How long does CCleaner take for you?

fogster

I'm just curious what the 'average' time is for people... On my machine (~30GB disk used, slow 5400 RPM), it takes no more than 30 seconds to 'analyze' the system in CCleaner. On my mom's laptop, it takes a good 10 minutes. (No, no viruses, and the drive gets defragged routinely. ~20GB disk usage.)

I'm just wondering which system is closer to the norm, and if anyone has any recommendations for what could be slowing things down so much on the second computer?

I'm just curious what the 'average' time is for people... On my machine (~30GB disk used, slow 5400 RPM), it takes no more than 30 seconds to 'analyze' the system in CCleaner. On my mom's laptop, it takes a good 10 minutes. (No, no viruses, and the drive gets defragged routinely. ~20GB disk usage.)

I'm just wondering which system is closer to the norm, and if anyone has any recommendations for what could be slowing things down so much on the second computer?

Hi fogster,

Your time is more normal and your mom's PC is very abnormal.

Check task manager on her machine to see what CPU usage and such is going on when running CCleaner on her machine .

Are you both using the same security software and the same settings?

She doesn't need to defrag that often anyhow.

It certainly seems that something else is running when she is running CCleaner.

It could be conflicts of scheduled tasks.

When exactly in her processing day is she running CCleaner.I hope it is not at start-up with other things also running at start-up.

Let us know these answers plus OS etc.

I figure somewhere between 1-2 seconds per MB to "analyze" and less to clean(No "secure delete").

Best wishes,

:) davey

Edited by davey

Check task manager on her machine to see what CPU usage and such is going on when running CCleaner on her machine .

I just ran it earlier, hence my question. Nothing else running, fresh after a virus scan. She's "only" got a gig of RAM and a 2.6 (?) GHz processor, but nothing else was running. (Aside from the usual background processes.)

Are you both using the same security software and the same settings?

Huh, this could be it... She runs Norton, which does seem to enjoy taking control of everything going on. Are there known issues with CCleaner and Norton? I can't imagine it would slow things down that much, especially when it's just I/O reads, not file manipulation. (Referring to the 'analyze'/'scan' bit.)

When exactly in her processing day is she running CCleaner.I hope it is not at start-up with other things also running at start-up.

No no, it's run on demand, typically by me. Definitely not at startup, and definitely not when a million other things are trying to use the disk.

I just ran it earlier, hence my question. Nothing else running, fresh after a virus scan. She's "only" got a gig of RAM and a 2.6 (?) GHz processor, but nothing else was running. (Aside from the usual background processes.)

Huh, this could be it... She runs Norton, which does seem to enjoy taking control of everything going on. Are there known issues with CCleaner and Norton? I can't imagine it would slow things down that much, especially when it's just I/O reads, not file manipulation. (Referring to the 'analyze'/'scan' bit.)

No no, it's run on demand, typically by me. Definitely not at startup, and definitely not when a million other things are trying to use the disk.

Try turning Norton off if such a thing exists.It's been awhile since I have had it long before CCleaner.

Many security programs look at CCleaner with a lot of suspicion.

I leave my security on AVG or Avast with no problems.

I have 256 MB pent 4 2.8 Gh

Anything Norton ( Symantec ) is as large as the Titanic.

Un-install it and get another anti virus application like avast!

http://www.avast.com/eng/download-avast-home.html

"Education is what remains after one has forgotten everything he learned in school." - Albert Einstein

IE7Pro user

It tends to be if you're using secure deletion, but normal deletion is too quick to notice any extraneous noises.

I don't use secure deletion. I use /AUTO shortcut. It's a quick deletion, but usually hard drive makes noises during the cleaning.

I don't use secure deletion. I use /AUTO shortcut. It's a quick deletion, but usually hard drive makes noises during the cleaning.

Hi CeeCee,

No pun intended because I frequently use the phrase.

This does not sound to good at all.

What does CHKDisk or HDTune show for your drive?

How many files are involved in your CCleaning? You might want to turn on the options for detailed log of your Temporary Int. Files.

