Floppy drive stopped working

bpm3k

Yesterday my floppy drive worked. Today it does not.

Device manager shows that there is a floppy drive installed and that it is working properly. But it does not access it. I tried booting with a floppy in the drive and it does not detect the disk. I put the several differant discs in the drive and when I select the A: my computer says "insert a disc in drive a." Despite haveing discs in there. The green activity light never comes on. I have already checked the wiring and everything is still plugged in nice and tight.

What happened?

My computer:

LanParty UT nF3 250Gb

Some OEM floppy drive

Windows XP Pro fully patched (can't load DBAN either so not software)

• Moderators

You can try cleaning it with something like this:

http://www.staples.com/Catalog/Browse/Sku....pe=1&Sku=493806

I have a feeling that like a cd rom drive a once a floppy drive starts to malfunction theirs not much you can do. If your pc is still under waranty than make the company who made your pc fix it.

Things to try:

cleaning

update drivers

• Moderators

Might as well try. Thats the first thing those stupid tech support people on the phone would tell you. I know Ive spent hours and hours on the phone with those dumb people at the HP support line. Half the time I couldnt even understand what they were saying (They were from India or the middle east some where). so to your smart ass remark Andavari I say: :P. :lol:

• Moderators

Sorry to hear about your loss. You need to bury it in your background and give it a nice little funeral. That is the least it deserves...

Your Friendly Neighborhood Piriform Forum Moderator

Quick Links: CCleaner Products | CCleaner Documentation | Knowledge Center | Downloads | Lost License Key

Well the good news is i figured out how to load the raid drivers without it. I built this computer myself. I had purchased the floppy drive OEM from the PC Club down the road. I have an extra drive I can try swapping and seeing if it works. I don't use the drive that often. I pretty much only use it to run DBAN or load drivers. It is around 1.5 years old. And as I mentioned it just stopped working all of the sudden.

This has been the most difficult reinstall ever. Even my slipstreamed xp sp2 disc was giving me errors. So on my third try I used my regular xp sp1 disc. And now I am haveing issues with my ethernet drivers.