Hosts file question

TeeJay3800

I've been using HostsMan to manage and update my MVPS hosts file for years, but I'm wondering if it is advantageous to use more than one hosts file at once. HostsMan also has built-in support for hpHosts, Mike's Ad Blocking Hosts, and Peter Lowe's AdServers List. I know that some of the other hosts files block many more sites than MVPS, but I thought I heard somewhere that an excessively large hosts file can slow the computer down or is detrimental in some other way. Also, the instructions on MVPS.org say to use the "overwrite" option when updating the hosts file, but that wouldn't be possible with another hosts file without erasing the other file and only leaving the MVPS version. Is it best to ignore the overwrite option and just use multiple hosts files? Or should I just stick with MVPS?

Dell Latitude D600

Windows 7 Ultimate 32-bit SP1

follow_me-c.png

• Moderators
I thought I heard somewhere that an excessively large hosts file can slow the computer down or is detrimental in some other way.

This is what a document I have states from MVPS about a large HOSTS file (and it's true):

[important Notice - 2K/XP Users]

In most cases a large HOSTS file (over 135 kb) tends to slow down the machine. This only occurs

in Windows 2000 and Windows XP. Windows 98 and Windows ME are not affected.

To resolve this issue (manually) open the "Services Editor"

Start | Run (type) "services.msc" (no quotes)

Scroll down to "DNS Client", Right-click and select: Properties

Click the drop-down arrow for "Startup type"

Select: Manual, click Apply/Ok and restart.

Also, the instructions on MVPS.org say to use the "overwrite" option when updating the hosts file, but that wouldn't be possible with another hosts file without erasing the other file and only leaving the MVPS version. Is it best to ignore the overwrite option and just use multiple hosts files? Or should I just stick with MVPS?

Overwrite is only fine if you only use the MVPS HOSTS File.

I use my homemade batch file to combine my own user made HOSTS file which took years to compile with the MVPS HOSTS File. Then I use another batch file to install it, and make a backup copy in the HOSTS installed location.

I store my HOSTS files on another disk and don't directly edit them from the Windows folder - far safer that way and I don't ever have to worry about a HOSTS hijacker. Some ad server years ago would empty it so their ad's wouldn't be blocked (that happened to me once years ago).

HostsMan will offer to disable the DNS Client service as it is recommended to do so.

HostsServer proxy will speed up surfing because the requests to the entries in the HOSTS file will go to localhost which is the local system and therefore resolve faster.

t1398_referrer.png

HostsServer proxy can be set up to log the referrer to show what entry caused the site to be blocked.

t1399_referer.png

HOSTS files I use:

http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm

http://hosts-file.net/?s=Download

My $0.02's worth.

"Education is what remains after one has forgotten everything he learned in school." - Albert Einstein

IE7Pro user

all confused now with Hosts.MVPS , Hostman, and IE7 Pro which ones are to be used or are all used in tandem for ad-blocking ( do I merge entries ? )

Does one require hostman to be running while surfing the net ? or can I just get updates and exit ?

Is there a way I can get hostman to start when Ie7 and hence IE7 pro starts?

IE7 pros' adblocker features show css style, frame, image etc how do I manage those for different sites ?

• Moderators

I don't use HostsMan, but all it's doing is downloading and saving HOSTS files, so I would highly doubt it would have to be running at all times.

Don't get a HOSTS file confused with browser addon ad blocking software like AdBlock Plus in Firefox and IE7Pro in IE.

I do however know to remove all possible ad's you need to use a HOSTS file and an ad blocker in your web browsers, simply because ad blocker software in your web browsers can operate via wild cards and expressions whereas a HOSTS file must know the exact address to block, hence I use both.

Edit:

HOSTS file also can't be used to block an IP address, whereas ad blocking software can.

This is what a document I have states from MVPS about a large HOSTS file (and it's true):

Overwrite is only fine if you only use the MVPS HOSTS File.

I use my homemade batch file to combine my own user made HOSTS file which took years to compile with the MVPS HOSTS File. Then I use another batch file to install it, and make a backup copy in the HOSTS installed location.

I store my HOSTS files on another disk and don't directly edit them from the Windows folder - far safer that way and I don't ever have to worry about a HOSTS hijacker. Some ad server years ago would empty it so their ad's wouldn't be blocked (that happened to me once years ago).

you couldn't run me thru this process could you Andavari, could all this be done using what NOtepad?? sounds like the best option, need to be guided thru it or pointed in the right direction and I'll manage from there on ( would really appreciate help with merging the two and installing them in the system32/ETC/Hosts ... many thanks

• Moderators
you couldn't run me thru this process could you Andavari, could all this be done using what NOtepad?? sounds like the best option, need to be guided thru it or pointed in the right direction and I'll manage from there on ( would really appreciate help with merging the two and installing them in the system32/ETC/Hosts ... many thanks

To be honest using Notepad in my opinion isn't the best choice, plus it wouldn't work once you pass the filesize limit of Notepad.

I was going to explain how to make the batch files, then I decided it was easier to just make them for you and anyone else that finds them useful. They should work with Windows XP, and Vista. Note that I don't know the hoops Vista will put someone through to use them, however it works flawlessly on my system using Windows XP.

Download HOSTS Tool:

To be honest using Notepad in my opinion isn't the best choice, plus it wouldn't work once you pass the filesize limit of Notepad.

I was going to explain how to make the batch files, then I decided it was easier to just make them for you and anyone else that finds them useful. They should work with Windows XP, and Vista. Note that I don't know the hoops Vista will put someone through to use them, however it works flawlessly on my system using Windows XP.

Download HOSTS Tool:

Great! thats very good of you;well done :)

Would like to learn the basics though or sites that would explain the nitty-gritty of the same; which would definitely help all those interested in doing the same and building more automated (simply done ) environments :) and there'd be heaps more everybody could share - For when you find a moment ( No rush mate ! ;) )

Would like to learn the basics though or sites that would explain the nitty-gritty of the same;

Google to the rescue:

What is the Hosts file? <== where I learned about it

Blocking Unwanted Parasites with a Hosts File

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hosts_file

"Education is what remains after one has forgotten everything he learned in school." - Albert Einstein

IE7Pro user