comments on newest defraggler

mikesw

I've installed the latest-n-greatest defraggler on my win xp pro sp3 system.

Here are some comments.

1). The slowness of defragging is most likely due to defraggler trying to do

a "defrag and optimize" whereby it tries to compact files as tight as they will

go so that there is very little empty space between the files. Whereas when

I defrag the files from the "file list" it is very fast since it is only defragging

a known list of fragmented files and doesn't try to optimize the disk space usage.

Moreover, optimizing the files may look good, but it doesn't take very long

to start fragmenting the file system again since for the few data block that are

available/scattered within the defragged filesystem, any file stored will

put chunks of the file all over the disk and amongst the available data blocks.

Suggestions:

a). Give me a radio checkbox option for "defrag files" and another for "defrag

and optimize". This will will allow me to defrag my files for maximum speed and then

I can select the "defrag and optimize" occasionally when I have more time.

b ). Give me an option to defrag multiple drives at the same time on a single or multiple

core CPU. This will speed up my defragging. along with defragging FAT16/FAT32

filesystems besides NTFS ones on the Win95 thru Vista.

c). Give me an option to select which drives to defrag and at what time. This will use the

windows scheduler without me having to do it outside of defraggler.

d). Give me an option to run defraggler out of systray that utilizes a user setting as to

when to stop defragging based on cpu loading. This setting is a cpu load percentage so

that when it excedes it, it will pause defragging and start again when below this setting.

Thus the disk will be defragged in the background when the cpu is idle so the user

doesn't have to manually initiate it. An alternative is to defrag the disk whereby the

program is a service and a client interacts with the service to tell it what to do.

See dirms from dirms.com as an example. See IOBIT.com for the iobit defragger

as an example of cpu loading and systray defragging.

e). Give me an option to exclude files and certain files that excede a user specified file

size by using a sliding bar setting.

f). Give me an option to defrag on bootup vs. when I'm logged in and manually start

defragging. Note: The auto defrag based on cpu loading would be available too.

g). Give me an option to defrag removable drives such as USB and Zip drives and

recognize that the disk or flash disk is inserted or not.

h). Give me a user option to defrag and group files together based on their last access

time vs. current time. Note: Since most OS/program files are updated infrequently,

they will have very old access dates and once defragged they will be grouped together

on the disk thus require very little moving around on the disk. The same can be said

for file types such as dll, exe, com, inf, and other file types which change very little

vs. others such as .doc, xls, txt, tmp etc. ;thus, defrag based on file type grouping.

i). Give me the ability to defrag huge files (That is multi-gigabyte files of 20Gigs plus since they are

disk images) when the amount of free space on the disk drive they reside on is very small i.e. less

than five gigs. The defragging of the file can be done over time (multiple defrag runs) so that

over time the file is defragged. Perhaps defrag the file in-place. Currently I have this problem

whereby all defragging software quits saying there is not enough free space. My drive is 40 gigs

with a 25gig file and another of 10 gigs leaving 5 gigs free. Some defraggers work with at

least 1 percent of the disk drive available, but they don't specify the maximum filesize that

can be defragged under these circumstances. An option to do this is to use RAM Disk to

read in part of the file being defragged, defrag this portion and rewrite the defragged copy

to disk and then read the next data block in and repeat til the file is fully defragged.