Google Earth

writeaway

I have finally moved from dial-up to DSL. I've always wanted to use Google Earth and NOW I can. However, when I was reading their EULA, I came across some confusing (to me) things and decided to check it out with you guys before I jump in and download something that may cause me grief.

1. What is Google Pack?

2. Why all the references to third party software, my biggest concern here is (Ahhhhhhhh!) Symantec Norton Security Scan software. This is (part of) what it says:

"In the event that Norton Security Scan is removed from the Google Pack, Symantec may, at any point in time following six (6) months after such removal, at its discretion with or without notice to You, discontinue providing Content Updates and/or may terminate the Norton Security Scan software. Symantec may add, modify or remove features of the Norton Security Scan software at any time with or without notice to You."

Do any of you use Google Earth? Do you have any problems with it? Do you know what they are talking about?

Thanks.

HP Pavilion - Pentium® 4CPU

160GB HDD 512 MB RAM

Windows XP SP2 Home

I have finally moved from dial-up to DSL. I've always wanted to use Google Earth and NOW I can. However, when I was reading their EULA, I came across some confusing (to me) things and decided to check it out with you guys before I jump in and download something that may cause me grief.

1. What is Google Pack?

2. Why all the references to third party software, my biggest concern here is (Ahhhhhhhh!) Symantec Norton Security Scan software. This is (part of) what it says:

"In the event that Norton Security Scan is removed from the Google Pack, Symantec may, at any point in time following six (6) months after such removal, at its discretion with or without notice to You, discontinue providing Content Updates and/or may terminate the Norton Security Scan software. Symantec may add, modify or remove features of the Norton Security Scan software at any time with or without notice to You."

Do any of you use Google Earth? Do you have any problems with it? Do you know what they are talking about?

Thanks.

HP Pavilion - Pentium? 4CPU

160GB HDD 512 MB RAM

Windows XP SP2 Home

I used to use Google Earth ages ago but its novelty wore off real quick.

If I want to find a place I use Mapquest.

The reference to Symantec is only if you want the Norton Security Scan but me being a devout Norton abstainer I will quickly close all browser windows then run CCleaner then reboot.

"Education is what remains after one has forgotten everything he learned in school." - Albert Einstein

IE7Pro user

I used to use Google Earth ages ago but its novelty wore off real quick.

If I want to find a place I use Mapquest.

The reference to Symantec is only if you want the Norton Security Scan but me being a devout Norton abstainer I will quickly close all browser windows then run CCleaner then reboot.

Thanks, YoKenny, for answering but I still have (unanswered) questions and I don't need to FIND a place, I want to SEE places.

Are you saying I can download Google Earth but still avoid getting the Norton Security Scan along with it? Or, are you saying it comes as part of the package but I would be able to get rid of it by using CCleaner?

Can you tell me what the Google Pack is?

Is there anything else out there similar to Google Earth that might serve as well?

Thanks again.

Are you saying I can download Google Earth but still avoid getting the Norton Security Scan along with it?
I just downloaded Google Earth 4.2 and Norton Security Scan did not come with it.

I zoomed down to my apartment and the picture is about 3 years old.

Can you tell me what the Google Pack is?

It includes:

• OK Google Earth Zoom from space to street level ? tour the world Find maps, driving directions, hotels, restaurants, and more

• Not OK Norton Security Scan Detects and eliminates viruses and internet worms Free detection updates and scheduled scanning

• Not OK Google Desktop Find all your email, files, web history, and more Get all your personalized info in one place with Sidebar

• I don't like this Mozilla Firefox with Google Toolbar Browse the web quickly and securely Switch between pages quickly with tabbed browsing

• Not OK Adobe Reader View, print, and search PDF files via a redesigned interface Secure your documents and collaborate via online, real-time meetings

• Not OK RealPlayer Play popular media formats, organize music and videos Transfer music to iPod and other portable media players

• OK Google Toolbar for Internet Explorer Search from any web page and autofill forms Block annoying pop-ups

• I don't use this Spyware Doctor Starter Edition Detects and removes spyware, adware, trojans and keyloggers Includes Smart Updates and scheduling to protect your PC

• I don't use this Picasa Find, edit, and share your photos in seconds Easily remove red eye and fix photos

• I don't use this Google Photos Screensaver Display photos from your PC and photo sharing sites Watch cinematic slideshows

• I don't use this Skype Make free voice and video calls to anyone else on Skype Call landlines and mobile phones at pretty low rates

• I don't use this StarOffice (broadband recommended) Word processing, spreadsheet, presentation, and more Includes Java? Runtime Environment

You could always try Flash Earth. Nothing to install.
Its cloudy over where I live and it does not go down to street level.