What is the size of your MFT and how many fragments? This could cause thrashing depending on where those fragments are and where the related files are located. Also the relative location of your Page file and if it is fragmented also.

I can't remember are you Vista or XP?. Vista defragger will defrag the MFT from what I have read.There is also a commercial XP defragger that shrinks the MFT.

Hope that is it and not your drive itself causing that noise as it goes bad..

P.S. I don't know what your data files may be like. I have teens of folders containing hundreds of thousands of "password " protected files.It took me a while to learn to keep them away from CCleaner and a couple of security programs that would generate 400 MB log files when I scanned. :lol:

Edited by davey

• Moderators

Hummm does your mom surf the Inet more than you? I would (Before ANY of the other sugestions above) look at the size of the analyze (don't use auto, open CCleaner and click anayze on both computers) Next try and check each of the Windows options and Application Options off one by one.

Do you clean yours more than hers (this is sounding dirty, NO? ;)

If you don't use norton on yours and she does it may be the cleaning of> Utilities> Symantec Antivirus

or it may be her iechache size. after a cleaning on her computer if you clean again is it faster?

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

Hello fogster,

We are as curious as you are.

Many member have given their input and many have viewed this thread.

When you can,let us know what is happening.

That way we all benefit from this interesting thread. :P

Hello fogster,

We are as curious as you are.

Many member have given their input and many have viewed this thread.

When you can,let us know what is happening.

That way we all benefit from this interesting thread. :P

hi there i have been using CCleaner for quite a while over a year when i 1st got it it was like lightning fast then all of a sudden for no reason it slowed up BIG TIME :/ like 5 mins a scan...

but after reading this thread i decided to follow advice and turn off norton a/v and firewall for a min and WOW took like 3 secs to find 169 mb of crap :)

so YES its norton slowing it up :(

which brings me to my question HOW TO STOP NORTON DOING THIS lol........other than getting rid of it which i aint gonna do yet as its done me proud tbh..

so any ideas would be cooool BBFN :)

which brings me to my question HOW TO STOP NORTON DOING THIS lol........other than getting rid of it which i aint gonna do yet as its done me proud tbh..
Oh dear looks like some help is needed here.

I guess you have the money to purchase a system that is capable of running NORTON and unfortunately many of us here do not have that luxury.

You have two choices

• Live with it

• Dump NORTON

I prefer avast! and some prefer avira and there are some diehard AVG fans about.

If you do decide to un-install NORTON then you will need to go through several steps as NORTON insures that you can't install any other anti virus application until you rip all evidence of NORTON from your system.

You will need:

http://service1.symantec.com/Support/tsgen...005033108162039

Then reboot then go to start then Run then regedit then Edit then Find... all Norton entries and delete the plethora of entries then do a find on Symantec delete the plethora of entries.

Chose one of the other recommended anti virus applcations.

"Education is what remains after one has forgotten everything he learned in school." - Albert Einstein

IE7Pro user

What about Zone Alarm in regards to CCleaner?
I don't run ZoneAlarm now so I can't help but when I did ages ago it really slows down browsing.

I only run XP's firewall as I am connected with DSL and my ISP's modem has a built in firewall that protects me from nasty incoming stuff.

I use

• Windows Defender and WinPatrol PLUS to let me know what applications are running

• avast! anti virus

• TCPView to see what applications are communicating on the Internet

IE7Pro user

hi there i have been using CCleaner for quite a while over a year when i 1st got it it was like lightning fast then all of a sudden for no reason it slowed up BIG TIME :/ like 5 mins a scan...

but after reading this thread i decided to follow advice and turn off norton a/v and firewall for a min and WOW took like 3 secs to find 169 mb of crap :)

so YES its norton slowing it up :(

so any ideas would be cooool BBFN :)

Hello WASSUP,

I think every A/V affects CCleaner's speed. I am not aware of any Firewalls affecting it.

Either you just know it's happening and run with it on or turn it off to run CCleaner quicker and then turn it back on.

Best wishes,

• 3 years later...