Help! Accidentally deleted startup items from registry

holachristina

I am a new user of CCleaner, and accidentally deleted some startup items from the registry...without making a backup copy (yeah mistake, i know..). Is the damage irretrievable?

Now when i switch on my pc (windows XP), i just get a totally blank screen (my screen background/wallpaper is still there..but there are no desptop items and not blue bar on the bottom of the page where you can click the "start" button). The only way to access programmes/go on the internet is to hit ctrl-alt-delete, which activates the windows task manager, and from there i try to run programmes.

Am i able to go back to the normal screen? If not, is there any way to download the startup items again?

Thanks.

I am a new user of CCleaner, and accidentally deleted some startup items from the registry...without making a backup copy (yeah mistake, i know..). Is the damage irretrievable?

Now when i switch on my pc (windows XP), i just get a totally blank screen (my screen background/wallpaper is still there..but there are no desptop items and not blue bar on the bottom of the page where you can click the "start" button). The only way to access programmes/go on the internet is to hit ctrl-alt-delete, which activates the windows task manager, and from there i try to run programmes.

Am i able to go back to the normal screen? If not, is there any way to download the startup items again?

Thanks.

Just do a system restore to few day back and get yourself back in business

Yeah i figured out how to get to the system restore page..and i've tried it but it only allows me to go back one day, which is not enough...i need to go back by two or more days, and i cannot navigate to a previous month to select an earlier date either..

:blink: ..what now??

Please review the following site.

How to access Last Known Good Configuration:

http://www.webtree.ca/windowsxp/repair_xp.htm

"Education is what remains after one has forgotten everything he learned in school." - Albert Einstein

IE7Pro user

Please review the following site.

How to access Last Known Good Configuration:

http://www.webtree.ca/windowsxp/repair_xp.htm

Thanks for your suggestion. Unfortunately, the system recognizes this configuaration as ok and not malfunctioned (since technically the programmes can still be run etc), so going to last known good configuration does not change anything...

Hi holachristina, did you try to access system restore from safe mode.

This may help you get to a previous month to select an earlier date.

The system restore utility can be accessed in safe mode and used to restore any previous restore point. Simply restart XP in safe mode and go to 'start\all programs \ accessories \ system tools \ system restore' then follow the instructions to restore your system to the point of your choice.

Note that you cannot create restore points in safe mode, only load them.

When you get your computer up and running, I recommend Erunt to backup your registry.

http://www.larshederer.homepage.t-online.de/erunt/

Hi holachristina, did you try to access system restore from safe mode.

This may help you get to a previous month to select an earlier date.

The system restore utility can be accessed in safe mode and used to restore any previous restore point. Simply restart XP in safe mode and go to 'start\all programs \ accessories \ system tools \ system restore' then follow the instructions to restore your system to the point of your choice.

Note that you cannot create restore points in safe mode, only load them.

When you get your computer up and running, I recommend Erunt to backup your registry.

http://www.larshederer.homepage.t-online.de/erunt/

I tried that and i still cannot go back to the previous month...maybe when using CCleaner i could have even deleted the previous restore points? And i lost my recovery cd too...this is looking pretty bad..sigh :(