.

1__3485.png.xs.jpg

8__4655.png.xs.jpg

Not very informative, but it suggests that there may be some other problem not related to the Norton installation.

You might try going back to a restore point earlier than the one you selected for the first try.

Also, did you try DennisD's suggestion to reinstall and then uninstall?

Also, the DeCrapifier just seems to use Nortons Own uninstaller.

The CCleaner SLIM version is always released a bit after any new version; when it is it will be HERE :-)

Pssssst: ... It isn't really a cloud. Its a bunch of big, giant servers.

I don't drink anything with caffeine in it especially coffee. Is there anything more disgusting tasting than coffee? Yuck I can't stand the smell and ever since I took a sip from my mother's cup when I was young I have never touched it. I get a laugh out of seeing all the junkies lined up at the drive through coffee shops for their morning fix :lol:

You won't see me lined up at the drive through coffee shop as I don't have a car.

In fact you won't see me at a coffee shop with their ridiculous prices.

I walk to my local Bargain Shop where I can purchase an instant coffee container for $9.57 that makes about 100 cups or more and 1 liter of 2% milk for $2.09 that lasts me a week.

"Education is what remains after one has forgotten everything he learned in school." - Albert Einstein

IE7Pro user

You won't see me lined up at the drive through coffee shop as I don't have a car.

In fact you won't see me at a coffee shop with their ridiculous prices.

I walk to my local Bargain Shop where I can purchase an instant coffee container for $9.57 that makes about 100 cups or more and 1 liter of 2% milk for $2.09 that lasts me a week.

Being Canadian you know what I mean though. Seems like there is a Tim Hortons on every corner and their drive throughs are packed every morning. Than you see the drivers mindlessly driving with blank stares while they get their fix into them. I have never had a coffee or tea in my life. Never will either. Good thing to because if I had some Caffeine in me I would be at Norton head office by now inserting computers into places they shouldn't be :P

There are 9 Tim Hortons within a 3KM radius of me and the closest one is three locations east of me and the cars, pickups and SUVs that come and go from there is non stop.

Even the 13 cent a liter rise in gasoline has not curtailed the mad dash for the $1.25 medium cup of coffee.

I never have been a fan of anything Norton ( Symantec ) nor McAfee for that matter its just that most brand name system comes pre-packaged with either one installed plus AOL and various trial applications installed and thus the need for PC-Decrapifier and comforting guidance to extricate the un-wanted stuff in a painless and expedient manner.

Let's not discuss the merits nor pitfalls of caffeine consumption and stick with the original topic Norton Anti-Virus - how to uninstall? or let's have a Moderator set up a topic for Caffeine Anonymous meetings.

IE7Pro user

Kaybee, sorry you are having trouble.

I actually did visit one of the offices, sort of. I installed norton's free trial on a VM (VM runs WXP pro, sp2.), and got an error, so asked the online chat helper try to fix it. Very nice, helpful person, actually called me on the phone. Got the trial to work, finally. You have to give them remote control of your computer. I WOULDN"T HAVE DONE IT except that I had Returnil active.

I installed and uninstalled 3 times altogether. Took 2, 3 hours. Nothing crashed. Lotsa reg entries left after the uninstall completes.

The attached pictures show a bit about the remote chat assistance Norton uses.

1__3485.png.xs.jpg

8__4655.png.xs.jpg

Not very informative, but it suggests that there may be some other problem not related to the Norton installation.

You might try going back to a restore point earlier than the one you selected for the first try.

Also, did you try DennisD's suggestion to reinstall and then uninstall?

Also, the DeCrapifier just seems to use Nortons Own uninstaller.

And finally...................

We had to create rescue disks and reinstall the entire operating system, no amount of System Restore, or help from our tecchy friend solved things!!!

At least we, once again, have a clean install!

Thanks once again to everyone for all their help :rolleyes:

And finally...................

We had to create rescue disks and reinstall the entire operating system, no amount of System Restore, or help from our tecchy friend solved things!!!

Glad it worked out for you but what you had to go through is total BS. Norton should die and I mean like yesterday.

Glad it worked out for you but what you had to go through is total BS. Norton should die and I mean like yesterday.
If it could be turned into safe biodegradable compost then I would agree with you but I would be afraid that some lingering droppings would still remain that would leave me with a bad taste in my mouth and heartburn that would take a bottle of Tums to get rid of.

IE7Pro user

...no amount of System Restore, or help from our tecchy friend solved things!!!

Did you ever find out what was causing the problem?

The CCleaner SLIM version is always released a bit after any new version; when it is it will be HERE :-)

Pssssst: ... It isn't really a cloud. Its a bunch of big, giant servers.

I spent the last few days setting up an HP laptop for the G friend. Came with Vista Home Premium which I am not impressed with but thats another story. It came with Norton Internet Security installed. I was fortunate that the uninstall was fairly smooth and painless. I first went to the Norton start menu item and selected uninstall. It finished it's routine and I rebooted. I then ran the Norton Removal Tool to clean up. Rebooted and ran the tool again. Rebooted and Ran CCleaner's reg tool and there were only a couple entries for Norton/Symantec . Installed Avira AntiVir. No problems. I'm sure there are some reg entries left behind but nothing that is causing any problems right now and I don't want to mess with them until I get more familiar with Vista. The one glitch was when I went to download the Norton Removal Tool from Norton's site I couldn't. Some thing about a server error or what ever. I ended up downloading from Magor Geeks.