New Update 210 Slim

AliceZ

Edit: How can 'HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\VB and VBA Program Settings' be an OBSOLETE software key? Many programs stores settings there, including CCleaner.

I was OK with that one being there, actually. It even showed up under JV16 PowerTools when JV16 PowerTools was run in it's most aggressive mode. And, as stated, it was an empty registry tree.

The others were the ones I wanted to check out in more detail.

ANDAVARI: I notice that you said in one post that you found 33 exceptions and deleted them all. Were those 33 found after the Registry Scan (with the new 210 Cleaner)?

And then in your last post you included about 100 files. Were they also found after the Registry Scan (with the new 210 Cleaner)?

I think there's 33 entries, but the backup file is showing sub-keys too.

Noticed that all those new "invalid" entries are from HKCR/Interface path. To be honest, i think there's something weird now.

I did some random search of those entries from Andavari's backup file and i don't have those entries on my registry. I think they are related to either SP3 or/and Vista. Do you have SP3 or Vista, Andavari? I have XP SP2.

Edit: Ok, here's an example from Andavari's backup file:

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Interface\{01110A02-3E00-11D2-8470-0060089874ED}]@="ISdcCtlCmd"[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Interface\{01110A02-3E00-11D2-8470-0060089874ED}\ProxyStubClsid]@="{00020424-0000-0000-C000-000000000046}"[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Interface\{01110A02-3E00-11D2-8470-0060089874ED}\ProxyStubClsid32]@="{00020424-0000-0000-C000-000000000046}"[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Interface\{01110A02-3E00-11D2-8470-0060089874ED}\TypeLib]@="{01110A01-3E00-11D2-8470-0060089874ED}""Version"="1.0"

It's showing the main key ({01110A02-3E00-11D2-8470-0060089874ED}) and the sub-keys; ProxyStubClsid, ProxyStubClsid32 and TypeLib.

I don't have any idea, why it's classified as invalid key. Basicly the first key is found as invalid and the sub-keys are removed along with it. So in this case, i think there's no reference to key {01110A02-3E00-11D2-8470-0060089874ED} or to value "ISdcCtlCmd" anywhere in the registry/system. But anyway, it's a bit strange, that it's found as invalid, because it does include sub-keys and values.

I think there's 33 entries, but the backup file is showing sub-keys too.

Noticed that all those new "invalid" entries are from HKCR/Interface path. To be honest, i think there's something weird now.

I did some random search of those entries from Andavari's backup file and i don't have those entries on my registry. I think they are related to either SP3 or/and Vista. Do you have SP3 or Vista, Andavari? I have XP SP2.

Edit: Ok, here's an example from Andavari's backup file:

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Interface\{01110A02-3E00-11D2-8470-0060089874ED}]@="ISdcCtlCmd"[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Interface\{01110A02-3E00-11D2-8470-0060089874ED}\ProxyStubClsid]@="{00020424-0000-0000-C000-000000000046}"[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Interface\{01110A02-3E00-11D2-8470-0060089874ED}\ProxyStubClsid32]@="{00020424-0000-0000-C000-000000000046}"[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Interface\{01110A02-3E00-11D2-8470-0060089874ED}\TypeLib]@="{01110A01-3E00-11D2-8470-0060089874ED}""Version"="1.0"

It's showing the main key ({01110A02-3E00-11D2-8470-0060089874ED}) and the sub-keys; ProxyStubClsid, ProxyStubClsid32 and TypeLib.

I don't have any idea, why it's classified as invalid key. Basicly the first key is found as invalid and the sub-keys are removed along with it. So in this case, i think there's no reference to key {01110A02-3E00-11D2-8470-0060089874ED} or to value "ISdcCtlCmd" anywhere in the registry/system. But anyway, it's a bit strange, that it's found as invalid, because it does include sub-keys and values.

The 21 items I found after the Registry Scan with the NEW CCleaner 210, were found AFTER I installed SP3 on my WinXP desktop AND notebook. The same 21 exceptions found after the Registry Scan with the NEW CCleaner 210 were the same on both my desktop and notebook. The desktop and notebook each had the same 21 Registry exceptions.

What do I do? Should I delete the 21 exceptions on the desktop and on the notebook? (My husband restored them last night.)

ccleaner73008do7.th.jpg

I looked into the registry on my PC and decided that the enties were in fact unneeded on my PC. There are a lot of entries under HKCR\INTERFACE still; this did not delete many of them at all. And, HKCR\INTERFACES has been around at least back to Windows/2000 as a registry entity.

I looked into the registry on my PC and decided that the enties were in fact unneeded on my PC. There are a lot of entries under HKCR\INTERFACE still; this did not delete many of them at all. And, HKCR\INTERFACES has been around at least back to Windows/2000 as a registry entity.

Where would I look on my computer to find these "HKCR\Interface" files (mentioned in my CC Registry Scan), to see if they are 'empty?

Where would I look on my computer to find these "HKCR\Interface" files (mentioned in my CC Registry Scan), to see if they are 'empty?

Well, i think they are safe to delete, since it says "Missing Typelib reference". Didn't pay attention to that before. They are not empty keys, but there's no reference to Typelib value, and that's why they are invalid. So, just go a head and delete them, but keep the backup, just in case.

Well, i think they are safe to delete, since it says "Missing Typelib reference". Didn't pay attention to that before. They are not empty keys, but there's no reference to Typelib value, and that's why they are invalid. So, just go a head and delete them, but keep the backup, just in case.

Thank you. Would you be kind enough as to tell me how I can locate these "HKCR\Interace" files on my coputer?

