Where are windows codecs installed?

englishmen

I dont know but instead of going through all this trouble why dont you just use vlc media player. It plays everything.

http://www.videolan.org/vlc/

sorry to disagree with you rridgely, but i have recently found a file it will not play, a file i converted using divX converter. for some reason i think its having trouble distinguishing the subtiltes...but yes, VLC is king of all players.

English...why not just have a few basic codec packs installed, and use VLC for anything WMP won't decode.

sorry to disagree with you rridgely, but i have recently found a file it will not play, a file i converted using divX converter.  for some reason i think its having trouble distinguishing the subtiltes...but yes, VLC is king of all players.

English...why not just have a few basic codec packs installed, and use VLC for anything WMP won't decode.

What I really want is to just have windows media player and then instead of another player or a codec pack just the specific codecs that I require. I like to stick to a rule not to have no more then 1 app for a specific task i.e. 2 media players 2 browsers etc. Before I started sticking to that rule my pc had tons of apps all of which done more or less the same thing.

• Moderators
What I really want is to just have windows media player and then instead of another player or a codec pack just the specific codecs that I require. I like to stick to a rule not to have no more then 1 app for a specific task i.e. 2 media players 2 browsers etc. Before I started sticking to that rule my pc had tons of apps all of which done more or less the same thing.

Makes perfect sense, since many apps will try to steal file associations without warning, or the occassional click-it without really paying attention to what the dialog reads can be an annoying occassional application induced user error.

VLC is great.

I like Windows Media Player 6.4 but it doesnt play everything.

I tried VLC and so far it played everything, works great.

firefoxblue4yw.gif

button_b.png hydrogen2nr.png

80x15_3.png