Windows Protection Error

beatrick

I am trying to upgrade my RAM to 1GB+. However when I try to do so I get a Windows cannot load because of a protection error. I have a ABIT KR7A motherboard I know it can have up to 4GB loaded on it. What could possibly be the issue?

Gotcha. I knew it had to be either one of them. Was more certain it was 98, but not surprised that it's ME. That's pretty crazy that you want to do that. Windows Me barely takes advantage of 512 MB, let alone 1GB+. At any rate, you either need to upgrade to Windows XP, or don't put in more than a gig of memory.

Try this:

Start, Run, SYSTEM.INI

find the [386enh] section

add this line under [386enh] :

MaxPhysPage=40000

This limits the amount of physical RAM that Windows can access to 1 GB (4096[decimal] X MaxPhysPage[hex] = memory available to Windows)

Windows Me can't access any more than 1024 MB.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/181862/EN-US/ for notes on MaxPhysPage.

Sorry, but you're going to have to use this to actually *limit* the amount of memory that gets used [even though you want more]. But don't worry, you're really just wasting your time anyway because you'll never make Windows Me *use* that much RAM ;)

Click here if CCleaner Issues are re-appearing

DjLizard.net

DjLizard.net wiki

Dial-a-fix

Dial-a-fix tips

DjLizard.net software support forum

Do you live in Bradenton, Sarasota, Tampa, or St. Petersburg, Florida? Visit Digital Doctors where I work :)

Gotcha.  I knew it had to be either one of them.  Was more certain it was 98, but not surprised that it's ME.  That's pretty crazy that you want to do that. Windows Me barely takes advantage of 512 MB, let alone 1GB+.  At any rate, you either need to upgrade to Windows XP, or don't put in more than a gig of memory.

Try this:

Start, Run, SYSTEM.INI

find the [386enh] section

add this line under [386enh] :

MaxPhysPage=40000

This limits the amount of physical RAM that Windows can access to 1 GB (4096[decimal] X MaxPhysPage[hex] = memory available to Windows)

Windows Me can't access any more than 1024 MB.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/181862/EN-US/ for notes on MaxPhysPage. 

Sorry, but you're going to have to use this to actually *limit* the amount of memory that gets used [even though you want more].  But don't worry, you're really just wasting your time anyway because you'll never make Windows Me *use* that much RAM ;)

Hey thanks. I appreciate the your time on this information. I am going to upgrade to XP. It's already on order. Again thanks a lot.

Windows 9x/ME has a bad memory management handling.

If you plan to have 1 gigabyte RAM then upgrade to a OS (Operating System) that can handle that amount of RAM.

You probably dont need 1 gb RAM. 512 mb should be enough for most people.

firefoxblue4yw.gif

button_b.png hydrogen2nr.png

80x15_3.png

GRR.

This was already said, you thread necromancer. You're all about increasing your post count, aren't you.

Click here if CCleaner Issues are re-appearing

DjLizard.net

DjLizard.net wiki

Dial-a-fix

Dial-a-fix tips

DjLizard.net software support forum

Do you live in Bradenton, Sarasota, Tampa, or St. Petersburg, Florida? Visit Digital Doctors where I work :)