Mapquest shows the streets with their names and that's what I am interested in:

http://www.mapquest.com/maps?city=Oshawa&state=ON

You can invoke Google Earth but the pictures are at least 3 years old:

http://www.mapquest.com/maps?city=Oshawa&a...0:::::f:EN:M:/e

"Education is what remains after one has forgotten everything he learned in school." - Albert Einstein

IE7Pro user

Yo! Kenny! http://forum.piriform.com/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif

Now that is a detailed and complete and perfectly satisfying answer! I knew you'd come through for me. We seem to agree on what is OK and not OK too (pretty much). Thank you VERY much. You not only answered my questions, you made me smile.

Sorry about your clouds. Where I live, it is sunny and pleasant but that is because the smoke has finally cleared after wild fires burned for over a month and nearly destroyed our little town. We had to ask the Canadians for help. So - thanks for helping to save my house.

Dennis,

Thanks for the information. I'm going to try Flash Earth before hazarding Google Earth. I badly want to see the UK and Ireland. This is about the only way I ever will. http://forum.piriform.com/style_emoticons/default/sad.gif

I've never looked at Google Earth, so I don't know how close street level is with it, but in Flash Earth, this is where I park my car to get to the beach.

Pretty good considering there's nothing to install.

http://www.flashearth.com/?lat=54.850334&a...355&src=msa

Click the screen and it becomes live.

Dennis, this is the same scene from Google Earth:

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c26/midn...GoogleEarth.jpg

I'm not sure which is the more up to date picture...

(by the way, I located that scene by using the longitude and latitude readings! I haven't a clue where it is otherwise, apart from I guess it's the north east...)

I've never looked at Google Earth, so I don't know how close street level is with it, but in Flash Earth, this is where I park my car to get to the beach.

Pretty good considering there's nothing to install.

http://www.flashearth.com/?lat=54.850334&a...355&src=msa

Click the screen and it becomes live.

It leads to the same 3 year old Google Earth picture of my area.

http://www.flashearth.com/?lat=43.90111&am...355&src=msa

Edit: I can't figure out how to get the correct longitude and latitude settings to post to produce the right picture?

Longitude 43.90111 latitude -78.853316

Edited by YoKenny

IE7Pro user

• Moderators
You park in a Picasso? :lol:

That car park is a bit artistic from the air. The designer must have been on something when he did that.

Dennis, this is the same scene from Google Earth:

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c26/midn...GoogleEarth.jpg

I'm not sure which is the more up to date picture...

(by the way, I located that scene by using the longitude and latitude readings! I haven't a clue where it is otherwise, apart from I guess it's the north east...)

The beach at Seaham Robbie, about 12 miles down from South Shields. Thanks for the Google Earth pic, I think Flash Earth isn't too bad in comparison.

It leads to the same 3 year old Google Earth picture of my area.

http://www.flashearth.com/?lat=43.90111&am...355&src=msa

Edit: I can't figure out how to get the correct longitude and latitude settings to post to produce the right picture?

Longitude 43.90111 latitude -78.853316

Not sure what you mean Ken, but you can input a place name in the left menu search, find the place you want, and then click "permanent link" for the exact coordinates in the address bar.

Assuming that's what you meant.

The beach at Seaham Robbie, about 12 miles down from South Shields.
I remember when I was a kid growing up in Durham we didn't have a car so our neighborhood would organize a day bus to "Go to the seaside" and South Shields was popular along with Scarborough.

Not sure what you mean Ken, but you can input a place name in the left menu search, find the place you want, and then click "permanent link" for the exact coordinates in the address bar.
I'm just learning how to use Flash Earth.

It is amazing that I can zoom down and see my apartment as it was about 4 years ago before I moved in here.

It shows the two enormous factory chimneys just north of of my apartment that where part of a now totally removed Generous Motors parts plant that I watched being demolished over the Summer I moved out here.

The two chimneys where demolished in a huge cloud of dust by a Caterpillar mounted jackhammer that was entirely dwarfed by the very tall chimneys. They fell as though it was a slow motion movie.

IE7Pro user

Google Earth can be downloaded by itself, without having to dl Google Pack. I personally don't like Google Pack because parts of it were things I didn't need, parts were things I already had, and Google Desktop slowed my pc down too much.

When you download Google Earth, it does tell you in the agreement that it uses the Google Updater, and lets you know that the updater is also included in Google Pack.

TERMS & CONDITIONS

Welcome to Google! This software will be installed using the Google Updater, which is included in the Google Pack.

When I recently downloaded the updated version of Google Earth, it installed Google Earth and the updater and nothing else.

Google Earth's homepage

http://earth.google.com/

As far as I know, you can also pick and choose which applications of Google Pack you want to download and install, if you elect to download google pack.