CCleaner is great.. but..

Darkknight

I have used CCleaner before, but now I have a new pc and I just want to know from the horses mouth how reliable & secure is it?

I mean, having CCleaner on my new pc, will it corrupt anything else?

Also when you delete the history, is it all securely deleted off your computer? or is it sitting somewhere as a dat file, or laying dormunt still using up space.

Also, why is it free? :o

• Moderators

Hi Darkknight, and welcome to the forum. Your not the........... no, you can't be.

You should be perfectly fine with CCleaner and your new pc. Just play it safe until you've ran them both together for a while.

In other words, leave the advanced section unchecked, and if you run the registry Issues feature, make sure you follow the CCleaner dialogue and make a backup before running it.

Better still, have a look at Erunt, and make regular backups of the entire registry as well as the CCleaner ones.

CCleaner is very reliable and secure, but does have features that need some knowledge and experience before using.

Take a look at the CCleaner guide.

http://forum.piriform.com/index.php?showtopic=1504#

History is deleted as securely as you need it to be, and will be overwriten by other files.

Hope this helps, and I look nothing like a horse.

:)

Edit: It's free because the developers want it available to everyone I assume.

You have really helped, thank you.

Ahh so it overites the old files. Just a friend of mine that uses both CCleaner and Recuva, reckons you can recover your old history by using Recuva. Which essentially must mean it lays dormant on your system and has not properly been deleted.

You have really helped, thank you.

Ahh so it overites the old files. Just a friend of mine that uses both CCleaner and Recuva, reckons you can recover your old history by using Recuva. Which essentially must mean it lays dormant on your system and has not properly been deleted.

Hello Darkknight,

I think you are little confused by the terms "deleted" and "secure deleted".

"Deletion" has to do with the removal of file pointers to the data.

The disk space where deleted data exists is made available for other data to be recorded. It can be used quickly or never used again. The original data will still be there until overwritten.

"Secure deletion" has to with the physical overwriting of the data. This way the original data can not be recovered by other means.

CCleaner will only overwrite what it deletes. You must select the option to overwrite the data.

One overwrite is sufficient to make the data unusable.

Good luck,

:) davey

• Moderators

You can run CC as often as you wish. I guess most people run CC depending on their pc activity, whether they are epic surfers or download addicts, etc. I am a modest user and run CC about twice a week, clearing out around 20 to 30 mb a time. Small beer, really.

I'm not sure what safe mode 32 steps means. Secure overwrite? Once will do, and saves so much time.

PS Posting in colour is so not done, dude.

How do you secure delete then so files are ovewritten?

Could you give me some steps pls?

Hey Darkknight,

Below you will the find the link to CCleaner Guide. Look under the Options topic for further info.

Start CCleanner. Then Options > Settings there you will see the options to set for overwriting. One overwrite is sufficient. Any more is a waste of time and wear and tear on your HDD.

Most stuff is overwritten as you use your PC anyhow.

I have only used overwrite for some banking info.

Good luck,

:) davey

http://www.ccleanerbeginnersguide.com/

CCleaner Beginner's Guide.com Bookmark and save to Favorites

Beginners advice

Start here with this link and follow its advice.

http://forum.piriform.com/index.php?s=&amp...st&p=105208

Also see this link about the Registry and newbies.

http://forum.piriform.com/index.php?s=&amp...ost&p=96510

Come back and let us know how you did and what else we can help you with. There are lots of easy things to learn. One step at time.