Inline as you type spell checker for Opera,IE7, and FF

Anthony A

I recently found this bookmarklet that checks spelling as you type in FF, Opera, and IE7. Just click the bookmarklet and and start typing in the text field and it checks your spelling. It high lights mistakes in yellow and when you click the high lighted mistake a drop menu appears with the corrections. Just another alternative for a spell checker and does not need to be installed.

http://www.spellingcow.com/favelet.html

• Moderators

I was hopeful there. Not working with rich text, and with rich text off, the yellow highlights are appearing nowhere near the wrongly typed words. It's probably Opera the problem here, as I still get glitches in this messenger.

Damn, but thanks for the link, I'll keep it and maybe in the next version of Opera that actually works 100% for me, it'll work better.

It's pretty neat all the same.

I was hopeful there. Not working with rich text, and with rich text off, the yellow highlights are appearing nowhere near the wrongly typed words. It's probably Opera the problem here, as I still get glitches in this messenger.

Damn, but thanks for the link, I'll keep it and maybe in the next version of Opera that actually works 100% for me, it'll work better.

It's pretty neat all the same.

You aren't using it right. It works fine for me here with Opera. You need to click the bookmarklet first than start typing in the text field. It works fine that way for me. If you type first than click the bookmarklet it messes up like you said.

How does it work for you with FF and IE7?

Where are you clicking the bookmarklet from? I just tried it from the main menu and it works perfectly. The key point is to click the bookmarklet first than type.

t1304_20080731104918.jpg

• Moderators

I'm doing that Anthony, I click the bookmark and I get the little cow and the check spelling box, and it doesn't work for me.

Did you notice I said I still get glitches in this messenger with Opera. That's the problem.

Don't need to try it in FF, as I don't need it there. FF even checks rich text.

I'm doing that Anthony, I click the bookmark and I get the little cow and the check spelling box, and it doesn't work for me.

Did you notice I said I still get glitches in this messenger with Opera. That's the problem.

Don't need to try it in FF, as I don't need it there. FF even checks rich text.

Thats too bad because it works great here for me on all 3 browsers. You can't seem to catch a break.

• Moderators

I've tried the last few versions of Opera, and each of them is twice as bad as the V 9.27 I'm using. But it's so nice to use, the glitches are worth putting up with.

Just watch my posts for spelling errors. :D

You could try this Dennis.

Or this...

I'm using the GNU Aspell program right now, and it works perfectly. You do have to right click a word that you think is spelled wrong and click Check Spelling though. ;)

I have both those and they work great. I just mention Spelling Cow as another alternative. Spelling Cow also checks your spelling as you type the other two do not.

• Moderators

Thanks for the links Ice, I'll give anything a try, but I think it's gonna be a while before anybody does a Rich Text compatible spell checker for Opera.

Firefox's Rich Text Spell checker isn't even 100%, as you have to keep selecting "spell check this field".

It's a gud job I can spel.

I'll try Spelling Cow and see what happens. ;)

Make sure to use it right. Activate the bookmarklet than type your text. This will check spelling as you type and Spelling Cow will work properly. Don't start typing than activate the bookmarklet because it messes up that way.

• Moderators
Make sure to use it right. Activate the bookmarklet than type your text. This will check spelling as you type and Spelling Cow Will work properly. Don't start typing than activate the bookmarklet because it messes up that way.

I've switched rich text off, and i hav no litul boxus where im makin rong spelins, and the litl cow was swcht on befor i started tie pin.

Now sea wot youv dun. mi boks has ternd bloo. Sea thu screan shot.

t287_litulcow.jpg

Now do yu beleev me it dusnt werk?

• Moderators

I've just read your post Ice, I'll give it a whirl as soon as I can. Thanks.

Edit: I've just checked it out, and it's a full text editing program, I don't think it's the sort of thing I could use to spell check Opera in this messenger.

But thanks for the link. As I say, I'll give any suggestion a try.

There's obviously something on my pc conflicting in a minor way with Opera, and I'm just thinking ahead here that installing SP3 might change something.

Yep, a long shot, but you never know. ;)

I know you don't need Spelling Cow in FF or IE but I am curious if it works with them for you.