Want a new Video Card

Pests

Hi, I recently bought a Dell computer for a reasonably good price and in total I'm pretty satisfied with it. However, I would like to upgrade my video card to something better. However, when talking to dell support I found out some things I didn't like to hear.

I would just like some reccomendations on one to buy thats better then my current. I don't want to spend too much money (under 100$ would be awesome, 150$ is probably way too much).

The problem is I have no AGP port, only a PCI port that runs at 33 MHz.

My current video card is "Integrated Intel Extreme Graphics 2" (heh, not really a card then. :)

Thank you!

Hi, I recently bought a Dell computer for a reasonably good price and in total I'm pretty satisfied with it. However, I would like to upgrade my video card to something better. However, when talking to dell support I found out some things I didn't like to hear.

I would just like some reccomendations on one to buy thats better then my current. I don't want to spend too much money (under 100$ would be awesome, 150$ is probably way too much).

The problem is I have no AGP port, only a PCI port that runs at 33 MHz.

My current video card is "Integrated Intel Extreme Graphics 2" (heh, not really a card then. :)

Thank you!

Before you buy anything, check your power supply to see how many watts it will put out. I'm running a XFX brand Nvidia 5200 FX 128Mb PCI card in my HP computer with a 250 watt power supply and it works great. Newegg has the same card in 256 Mb for a little more. Didn't have that when I bought mine. DAMMIT.

• 1 month later...

No need to vendor bash. If you don't mind me saying, you're talking rubbish. Look into the facts and back up your words with those. nVidia is generally better in OpenGL. ATi generally does DirextX better. As most games run under DX, it doesn't make sense to be a fanboy and rule out ATi, now does it?

Let's look at this realistically. The nVidia FX range was pretty much awful. Ati's Radeon 9xxx range owned that fair and square. nVidia released the 6xxx series and was on top for a ltittle while. Not for long though, as ATi's equivalent cards performed better and didn't cost as much. Now we have the nVidia 7xxx range, and it won't be long before ATi knocks out their card to crush the nVidia. See a pattern yet? It's all swings and roundabouts -- one manufacturer releases their new hot product, then the product gets crushed by it's rival. Same thing happens years after year, and it will continue to do so whilever there's more than one choice. This is good. It means that prices are kept reasonable and the market isn't dominated by one manufacturer. So, a couple of months down the line there might be something better than nVidia or ATi's current powerhouse. This is why it doesn't make sense to be a fanboy, you should just buy whatever card offers the best performance for the money at any given time.