Cleaning up Startup entries

xbrianx

Is it normal to have many processes when you first turn on your computer? I normally have about 47 at first, then it goes down to 42. It would be slightly less, but I just installed Avast! and I have a few extra processes running. I was wondering if anyone could help me clean up some of the Startup entries and maybe Services. I've been Googling some of these all morning, but I don't feel comfortable following some of the sites and user's suggestions.

I only have 15 Startup entries:

smax4pnp

jusched

iaanotif

atiptaxx

sgtray

tfswctrl

regshave

aoldial

aolsoftware

motivesb

ashdish

digital line detect

netgear wpn(wireless card name)

tabuserw.exe

adobe gamma

I know atiptaxx is for the ATI Control Panel, but I've disabled the icon from the tray since day one. I don't ever remember using it, so I think it's safe to disable? Also, the MotiveSB is from Verizon DSL, but I'm now using Comcast Wireless. The two AOL entries are from some stupid update that it made me install, and now I have an AOL icon on my System Tray. It's gray when I'm not connected to the internet, and blue when I am. I don't use AOL, can I disable those two too? Thanks.

• Moderators

You could try running StartUpLite from Malwarebytes:

Link:

It's a pretty good guide to useless Startup items, and here's the list of what it deems unnecessary.

Link:

Hasn't been updated for a while, but still some useful descriptions of Startup items. For example, motivesb in your startup which is possibly Motive SmartBridge, and has an explanation in their list.

You could try running StartUpLite from Malwarebytes:

Link:

It's a pretty good guide to useless Startup items, and here's the list of what it deems unnecessary.

Link:

Hasn't been updated for a while, but still some useful descriptions of Startup items. For example, motivesb in your startup which is possibly Motive SmartBridge, and has an explanation in their list.

Thanks for that program, but isn't MSConfig okay for disabling entries too? :blink: I'm going through that list now, and it looks like I can disable the jusched, motivesb, and the ATI control panel. Thanks. ;)

• Moderators
Thanks for that program, but isn't MSConfig okay for disabling entries too? :blink: I'm going through that list now, and it looks like I can disable the jusched, motivesb, and the ATI control panel. Thanks. ;)

MSConfig is fine, just run StartUpLite as an option/guide to see what you can possibly do without. I maybe should have mentioned that I don't use StartUpLite to do the disabling either. Sorry about that.

MSConfig is fine, just run StartUpLite as an option/guide to see what you can possibly do without. I maybe should have mentioned that I don't use StartUpLite to do the disabling either. Sorry about that.

Oh, no, it's fine. I'm just not big on downloading many programs. :lol:

This is why I don't recommend MSConfig

Why can't I use msconfig to change my services?

The reason is because with msconfig and Hardware Profiles, you can disable services that may be vital to boot your system. With the management console (services.msc) you cannot. Also, msconfig, while unchecking the box, is disabling the service.

The "Disable All" button also scares me. It should not even be there as no reason exists to justify disabling "everything."

Not "allowing" people to use msconfig reduces the flames and technical support questions in my inbox from people that fail to read the descriptions I offer with each service and the warnings I attach to them.

http://www.blackviper.com/AskBV/XP25.htm

"Education is what remains after one has forgotten everything he learned in school." - Albert Einstein

IE7Pro user