• Moderators
ANDAVARI: I notice that you said in one post that you found 33 exceptions and deleted them all. Were those 33 found after the Registry Scan (with the new 210 Cleaner)?

And then in your last post you included about 100 files. Were they also found after the Registry Scan (with the new 210 Cleaner)?

As I said, all my 21 exceptions, found after the Registry Scan (with the new 210 CCleaner), begin with: HKCR\Interface (in my image above).

Should I reinstall them? I am a beginner and all of this is very confusing. Please help and explain so a beginner, like me, can understand.

Thank you.

Alice

You can reinstall them if you wish, or like what I'm going to do which is just leave the backup .reg file on your computer for lets say 3 months as a registry problem can take a long time to show up. I doubt that the new feature those 'Type Libraries' are going to cause a problem, however with that said I'm still keeping the backup I have just in case it's needed, simply because I don't know.

I'm only going by 33 which was the number CCleaner's registry cleaner stated I had, sure the actual .reg file looks like more than 33 issues but there's allot of duplication in it pertaining to the exact same thing. And yes I used CCleaner v2.10.618.

• Moderators

I wouldn't use Vista if someone gave it to me for free, the install disc would be a coaster for drinks. I'm using WinXP SP3.

And like you've stated I also think the registry issues are just subkeys, or another reference to a main key.

Thank you.

#1-So, I did nothing wrong by deleting them (and creating the backup)?

#2-These additional entries found after the CC Registry Scan with the new 210 CC update just means that CC is checking for more items in the Registry now.

Alice

Here is copy of the entries that were found after the Registry Scan:

#3- Does it look as though these are the additional files that CC found because of the "new registry cleaning features?"

ccleaner73008do7.th.jpg

http://img177.imageshack.us/img177/5493/ccleaner73008do7.jpg

(Sorry tor the many questions but I am new at this.)

I cannot be certain without actually looking on your PC, but it appears that many, if not all, of these entries might be associated with Microsoft Publisher ActiveX, VB, and VBA controls.

Do you use that program? Did you perhaps have a trial version that came with your version of Office that you never upgraded to be able to use? Did you maybe uninstall publisher or upgrade it yourself to a newer version?

I cannot be certain without actually looking on your PC, but it appears that many, if not all, of these entries might be associated with Microsoft Publisher ActiveX, VB, and VBA controls.

Do you use that program? Did you perhaps have a trial version that came with your version of Office that you never upgraded to be able to use? Did you maybe uninstall publisher or upgrade it yourself to a newer version?

No, I do not use Microsoft Publisher; never did; don't even know what it is.

They only thing I changed, as I said (prior to running the Registry scan with the new CCleaner 210) previoulsy, was that I installed SP3 for my WinXP.

And the same 21 Registry items found on this desktop are the exactly same as the 21 Registry items foung on my notebook (both of them having SP3 recently installed).

No, I do not use Microsoft Publisher; never did; don't even know what it is.

They only thing I changed, as I said (prior to running the Registry scan with the new CCleaner 210) previoulsy, was that I installed SP3 for my WinXP.

And the same 21 Registry items found on this desktop are the exactly same as the 21 Registry items foung on my notebook (both of them having SP3 recently installed).

Do you have Microsoft Office? If you poke around in your START/PROGRAMS list, do you find an entry for Publisher, probably under Office, but perhaps separate?

It is not really my place, to advise you on a forum that is run by those who write the product; they know far more than I.

However, I can tell you what I did to arrive at the conclusion I did.

I searched (just Google, nothing extraordinary) for several of the words in those entries (yours had things like dshapeline and such). I saw quite a few hits for Publisher. Now, you do not have Publisher, per se; however, you do have Works. There could perhaps be some commonality there.

My own opinion is that registry cleaning, while it is something I regularly do myself, is not really all that neccessary. A little clutter in the registry is not going to matter to the performance of your machine. Conversely, removal of needed registry entries can have a major negative impact on your system. Most folks do not have a well thought out and tested backup and recovery scenario, so for them, erring on the side of leaving entries that are unknown is probably safer. I am a neatnik and an organizational fool, so I go to great lengths to keep my machine orderly.

All that said, I removed the entries from mine and have had no apparent ill effects (yet).

Also, now that I have made my opinions on registry cleaning clear, I also want to go on record as saying that one of the other major components of CCleaner, the cleaner tab itself, used wisely, can have a tremendous impact on the performance of your system. By regularly cleaing out, well, the crap, and then by weekly, or a couple of times a month, defragmenting the drives, one can achieve and maintain a well-performing system. I've not found many products, free or cost, that do as good a job at this as CCleaner.

CCleaner 2.10 wipes out "IsShortcut" entries causing problems (double entry effect) with shortcut menus!

To prevent this add the following to excluded areas:

HKCR\internetshortcut

HKCR\lnkfile

HKCR\piffile

Amateurs, geez!

CCleaner 2.10 wipes out "IsShortcut" entries causing problems (double entry effect) with shortcut menus!
It does not on my XP Pro system

t1310_isshort.png

"Education is what remains after one has forgotten everything he learned in school." - Albert Einstein

IE7Pro user

To prevent this add the following to excluded areas:

HKCR\internetshortcut

HKCR\lnkfile

HKCR\piffile

Amateurs, geez!

Thanks for your expert input MR pro :rolleyes:

Registry cleaning is basicly only needed, after you have uninstalled, and also installed programs.

My point is that programmatic registry cleaning is never "needed", although I do perform registry cleaning regularly myself and have found that the registry cleaners I do regularly use are generally reliable and accurate.